✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

1 hour ago, marcofratini said:

And do you think humankind too will be released as a single? I really hope so…

On the Alien Radio broadcast a couple weeks ago, Phil asked the listeners whether Humankind or People of the Pride should be a single (since many were asking about it). So I’d say one of the two will be a single at some point, with aΒ music video at leastΒ 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marcofratini said:

And do you think humankind too will be released as a single? I really hope so…

Let Somebody Go is pretty much confirmed to be a single, but I'd say either HumankindΒ orΒ People Of The Pride could be singles, but not both. I could see however the other song being included on a futureΒ EP (Aurora?) should there be one.

16 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

2022 = 20 years of AROBTTH, 24 years of career.

FFTF2024. I don't know, maybe I'm just tripping.

A rumour elsewhere is that it refers to the final album, Coldplay, and stands for Finale For The Fans 2024. If it's true, and assuming Coldplay go ahead with the second and third parts of MOTS, it would mean Coldplay would be releasing a new album every year until 2024. After Coldplay/FFTF2024, who knows what will come next. I'm quite tempted to start a MOTSv2 thread even before we know it's going to happen.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, Doomotron said:

Let Somebody Go is pretty much confirmed to be a single, but I'd say either HumankindΒ orΒ People Of The Pride could be singles, but not both. I could see however the other song being included on a futureΒ EP (Aurora?) should there be one.

A rumour elsewhere is that it refers to the final album, Coldplay, and stands for Finale For The Fans 2024. If it's true, and assuming Coldplay go ahead with the second and third parts of MOTS, it would mean Coldplay would be releasing a new album every year until 2024. After Coldplay/FFTF2024, who knows what will come next. I'm quite tempted to start a MOTSv2 thread even before we know it's going to happen.

Interesting. For a moment, I really believed that FFTF2024 was related to "Fit For The Future", an environmental effort, supported by the band, with a strategic plan 2019-2024.Β 

However, after Chris's revelations about the 3 remaining releases, and then the end (at least with album releases, because he acknowledge plans for following doing concerts), that rumour makes a lot of sense. FFTF will be, somehow, the name of that last album (even when Chris said that the name will be just "Coldplay").Β 

Finale For The Fans?... I don't think so. It won't be a finale for the fans, because it seems that they will follow doing stuff, so thatΒ won't be a "Series Finale". Figures For The Future (including songs never released before)?, Forever Friends, Together Forward (a beautiful final message for fans)?. It should be anything, but for sure it will be that last album name.Β 

As a personal note, it could be quite emotional if they end their path as more early Coldplay, than a poppy Coldplay. Time will say.Β 

Stay safe!.Β Forever Friends, Together Forward!

Edited by jluismujica
  • Love 1
  • Care 3

14 hours ago, jluismujica said:

As a personal note, it could be quite emotional if they end their path as more early Coldplay, than a poppy Coldplay. Time will say.Β 

I somehow feel that they won'tΒ end where they started (because they have evolved and experimented a lot), but that at the same time I think that they won't ignore their starting point in their last album. However it's still early to make predictions which are more than opinions

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jluismujica said:

Interesting. For a moment, I really believed that FFTF2024 was related to "Fit For The Future", an environmental effort, supported by the band, with a strategic plan 2019-2024.Β 

However, after Chris's revelations about the 3 remaining releases, and then the end (at least with album releases, because he acknowledge plans for following doing concerts), that rumour makes a lot of sense. FFTF will be, somehow, the name of that last album (even when Chris said that the name will be just "Coldplay").Β 

Finale For The Fans?... I don't think so. It won't be a finale for the fans, because it seems that they will follow doing stuff, so thatΒ won't be a "Series Finale". Figures For The Future (including songs never released before)?, Forever Friends, Together Forward (a beautiful final message for fans)?. It should be anything, but for sure it will be that last album name.Β 

Stay safe!.Β Forever Friends, Together Forward!

I was thinking about this as well…. Another good guess is β€œFinished For The Fans” - songs that didn’t quite make an album or EP. During a live stream a year or so ago, he mentioned a new version of UFO and.. Us Against the World ?? When will these see the light of day?? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sa_spurs_tx said:

I was thinking about this as well…. Another good guess is β€œFinished For The Fans” - songs that didn’t quite make an album or EP. During a live stream a year or so ago, he mentioned a new version of UFO and.. Us Against the World ?? When will these see the light of day?? ?

I would love this.

Perhaps i heard rumors FFTF 2024 is "Fight For the Future" Coldplay Anime coming in 2024, about climate change, LMBTQ, pride etc.

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, sa_spurs_tx said:

I was thinking about this as well…. Another good guess is β€œFinished For The Fans” - songs that didn’t quite make an album or EP. During a live stream a year or so ago, he mentioned a new version of UFO and.. Us Against the World ?? When will these see the light of day?? ?

That's absolutely right!. What it seems to be totally feasible, is that discarded songs will be somehow part of the last path of the adventure. I don't have doubts on that. We've time to see...Β  Β in the meantime, the spheres will be the subject for "some" time. Stay Safe sa_spurs_tx!

"FinishedΒ ForΒ The Fans” isn't a bad idea.

It would be great if it was bird related, Coldplay loves inserting bird imagery.

Fly ,Β FlockΒ TogetherΒ  Forever

Β 

On another note, I woke up today with a Coldplay related dream. I don't remember much however it seemed like I was seated in a school assembly place and there was tons of mood lighting and suddenly this man introduced Coldplay. Everyone in the crowd was surprised just seemed very unexpected. I forget what they played because my subconscious was jarred by the whole event and I started to wake up. lolΒ 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 2:27 AM, Dexynboy said:

Perhaps i heard rumors FFTF 2024 is "Fight For the Future" Coldplay Anime coming in 2024, about climate change, LMBTQ, pride etc.

When I looked into the "Fight For The Future" term, gave me these results:

Fight for the FutureΒ (often abbreviatedΒ fightfortheftrΒ orΒ FFTF) is aΒ nonprofitΒ advocacy groupΒ in the area ofΒ digital rightsΒ founded in 2011.Β The group aims to promote causes related toΒ copyrightΒ legislation, as well asΒ online privacyΒ andΒ censorshipΒ through the use of theΒ Internet.

---

There is a real possibility Coldplay wanted to support this. I don't know for a fact however I know they like to give to various causes so I don't want to rule it out.

6 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

On another note, I woke up today with a Coldplay related dream.

I also had a similar dream recently!!!

Anyway, can you tell me more about this:

On 11/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, sa_spurs_tx said:

During a live stream a year or so ago, he mentioned a new version of UFO and.. Us Against the World ??

Does someone among you remember the interview?

I'm curious what people think about the anticipated Music of the Spheres Vol. 2 and Vol. 3. Personally, I'm feeling a bit miffed about how MOTS was supposed to tell a story and have metaphorical planets and how it basically dropped the ball completely on that promise. Sure, the planet concepts and alien languages are cool, but musically and lyrically the band seemed to put NO EFFORT into telling a story.Β 

I'd like to say the music videos are helping, but there's really not anything connecting HP to MU. Personally, I'm afraid the band is gonna keep on creating "planets" which are just random sounding pop songs for two more albums and we'll have three albums that don't really tell any story. I am coming into this question with a bias, as now that the album's been out for a month I think it's safe to say it's Coldplay's worst, and user scores and critic scores seem to agree. I'm glad the album is connecting with so many people but I think the concept feels empty. Will they improve on it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Β 

4 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

I'm curious what people think about the anticipated Music of the Spheres Vol. 2 and Vol. 3. Personally, I'm feeling a bit miffed about how MOTS was supposed to tell a story and have metaphorical planets and how it basically dropped the ball completely on that promise. Sure, the planet concepts and alien languages are cool, but musically and lyrically the band seemed to put NO EFFORT into telling a story.Β 

I'd like to say the music videos are helping, but there's really not anything connecting HP to MU. Personally, I'm afraid the band is gonna keep on creating "planets" which are just random sounding pop songs for two more albums and we'll have three albums that don't really tell any story. I am coming into this question with a bias, as now that the album's been out for a month I think it's safe to say it's Coldplay's worst, and user scores and critic scores seem to agree. I'm glad the album is connecting with so many people but I think the concept feels empty. Will they improve on it?

That’s a bold claim when AHFOD is right there…

If it’s lore you’re after, you’ll find that quite easily on Humankind, People of the Pride and Coloratura (the top 3Β of the album IMO), possibly with Biutyful too but that’s still a mystery for me. These songs in particular seem to tell us about themselves in relation to their spheres. Of course we would all like a bit more of the story of the Spheres, but how about we wait for more music videos and material to be released before making judgement calls on that?

Keep in mind too all of the songs are actually about us on earth and are simple love songs according to Chris Martin.Β 

It is true critics have been harsh on this album but haven’t they always been to Coldplay? Never take anyΒ reviewers from the likes of Pitchfork and Fantano seriously when it comes to Coldplay.Β 

Since they also mentioned they’re continuing to work with Max Martin, you will be right that there will be some more pop oriented songs (that might I add this far have been excellently produced rather than some of the past producer mishaps), but I think they will also be more experimental as Coloratura was, with the inclusion of unreleased songs like (low and behold)Β The Race and the silver bird edition of UATW, the original UFO etc…
Chris also mentioned they’re making a musical too so there’s a lot of exciting things still coming.Β 
Β 

I think that all of us will appreciate MOTS more when the entire project is released.Β 
Β 

Β 

Edited by The Jordanator
  • Like 2

There's no real straight storyline to this concept. That's the thing about Coldplay always. There seem to be concepts, but they are vague. This is one thing what's annoying to a lot of people about Coldplay. At the same time this has also been their strength and what makes their music very universal - anyone may find their own way through time to connect to certain songs and have their own story with song.

I think Music of the Spheres will make a bit more sense after the possible next volumes. So far for me it seems like the planets are just made to reflect certain issues or experiences, what humans are dealing with on the Earth. Sometimes these themes with each planet are a bit vague also, but the songs are basicly supposed to be written to each planet with the simple idea of "approach to each situation and everyone with love and positivity". That's what From Earth with Love means for me. And one way of looking at the "everyone is an alien somewhere" is thinking that each one of us can find themselves on any of these planets and relate to the issue or experience that the planet is trying to reflect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheLostColdplayer said:

Does someone among you remember the interview?

It was during the pandemic in 2020, when Chris did two or three (I don't remember exactly) mini-live shows for the Together At Home series with Global Citizen. You can easily find them on YouTube! I remember he mentioned Us against the world on that occasionΒ 

Β 

12 hours ago, TheLostColdplayer said:
18 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

On another note, I woke up today with a Coldplay related dream.

I also had a similar dream recently!!!

I also woke up with a Coldplay related dream this morning?

I would put the thing this way: so far, in terms of storyline behind the single album, it seems a bit messy. That's an opinion about the story, the narrative behind the single album. But if I consider thatΒ MOTS 1, 2 and 3Β is supposed to tell us a story, like MX does, than I would consider MOTS 1 as the "introduction", which presents where the events will take place. So, I expect that somehow in the end the perceived lack of cohesion of the first volume will be compensated. It happens all the time with books or film, so conceptually it could work in music. We will see.Β 

ItΒ is also true that other previous album (just to mention one, AROBTTH, but actually many of their album, asΒ someone has pointed out here) don't have a narration/story behind either, but they are great. In those casesΒ cohesion isΒ given more by the feeling and themes of the album, thanΒ by a story: there isn't any story to tell, but the mood set by the album ties everything together.Β 

With MOTS 1 they are somehow in between: the album tries to tell a story, but in aΒ future perspective, so for the moment we can't really connect with it. At the same time, the album is so varied in terms of songs, that there isn't aΒ prevailing feeling which represents all the tracks and which could tie everything together.Β 

Personally I have the feeling that the final outcome, so all the complete MOTS project, will overcome the flaws of the single albums. Or at least, once every volume is out, some issues and choices about this first volume will beΒ clearer than they are now!Β 

2 hours ago, CP-EST said:

one way of looking at the "everyone is an alien somewhere" is thinking that each one of us can find themselves on any of these planets and relate to the issue or experience that the planet is trying to reflect.

Agree with this interpretation a lot!

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, only.your.imagination said:

It was during the pandemic in 2020, when Chris did two or three (I don't remember exactly) mini-live show for the Together At Home series with Global Citizen.

Hi, thank you so much for replying!!

You're right, though I hope for more storytelling within songs or albums. VlVoDaAHF had generalΒ themes (love, war, death and revolution)Β and stories within songs (like "Viva la Vida" orΒ "Violet Hill"). ARoBttH lacked a general theme, but had good stories hidden within song lyrics ("The Scientist", "A Rush of Blood to the Head"). MX had narrative songs (like "Paradise" or "Major Minus") and followed the story of Mylo. GS was a spiritual journey through a break-up andΒ towards unconditional love, learning how to alchemise all the things that happen to us, with each song representing a step forward in thisΒ journey.

In comparison MotS-1 started with a greatΒ concept (the planetary system, with different planets representing different issues) but appeared to leave it quite underdeveloped and, except for "Coloratura", the space theme seems to have ended up only in the visual representation of the album and in the marketing campaign. For instance, I imagined Floris to be linked to a kind of environmentalist song, Ultra to an anti-violence/anti-war anthem, Kaotica to a song that addressed inequalities and the marginalisation ofΒ people and so on. But in the end there's not much of EL-style criticism of contemporary issues. This disappointed me a bit. Though some songs, like "Human Heart" or "Let Somebody Go", have a good theme behind, actually.

Anyway, let's hope that with the second volume things might make much more sense.Β ?

Β 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, TheLostColdplayer said:

You're right, though I hope for more storytelling within songs or albums.

I'm curious about how they will (well, at this point, I'd better say "how they have", assuming that they have already planned everything) build the whole thing. With MX there were the comics, GS didn't actually need anything particular as the inspiration was from a real life event. ForΒ other albums there were more themes than stories in the traditional sense, so we will see?

13 minutes ago, TheLostColdplayer said:

But in the end there's not much of EL-style criticism of contemporary issues. This disappointed me a bit.

No, I also think that definitely there isn't this element of criticism towards the contemporary world, probably because they have decided to head in a different commercial and artistic direction (also in Coloratura, which is my favourite of the album, these themes are simply not there).Β As usual, they have preferred variety, which is very coldplay-ish?

I really like EL themes however, I thinkΒ they fit well for them, also because of all their social involvement over the years!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Good conversation and definitely appreciate everyone's thoughts! It's true that basically no Coldplay album is truly conceptual except maybe Ghost Stories. MX also was more understandable after they released the comic book, but that was really only for big fans to dive into deeper. Perhaps with more Volumes and videos we'll get a bit more clarity on the themes behind MOTS.Β 

I think the issue I have overall is how MOTS was marketed so heavily as a space album. I've almost forgotten that Alien Radio had different clips from around the world, featuring really interesting ideas and themes -- like maybe MOTS was gong to be the futuristic space sibling to Everyday Life -- but none of those clips or ideas made it into the album. The notes on spotify for each planet really seem to imply that very little thought went into why each planet was the way it was -- almost like it just came out of Chris' sketchbook. Why are there two vacation resort planets? Haha

I do love the theme of "We are Allone in the universe" and "Everyone is an alien somehwhere" but reading MOTS lyrics doesn't really add up to me. AHFOD on the other hand I think does a good jobΒ  having multiple songs about being uplifted and healing. The songs thematically workΒ together from beginning to end, in my opinion, even if some of them aren't my favorite musically. Coloratura seems to be the only song that is interested in the universe and believing in love as the thing that keeps us together -- as some sort of magical place where "everyone's allowed." I get that LSG is the breakup song, Human Heart is the humanity song, POTP is the rebellious song, but what do they mean together? Hopefully we learn more soon!Β 

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Good conversation and definitely appreciate everyone's thoughts! It's true that basically no Coldplay album is truly conceptual except maybe Ghost Stories. MX also was more understandable after they released the comic book, but that was really only for big fans to dive into deeper. Perhaps with more Volumes and videos we'll get a bit more clarity on the themes behind MOTS.Β 

I think the issue I have overall is how MOTS was marketed so heavily as a space album. I've almost forgotten that Alien Radio had different clips from around the world, featuring really interesting ideas and themes -- like maybe MOTS was gong to be the futuristic space sibling to Everyday Life -- but none of those clips or ideas made it into the album. The notes on spotify for each planet really seem to imply that very little thought went into why each planet was the way it was -- almost like it just came out of Chris' sketchbook. Why are there two vacation resort planets? Haha

I do love the theme of "We are Allone in the universe" and "Everyone is an alien somehwhere" but reading MOTS lyrics doesn't really add up to me. AHFOD on the other hand I think does a good jobΒ  having multiple songs about being uplifted and healing. The songs thematically workΒ together from beginning to end, in my opinion, even if some of them aren't my favorite musically. Coloratura seems to be the only song that is interested in the universe and believing in love as the thing that keeps us together -- as some sort of magical place where "everyone's allowed." I get that LSG is the breakup song, Human Heart is the humanity song, POTP is the rebellious song, but what do they mean together? Hopefully we learn more soon!Β 

I do agree, that at the beginning MOTS seemed like it will be some connected concept story in space. The marketing turned out to be a bit confusing. Eventually it turned out that the Spheres are only a safe space to express themselves about experiences and issues on Earth, nothing more. Although this is also potentially a good concept, I would have expected a bit more controversial and deeper thoughts to be said in songs. So far with vol1 they haven't used the actual potential of this concept. Also the connections between the planets and songs are too vague indeed. It's just a bunch of love songs, like Chris said.

On the other hand, sound and atmosphere of this record has quite strong spacey elements and vibes. So production actually achieves the potential of connecting the music and the concept throughout the album in my opinion.

I don't have too high expectations for possible next volumes having more depth in songs. Still it will be interesting to see if next volumes will be extension further into space and becoming more bold and experimental or it will be some kind of response to the songs on vol 1.Β Β 

What I actually hope for next volume is some outrageous and weird space musical, just because Chris in one of the interiews or podcasts talked about potential musical and new song called "Weirdo" for it.

Vol2 - From space with rage!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

At this point I just hope they scrap everything and return with something different, everyone hates this album ?

It's hard to say -- I think there's a ton of people who really, really like it! And I don't want to be a bummer here. Personally when someone likes something I don't, I just get jealous because I want to see the merit in everything and enjoy it. I hope this album warms up to me, but it left little impact on me personally, but I might have different taste than others and that's okay! I'm thankful the band is trying new things, I just hope they can continue improving on some of the new musical ideas they're working with right now.Β 

• Like 3

As you all said in previous comments this discussion is becoming really exciting!

It would be interesting to compare this album with the other space-influencedΒ Coldplay album, X&Y. The multi-layered synths there sound really spacey and there are several references to outer space:

1) the album begins with that 2001: A Space Odissey motif in "Square One". The song also features the lines "the space in which we're travelling" and "is there anybody out there, who's lost and hurt and lonely too?"

2) "White Shadows" is a masterpiece of a song and there is a line whichΒ perfectly fits with Coldplay's current vision of humanity: "You're part of the human race, all of the stars and the outer space. Part of a system, a plan". Not to mention the synths.

3) Kraftwerk's influence on "Talk" is in its spacey guitars and atmosphere. The song refers to a "ladder up to the sun" one could climb. Also the video ties perfectly with the space concept. Again, the concept of loneliness and lack of comunication seems to reinforce the outer space idea.

3) X&Y continues with that sound and features "You and me are drifting into outer space".

4) Then we have: "Look up, I look up at night / Planets are moving at the speed of light" in "Speed of Sound".

5) Brian Eno contributes synths to "Low" and he probably bought them at some alien fair, as they really lift the song up to the stars.

6) Twisted Logic also refers to a time "Hundreds of years in the future" when "There could be computers /Β Looking for life on earth".

X&Y might not be my favourite Coldplay album, but it's a really good one andΒ certainly a wonderful space journey.

Β 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Care 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion