🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

Huge Coldplay fan adding my thoughts. Like most people I think the early stuff is best (VLV is my favourite) but I also really enjoy their recent output. 

Only a few listens in so this could change but:

Listening to this album made me wince, and cringe. I didn't listen to Overtura or any of the unreleased/live only songs, so was looking forward to hearing the new sounds, especially POTP, with all the praise it was getting.

I was disappointed to find POTP really cringe worthy, its sounds like they tried to make a big snarling and mean rock song, but it sounds like an uninteresting Muse b-side, the 'big' riff makes no impression whatsoever, and whilst its nice the lyrics are from the man who swears, they seem totally random in the supposed concept of the album.

I know Chris isn't the best lyricist, and that's fine, but I feel overall the lyrics on this album are really weak, using the same old repetition tricks etc.. the lyrics are so bland and don't tell any stories or concept.

The transition tracks left me scratching my head - they've done these in the past and I've enjoyed them but on this album they seem utterly pointless, Alien Choir and MOTS2 for instance. 

Apart from Coloratura, I enjoyed Biutyful a lot, probably because you can actually hear some instrumentation/melody with the guitar. Apart from that the songs sound so manufactured and are really missing an element that all Coldplay albums have had for me, that soul, authenticity and bit of magic and emotion. Even AHFOD which I think is their weakest has this.

Obviously its unlikely you will love an album from first listen, but this was the hardest first listen I've had with this band. I will try and let it grow on me, but i'm fairly confident this will rank as their weakest effort unfortunately. 

I'm all for them being experimental, trying different styles and doing a really poppy album, but I just think most of the songs don't have much substance, regardless of style/genre.

A disappointing step after EL for sure. Someone else said it on r/Coldplay but I agree they need to focus on being 'better' not 'bigger'.

Edited by FJK_12
  • Like 4
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys!!! Last Monday an Italian newspaper published a brief interview with violinist Davide Rossi. I'm Italian and live in Italy, so I promptly went to the newsagent's and bought the paper. In

LEAK  

My special edition CD came early...so it's just leaked inside my house 😀

Posted Images

This is going to be a bit of a longer post, because a lot of the posts here have been quite thoughtful -- and slightly more naunced than what I've read over at Coldplay reddit.

I do think to some extent the album's release has suffered from what I call "MX-itis." I remember when that album came out that people were kind of throwing their hands up and saying "well, that's it?" Coldplay typically pulls two types of releases off: very short schedule (Everyday Life) or the long grind (MOTS/MX). This was the latter, and so we heard five of the main songs before it came out -- and if you count Colortura as two songs worth than most of the album.

On the merits, I think this is a strong cohesive effort. Max Martin does a great job on production and it is a lot less washed than say AHFOD. I like the Everyday Life style a lot myself, but I knew walking in that this was a pop album, and I think on that front it really excels.

It'll take me a few listens to really figure out what I like the best -- but I am gravitating strongly towards Infinity Sign, Humankind, Human Heart and shockingly to me, Biutyful. Maybe it's something about the chorus which is incredible catchy (love me, love me, love meee) - it's really heartfelt and something that definitely hit me in the heartstrings. It's really simple too. I liked Cry Cry Cry a lot so, maybe this is just built for people like me.

In terms of songs I felt the "least"? I'd have to definitely say the transitions that are fine, but whatever. Let Some Body Go is a bit of a grower - I have friends who have instantly connected with it - and those like myself who are trying to find it. I think it's in line with Everglow and Fun though off of recent albums.

Let me say a word about Infinity Sign. As a big Don Quixote fan, you can trace its origins back to that tour (especially with the Ole, Ole, part). I like the fact that they stripped the lyrics and that it's a full song. It feels like the sister moon to one of my favorite Coldplay songs of all time - Life in Technicolor. I can't say much more than it hit me in a special spot during a morning run when first unveiling the album today. I can totally see them moving from the B-side to the main stage for an encore during the track. What a gift. And I think like LiT will benefit from not putting lyrics (which haven't been Chris's strong suit in every thing) into it - the ending is haunting.

To give Chris some credit, I do think that there is a lot of creativity on this album. Whether it's the Korean parts in My Universe or the way Infinity Sign is set up, or the lyrics to People of the Pride. Can we also say these songs have the best Coldplay outros of any album (Higher Power, POTP, Infinity Sign, Coloratura)?

I get why fans get frustrated when Coldplay does a lot of the music unveiling pre-launch (MX-itis). But to me this album is a slam dunk better pop piece than AHFOD. The latter just didn't take the dreamy concept where it could have gone beyond the great Rumi Guest House portions. Plus, the colabs here feel a lot more natural and spurred from interest musically -- though of course BTS will sell albums, both that and the Selena/WeAreKing collabs feel like good female counterparts. 

