✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

Found a higher resolution video of the "Glass of Water" visuals used in live concert and combined it with their Channel 4 performance to make a sort of music video! Also great to hype up MOTS because of the space theme. Have a look if you want!

Edited by TheBigBadBono
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1

I've also spotted something less positive in all these trademarks. Apparently Music of the Spheres trademark on Justia (which was filed back in 2018) is going to be suspended, or they've been requesting suspension? I'm not very knowledged in trademarks, but suspension to me never sounds good. https://trademarks.justia.com/880/46/music-of-the-88046174.htmlimage.thumb.png.7a23a8148de76ae23ee49f891df2042d.png

On 2/15/2021 at 7:47 AM, TheBigBadBono said:

11 February 2011 - Roadie 42's Blog #127 talks about the studio being in a mess due to production (most likely Mylo was being produced already) and Jonny's working on the lead for MTM - Moving to Mars. Though the song certainly has the production style of MX it doesn't match it thematically and story-wise, so that leads me to suspect that both MTM and Aliens originated during 2009/10, during the sessions directly after Viva - hence the story-telling, odyssey-space story being told.

There was a song called Space Symphony that existed around 2009 or so. If you know the lyrics to Moving to Mars, you'll know that the phrase "space symphony" appears in the lyrics, so I think it's safe to say that this is an early title of Moving to Mars.

Another thing I'd like to add is that A L I E N S is a song about refugees... now, where did Coldplay get the name for Moving to Mars? And some of the lyrics if you're willing to think about their deeper meaning? A Mat Whitecross film about refugees. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_to_Mars_(film)

My theory is that these two songs are companions. They complement one another. Chris had the same sort of ideas in his head when he wrote the lyrics.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:56 AM, TheBigBadBono said:

18 November 2019 - The band, in this article, are already reported to be working on the Follow-up to Everyday Life. Chris said in an interview that Orphans was meant for another album, but instead was set in the tracklist of Everyday Life in between Guns and Eko. 

Now, it's funny, because as you said, Orphans was meant to be left off Everyday Life but they ended up using it on Everyday Life anyways. Orphans is a song about kids living in war-torn Syria and could be applied to kids in war zones and persecuted populations all over the world. The Syrian refugee crisis made headlines in the mid-2010s. 

All of this makes me wonder if MOTS is quite a bit political, just like Everyday Life (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, Guns). Maybe we're going to see more of this kind of commentary in the lyrics and overall themes of the album. 

But, it all hinges on these theories of the album connecting to A L I E N S and Moving to Mars being the truth.

So, we'll see if any of this ends up being true. ?

53 minutes ago, Stanz2500 said:

YOU GUYS WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! I found this on a trademark site. It's all filed under the band! what does "I AM" Music of the Spheres mean?

spacer.png

This trademark is ancient... registered in 1994. Are you sure this is related to Coldplay? Because as far as I know, they aren't the "Saint Germain Foundation" in Illinois.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 42Escapist said:

There was a song called Space Symphony that existed around 2009 or so. If you know the lyrics to Moving to Mars, you'll know that the phrase "space symphony" appears in the lyrics, so I think it's safe to say that this is an early title of Moving to Mars.

Another thing I'd like to add is that A L I E N S is a song about refugees... now, where did Coldplay get the name for Moving to Mars? And some of the lyrics if you're willing to think about their deeper meaning? A Mat Whitecross film about refugees. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_to_Mars_(film)

My theory is that these two songs are companions. They complement one another. Chris had the same sort of ideas in his head when he wrote the lyrics.

Now, it's funny, because as you said, Orphans was meant to be left off Everyday Life but they ended up using it on Everyday Life anyways. Orphans is a song about kids living in war-torn Syria and could be applied to kids in war zones and persecuted populations all over the world. The Syrian refugee crisis made headlines in the mid-2010s. 

All of this makes me wonder if MOTS is quite a bit political, just like Everyday Life (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, Guns). Maybe we're going to see more of this kind of commentary in the lyrics and overall themes of the album. 

But, it all hinges on these theories of the album connecting to A L I E N S and Moving to Mars being the truth.

Actually yeah, that was my theory as well, and for me it fits more of what they were going for post-Viva but pre-Mylo and pre-Wedding Album because it follows a similar story-telling pattern that was found in Viva - the stories of refugees and war-torn families, especially, with Orphans, Moving to Mars, and A L I E N S.

Now comes another part of my theory. I also think that this predated Mylo by quite some bit (and therefore matches the solar system they asked them to build) because Jonny supposedly mentioned in this article (however, the article doesn't mention it, I looked on Wikipedia and found the quote) about Moving to Mars: "It probably won't make it (the record). It was just one of those ones. There was a period where it all worked, then it sat for a bit, we threw (out) lots of ideas, brought them together, pulled them apart, put them back on. We always like the beginning... that intimate sound. And we thought, 'Where can we take it? What can we do?'" 

It's possible that the intimate sound that they were looking to further expand - the intimate, spacey piano of Moving to Mars, led to another album concept being created -The Wedding Album. Even though the Wedding Album was also scrapped for Mylo Xyloto after Paradise was written, some songs were retained, as mentioned by this article. One of them was Charlie Brown, as seen in the AHFOD documentary being played on an accordion. The other two songs with intimate themes? Us Against the World and UFO - the very songs that the band have been supposedly "reworking".

So though my theory may very well fall flat, I think that UFO and UATW carry over from the acoustic themes found not just in the Wedding Album, but are also songs that could have originated from the earlier sessions, when Brian Eno brought to them the pedal that contained the answer to the "Music of the Spheres". Similar themes about not just rescue and hopefulness, but maybe lyrical themes that could tie into the refugee narrative. Oh well, who knows...

Edited by TheBigBadBono
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TheBigBadBono said:

So though my theory may very well fall flat, I think that UFO and UATW carry over from the acoustic themes found not just in the Wedding Album, but are also songs that could have originated from the earlier sessions, when Brian Eno brought to them the pedal that contained the answer to the "Music of the Spheres". Similar themes about not just rescue and hopefulness, but maybe lyrical themes that could tie into the refugee narrative. Oh well, who knows...

And maybe this is where the song Rescue St ties into everything else... it existed in 2010 or so and somebody caught a glimpse of the title last year, I think in that stripped-down Every Vote Counts live stream they did?

1 hour ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Actually yeah, that was my theory as well, and for me it fits more of what they were going for post-Viva but pre-Mylo and pre-Wedding Album because it follows a similar story-telling pattern that was found in Viva - the stories of refugees and war-torn families, especially, with Orphans, Moving to Mars, and A L I E N S.

Ahh, yes, I almost forgot about something. The Man Who Swears became Major Minus and apparently one of its working titles was Silencia. I can't find a good source for this so who knows if this is accurate, but Wikipedia does say that Silencia was recorded as early as 2008. So that would have been a very early post-Viva recording, and one that was originally conceived while Viva was still a work-in-progress. It's probably one of the songs they worked on in December of 2008 when the band was featured on 60 Minutes, along with Wedding Bells and Christmas Lights.

So, some of these early songs would ultimately evolve into MX, some would be scrapped, some would find their way onto Everyday Life (such as Arabesque), and maybe... just maybe... some would one day be recorded for Music of the Spheres.

Maybe they had this basic idea of refugees and war-torn families and part of it turned into the MX mythos about rebels in a dystopian police state, while part of it turned into the themes that are explored in Moving to Mars and A L I E N S (and presumably Music of the Spheres, if our theories are correct).

But who knows... maybe we're wrong. Either way, it's fun to theorize.

• Like 5

The Man Who Swears became Major Minus and apparently one of its working titles was Silencia. I can't find a good source for this so who knows if this is accurate, but Wikipedia does say that Silencia was recorded as early as 2008. So that would have been a very early post-Viva recording, and one that was originally conceived while Viva was still a work-in-progress. It's probably one of the songs they worked on in December of 2008 when the band was featured on 60 Minutes, along with Wedding Bells and Christmas Lights.

Actually an interesting point is that I read somewhere (I forgot where though) about a sort of "Mylo Xyloto 2", where the band would utilize this huge orchestra Viva La Vida style and the name of the orchestra was the Orchestra of Silencia. Given that the new album might be a continuation of Mylo's themes, it may yet come true.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Actually an interesting point is that I read somewhere (I forgot where though) about a sort of "Mylo Xyloto 2", where the band would utilize this huge orchestra Viva La Vida style and the name of the orchestra was the Orchestra of Silencia. Given that the new album might be a continuation of Mylo's themes, it may yet come true.

MX2 was mentioned quite a few times on an Italian fan site. Maybe you saw it there.

Speaking of UATW - you all may remember it WAS reworked and performed as such, with a bigger finale and some extra guitar bits in the verses! And the line "fly on that silver bird, fly over the sea" - fits with our refugees theme we're thinking about. 

And don't forget there was an "intimate" piano version of UATW too:

• Love 1

10 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

If they go down this route, my prediction is that the album will be released 19th October 2021 - exactly 10 years after Mylo Xyloto. 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2021 at 11:25 PM, BerheavedTripod8 said:

Whilst that's true, the show for the VLV tour started with an overview of earth from space. During the intro for Life in Technicolor they started zooming in on where the concert was being held, ending on being completely zoomed in, and switching to the crowd cam. So the space background during glass of water could also be hooking into that.

This can kind of be seen here, albeit missing bits in the beginning. 

So beautiful, thanks for sharing, I'm already getting goosebumps watching this video..... :laugh3:

This was the best Coldplay era in my opinion!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Speaking of UATW - you all may remember it WAS reworked and performed as such, with a bigger finale and some extra guitar bits in the verses! And the line "fly on that silver bird, fly over the sea" - fits with our refugees theme we're thinking about. 

And don't forget there was an "intimate" piano version of UATW too:

And when Chris played UATW during his first Instagram Live stream last year... after mentioning that the song had been "finished"... he played a beautiful piano version much like the one above. Oddly enough, it didn't include the "silver bird" verse.

A "silver bird" might refer to an airplane? Or even something like a UFO? A rocket ship? Definitely something silver and metallic that flies.

18 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Ahhh, you're thinking of this:

11132072_10155355230745307_735936364_n.jpg.a15b5d346c5dc2ae93f3c8f03bc743aa.jpg

http://www.coldplayzone.it/create-article/mylo-xyloto

Anyways, I've just finished reading all the Mylo Xyloto comics and it's safe to say that there's enough stuff about outer space in there for Music of the Spheres to connect with it somehow.

Now, get this. There's a moment where Mylo--an orphan--discovers a toy rocket ship from his parents that basically changes his life and helps him unlock his "sparker" powers that the Irdok overlords like Major Minus absolutely hate. That little toy rocket reminds me quite a bit of the one that Chris plays around with in the Champion of the World video.

Just a cool little observation. Probably means nothing but I've been wary about easter eggs in Coldplay music videos ever since the True Love video supposedly hinted at the bright colorful imagery and optimism of A Head Full of Dreams with that "anything is possible" text at the end. I remember quite a bit of speculation about it.

• Like 6

Anyways, I've just finished reading all the Mylo Xyloto comics and it's safe to say that there's enough stuff about outer space in there for Music of the Spheres to connect with it somehow.

Yup, that's where I found it! Also really interested with the Mylo Xyloto comics since the rumours about MOTS circulate about a sort of "sequel" to MX. Been browsing the Coldplay timeline and Roade 42's blogs, but haven't found anything yet. 

11 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

To me, this is at least another signal that they've continuously been working on songs like this for quite some time, rewriting the lyrics and everything. 

I'm also hopeful for more Brian Eno stuff on the album because they've been referencing him a lot recently (A L I E N S and Arabesque were created during the Eno sessions, and BrokEn is even stylized in homage to the producer.

• Like 4

The other day I listened to Amazing Day for the first time in forever. I paid extra attention to the lyrics and thought it would have fitted perfectly on the wedding album, as well as it talking about the stars (space - themed). I've also read there was a song called Alive Day recorded for Mylo Xyloto - could this have been turned into Amazing Day? 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, 42Escapist said:

And when Chris played UATW during his first Instagram Live stream last year... after mentioning that the song had been "finished"... he played a beautiful piano version much like the one above. Oddly enough, it didn't include the "silver bird" verse.

A "silver bird" might refer to an airplane? Or even something like a UFO? A rocket ship? Definitely something silver and metallic that flies.

Now, get this. There's a moment where Mylo--an orphan--discovers a toy rocket ship from his parents that basically changes his life and helps him unlock his "sparker" powers that the Irdok overlords like Major Minus absolutely hate. That little toy rocket reminds me quite a bit of the one that Chris plays around with in the Champion of the World video.

Just a cool little observation. Probably means nothing but I've been wary about easter eggs in Coldplay music videos ever since the True Love video supposedly hinted at the bright colorful imagery and optimism of A Head Full of Dreams with that "anything is possible" text at the end. I remember quite a bit of speculation about it.

For those wondering what Chris said, here's that version of UATW - he indeed says they've just finished the song....8 years after it was released on MX. And then after he plays the song someone requests he says "UFO...I definitely can't remember that and there's another song called UFO which isn't out either.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

To me, this is at least another signal that they've continuously been working on songs like this for quite some time, rewriting the lyrics and everything. 

As Jon Lasseter said, you never finish something, you only stop working on it.

• Like 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021