Anyways, I won't rate the album yet, but I will say I think there's a lot of nuance on here and for me it's currently ahead of AHFOD and somewhere in the ether space of GS/EL but below MX and Viva. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Went in with low expectations. And after the first listen, came out with a resounding meh. Coloratura, a song that could have been a high light of their career, gets lost in all the filler and mostly forgettable music on the record. And what did they do to pride of the people?! The raw energy in the live version is completely lost trying to make the song what it is not, with a trendy modern production. Only songs I want to immediately give a second listen to are humankind, infinity sign and biutyful.

So this album is a miss for me. But I'm really looking forward to having a wonderful time in the tour. And huge props to the band on the amount of work they have done to make it more sustainable!

PS: higher power does become so much better in the context of the album. And I liked it to begin with.

I cant understand why do you see in "infinity sign" that most of you like this "song". Its jus synthesizer and people saying "olé olé".

With the critics, I think that the point its not that they do new music or different styles. They have been doing that since the begginning. The main problem here is that what they do is, in general, very very bad. Its a very poor album. Very short and with lot of ¿padding?, I mean, songs that you fell that should not be there cause they dont mean nothing, are emptu, like Infinity Sign.

Coldplay, and specially Chris Martin, has entered in to a poppy sound mix with lot of collaborations that yes, maybe they can came to nº1 in lot of harts and have lots of reproductions in spotify and youtube, but that will lead them to the path of musical irrelevance. Songs like Yellow or Fix You will remain in your memory for decades. SJLT or MU will soon be forgotten because they don't mean anything and every year a lot of the same songs are made. Its very sad that they only can win the º1 charts with collaborations. Sorry, Im very dissapointing with that.

And dont understand why people said that the production is so good. What they do with people of the pride its awful!

P.D: In Spain there is a mistake with Warner and the Album wont come until a few days... 😞 

Edited by ToniMoreno
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Incoming with some hot hot hot takes 

- POTP is the biggest missed opportunity on the album imo. The demo had a lot of promise and the live versions were intriguing, but turning it into a Max Martin produced glam rock stomper is not it. They should've saved the demo for one of the more alternative leaning albums. 

- The same is true for Spanish Rain/Don Quixote/Life is Beautiful and Infinity Sign. It's kind of a shame to witness a song evolve over the course of a decade, only to be reduced to an instrumental interlude. 

- I don't know how much truth there is to the rumour that MOTS and EL were written around the same time, but if that's the case I really wish Coloratura was used for EL instead. It fits EL's more understated and experimental vibe perfectly and does not fit MOTS at all. It's a bit weird wishing an album didn't have its best song on it, but honestly MOTS works better as a unified piece without it. 

Edited by Famous Old Painter
  • Like 2

After what Chris said of them being so disappointed about the reception of EL it was clear that their next album would be a poppy one that would be liked by everybody. They seem to have created this album with the only goal to go on tour with it, and this accounts for its flaws as well as its merits. They always said they wanted to get better not bigger, but they have done the opposite. They have aimed for the stars. They thought they would be able to conquer the universe but sadly enough they only created a mediocre album with some good songs, some bad ones and only one brilliant song, Coloratura. It lacks authenticity. Perhaps the album will grow on me but after listening to the whole album twice I still feel a bit disappointed. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, merril said:

After what Chris said of them being so disappointed about the reception of EL it was clear that their next album would be a poppy one that would be liked by everybody. They seem to have created this album with the only goal to go on tour with it, and this accounts for its flaws as well as its merits. They always said they wanted to get better not bigger, but they have done the opposite. They have aimed for the stars. They thought they would be able to conquer the universe but sadly enough they only created a mediocre album with some good songs, some bad ones and only one brilliant song, Coloratura. It lacks authenticity. Perhaps the album will grow on me but after listening to the whole album twice I still feel a bit disappointed. 

I agree with you, it was well known that this album would be poppy and more for the charts. I think that's why I'm not that disappointed, I see it for what it is. EL is a gem to me but is not the right product for the growing fast disposable consumerism (I think that's why a Social Network with short videos as TikTok is so popular nowadays). The true is that those who control the charts know what sells the best, and Coldplay tried to stay active among new generations. I don't hate new music and styles, that's why I enjoy some poppy songs and is better if they are from Coldplay! Of course every negative opinion is completely valid, but that's the formula Coldplay is using right now 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Famous Old Painter said:

Incoming with some hot hot hot takes 

- POTP is the biggest missed opportunity on the album imo. The demo had a lot of promise and the live versions were intriguing, but turning it into a Max Martin produced glam rock stomper is not it. They should've saved the demo for one of the more alternative leaning albums. 

- The same is true for Spanish Rain/Don Quixote/Life is Beautiful and Infinity Sign. It's kind of a shame to witness a song evolve over the course of a decade, only to be reduced to an instrumental interlude. 

I some how missed the POTP demo. If you or anyone wants to direct me to the location of that and or slide into my DMs , I would be forever thankful. 

agreed in the instrumental , it’s like it got demoted and that’s when it was slapped on an album. 

also my hot take:

I have made a MOTS playlist , but added in space type songs not on other albums and it helps make if feel more complete. 

aliens 

moving to mars 

atlas 

• Like 1

Worst Coldplay album ever. Didn't think that Higher Power would be the best song after Coloratura. It seems that Coldplay is dead. Gonna listen now to AROBTTH and remember the good old times. So dissapointed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

Music of the Spheres doesn't even feel like a Coldplay album. Where is the variation of instruments, the solos, the bass? And what shocks me the most is that they are absolutely capable of making excellent pop songs (Mylo Xyloto and Kaleidoscope EP for example), but MOTS sounds so lazy!

It makes me sad to know that the only song that seems to please 100% of the fans is the one that Max Martin had little involvement. This outside influence diminishes the band's ability to create great songs. I hope the next album makes us forget about this big disappointment.

Edited by cygnus12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, [Coldplay]Andi said:

Worst Coldplay album ever. Didn't think that Higher Power would be the best song after Coloratura. It seems that Coldplay is dead. Gonna listen now to AROBTTH and remember the good old times. So dissapointed.

This is your own opinion...

PS AROBTTH Is my favourite

• Like 1

I dont understand this speech which consists in saying "we have nothing more to prove, we do not care about the criticism" then bring together a cast worthy of a blockbuster to try to do something industrial.

You also have to know how to question yourself sometimes. Be careful, I don't question the artistic feelings, I'm just saying that the goal is to create a good album.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's always an interesting dynamic to see how different other people feel about an album in question vs you.

I disliked Ghost Stories and A Head Fill of Dreams and made my opinion known and complained but there are people who really like those albums, many longtime fans who dig GS which really surprises me.

And then to be on the opposite side, to quite like MX and MotS and seeing people complain about them a lot. But that's the thing, every person is different. Also, all of these albums have been divisive after the incredible expectations Viva left us with. And it's best album of all time in my eyes. 

Everyday Life is the one recent album where almost everyone seems to like it. And I see why, it's fantastic. 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

It's always an interesting dynamic to see how different other people feel about an album in question vs you.

I disliked Ghost Stories and A Head Fill of Dreams and made my opinion known and complained but there are people who really like those albums, many longtime fans who dig GS which really surprises me.

And then to be on the opposite side, to quite like MX and MotS and seeing people complain about them a lot. But that's the thing, every person is different. Also, all of these albums have been divisive after the incredible expectations Viva left us with. And it's best album of all time in my eyes. 

Everyday Life is the one recent album where almost everyone seems to like it. And I see why, it's fantastic. 

I'm totally with you on this one. I like MX a lot and didn't love AHFOD at all. I like MOTS! Ghost Stories is fine, but EL is a jam. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

Viva set amazing expectations down the road that were, imho, only partially fulfilled. On Everyday Life you feel this is Coldplay again and there is plenty of experimentation there, arguably more than on this one, and it wasn't nominated for Album of the year by chance. It's a darn good album. I remember listening to Arabesque the first time and it absolutely didn't feel like this could be a Coldplay song! 

This album will sound great live though, it feels like it was built for the road. But there are far too many forgettable songs on it. 

• Like 2

And I want to reiterate-

As great as Parachutes, ARoBttH and even X&Y are, they weren't wildly different from what was popular *at the time*

If you know about early 2000s music, guitar-based post-grunge and alternative rock was very popular then. I think even a band like Vertical Horizon had a #1 hit. Radiohead, U2 and Oasis were huge influences at the time. Coldplay took from those influences. And they're special albums.

But MX and AHFoD are grandiose with pop influences, MotS and GS are strippped back and have a lot of electronic flourishes. That's what's been popular in the past ten years.

Viva and Everyday Life are the only albums that strike me as radically different from what was popular in their time. 

Coldplay has often made music alongside what is popular in that moment. Does that make it bad? No. Does it make Parachutes or ARoBttH or MX  or MotS any less special to me? No. But again. I don't know how this is a surprise to people when you really think about it. Every artist is influenced by what is going on around them at any given time. You can claim they're "selling out" for this or that reason but yeah. Take that for what it's worth. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this album is really hit and miss for me. Unfortunately more misses than hits. It starts off okay with Higher Power and Humankind (which was clearly written to be performed in stadiums) but then...

is pretty empty like the other interludes (🌍 is the most pointless of them all, literally why). I don't understand why they put Let Somebody Go and Human Heart there right next to each other, it makes me sleepy, sorry :uhoh2:. I find Let Somebody Go incredibly dull, definitely a skip for me.

However then People Of The Pride swiftly makes me wake up again. I don't mind the production, I just have to get used to it after hearing it live first. It's a shame though Chris doesn't sound as angry in the verses, that's one of my favourite things about the live version. But I'll get used to that too I guess. It's still powerfull as fuck  :heart:

Biutyful is another miss for me, just no. Also, wtf is that spelling. Reminds me of how I used to think English words were spelled back when I was 10 and didn't speak any English.

My Universe is good at what it wants to be if that makes sense, it's not really my bag, especially the chorus. But I like the verses and the Korean. The outro absolutely slaps, best part of the song.

♾ is definitely my favourite emoji song (phrase I never thought I'd write in my lifetime). Jon Hopkins supremacy!!! Maybe a bit too many olé olé olés, but that's a detail.

And yeah, the they just end the album with one of the greatest pieces of music they've ever written. It's weird. I agree with those who said it doesn't belong on this album. But hey, I'm very glad it exists.

So if you think I'll be buying tour tickets solely for People Of The Pride and Coloratura (ok and Humankind and Infinity are nice too) ...then, yes, you are correct. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

“Humankind”

“You can sketch ideas out in the studio sometimes, and that was one we were really kind of struggling with before Max took the reins. It didn't sound very fresh; it had a good energy, but was maybe just a little bit too rock for us, and he really gave it more of a modern shine. It could be from just editing the basic song and the song structure or it could be adjusting slightly the rhythm pattern to make it all stick together better.”

“People of the Pride”
“We started the song probably over 10 years ago and couldn’t really finish it. Again, this was one which Max really helped shape sonically. The way we had it before, it sounded a little bit old-fashioned, almost like glam rock. What Max managed to do was take the energy and layer in a way which preserved that feel but also made it sound very modern at the same time.”

It hurts like so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

I cant understand why do you see in "infinity sign" that most of you like this "song". Its jus synthesizer and people saying "olé olé".

With the critics, I think that the point its not that they do new music or different styles. They have been doing that since the begginning. The main problem here is that what they do is, in general, very very bad. Its a very poor album. Very short and with lot of ¿padding?, I mean, songs that you fell that should not be there cause they dont mean nothing, are emptu, like Infinity Sign.

Coldplay, and specially Chris Martin, has entered in to a poppy sound mix with lot of collaborations that yes, maybe they can came to nº1 in lot of harts and have lots of reproductions in spotify and youtube, but that will lead them to the path of musical irrelevance. Songs like Yellow or Fix You will remain in your memory for decades. SJLT or MU will soon be forgotten because they don't mean anything and every year a lot of the same songs are made. Its very sad that they only can win the º1 charts with collaborations. Sorry, Im very dissapointing with that.

And dont understand why people said that the production is so good. What they do with people of the pride its awful!

P.D: In Spain there is a mistake with Warner and the Album wont come until a few days... 😞 

I sense an overwhelming sense of judgment and superiority in your post, even though I don't think that's what you were going for. 

If you don't like electronica then you don't, that's fine. But you don't have to call it a "song" like it isn't actually music. It's not "just synth", as if it doesnt take any talent to play that just because it's not a piano. I love that little "ting ting ting." It actually reminds me a lot of the song for Star City in Diddy Kong Racing. The guitar parts are melodic and well mixed with everything else. Not dissonant or overpowering, not underused either. It's one of my favorite uses of guitars on the album, even though it's not traditional per se. Like someone else said, the vocals at the end are haunting and compelling. It's such an interesting and nuanced progression, as someone who listens to music like this. Jon did such a great job mixing this track.:thinking:

Like I said earlier, Yellow and Fix You are not terribly different from a lot of alternative rock songs made from that time even though I personally love them. In fact, people have claimed striking similarities between Fix You and a lesser known track by Elbow. 

Who decides that a song "doesn't mean anything?" I hate Magic's lyrics but that also doesn't mean there aren't people who like it's simplicity and relate to it. And SJLT's best quality is the lyrics, it's the music that brings in down, I think. Regardless, SJLT was #2 on the charts in the US and My Universe is currently #1. You can say it will be forgotten because you don't like it (and I don't really either) but opinions are subjective and no one knows what will be remembered twenty years from now. 

I realize I'm doing a lot of philosophy here in this thread haha

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi guys !

Have you noticed the audio files have been corrected on Spotify ? Now at least the tracks follow each other smoothly... I have to admit I prefer the album this way (no kidding ?).

I actually rediscovered it tonight without those "bugs". The instrumental emoji songs make more sense, the album fits better as a whole... I may grow into liking this one ! And I think the live concerts will make me love it at the end !

Don't trash too much this band we all love, maybe you'll prefer the previous album, maybe you'll prefer the next one. At the end, as wanted by these guys, we'll all be one in front of the stage 🙂

Edited by Scorthes
  • Love 3
  • stephen changed the title to 🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion