✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

Fanboying here, Imagine we get a song kinda like "Space Oddity" by David bowie. The song begins with radio static and chatter as if ground control is talking to someone in space. The the beat hits and its a mixture of 80's synths and some modern tones.

I could totally see Songs that take the names of planets and stellar objects. Maybe some constellations. Midnight reprise? Moving to Mars? 

The possibilities are endless!!!!!!! Buy your tickets to the hype train here!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Care 1

Late to the party but I'm delighted to have read, `The Sun` article and know their next album is soon approaching.

It's odd how life hits you like this. I haven't been following rumors or hints... before I fell asleep yesterday I thought to myself

`Do I have anything truly that I'm looking forward to this year fandom-wise?` 

All I could think about was possibly watching that "Free Guy" film (if it's still coming this year) and then I felt a tad empty again.

Glad I learned of this however, more to get psyched up about.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

4 hours ago, Stanz2500 said:

Fanboying here, Imagine we get a song kinda like "Space Oddity" by David bowie. The song begins with radio static and chatter as if ground control is talking to someone in space. The the beat hits and its a mixture of 80's synths and some modern tones.

I could totally see Songs that take the names of planets and stellar objects. Maybe some constellations. Midnight reprise? Moving to Mars? 

Omgs!! I’m loving it!!! There are so many possibilities!!!! We’ve been theorizing for so long!!!... who knows what we will get, but we must trust they know what they are doing!!! ??

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Everyday life said:

Wow that’s perfect, MOTS is coming finally maybe it’ll eventually arrived in spring or summer 2021 with the new music like X&Y and Everyday Life but the question is, who do you think it will be featured on MOTS Dua Lipa or some other artists ? ???

I just want a Brandon Flowers collaboration already. I remember rumors about Coldplay working with The Killers a few years ago but it looks like that never happened (or maybe it did, but it got scrapped).

I've wanted to hear Liam Gallagher sing on a Coldplay album ever since One Love Manchester happened in 2017. Now both of the Gallaghers have performed with Coldplay. And Noel played on Up&Up, so now it's Liam's turn.

Hmmm, who else... how about Lauren Mayberry from the band Chvrches? She has an amazing voice.

8 hours ago, Stanz2500 said:

I've been wondering about inspiration from David Bowie. During Chris's first Instagram Live stream last year, he had a bit of a fan boy moment talking about Life On Mars and playing a bit of it on piano.

Hmmm... maybe they could do a song like Valkyrie Missile by Angels & Airwaves. It starts with the band talking as if they are astronauts on the radio and turns into a big anthem with spacey synths. It's such a great album opener.

3 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

Mining on the moon a possible on MOTS?

Now that's a very old song. It's possible that the band has forgotten about it. But it shouldn't be dismissed entirely. And honestly, Mining On The Moon is such a cool song title.

• Like 3

I hope they lean more towards the 'rock' in pop-rock. Pop music is pretty poor nowadays and has been on a decline since 2010 (how WAP is so successful I'll never know), and I'd like to see something more like rock in the early 2000s and 80s. I'd like songs that are like Smile Like You Mean it and All These Things That I've Done by The Killers, Temptation (12", the best version) and Crystal by New Order, All I Want (which is actually based on Heroes by David Bowie) and All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem,  1979 and Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins, Love Is Noise by The Verve, and Tumble And Fall, Just The Way I'm Feeling and Feeling A Moment by Feeder. As well as a countless number of Bloc Party songs.

Alternatively, they could go more like how they did with Midnight (one of my favourite Coldplay songs) and make a more electro-pop (but not dance) inspired album.  Again, I think songs like Couleurs and We Own The Sky by M83, Flux and Compliments by Bloc Party, Under Your Spell by Desire, Lovers Who Uncover (Crystal Castles) by The Little Ones, Positive by Hot Chip, and many a song by CHVRCHES (most prominently Gun, The Mother We Share and Tether) could be good inspirations if they are going down this route.

They could also go down David Bowie and Queen's style of music that I don't know how to describe. Just as @Stanz2500said, something like Space Oddity or Blackstar could be beautiful. They could also do something like Black Screen by LCD Soundsystem, a beautiful song that is very calming. In Black Screen, there is no chorus or verses as such, just lyrics spread over a gradually changing base track. Jon Hopkins could help with that.

Hopefully the lyrics get better with this album. Everyday Life was not that bad lyrically, but I just hope that with the MX-era songs coming back, we don't get MX-era lyrics coming back as well. "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop" is possibly the worst-written song lyric I've ever heard. Other than WAP. And hopefully they don't underwrite or over-produce the new songs, because it pains me to listen to songs that are great but would have been so much better if just a bit more effort was put in to writing it, like We Found Love by Rihanna.

• Like 7

^I totally agree with your ideas for inspiration for LP9. New Wave sounds/80's pop-rock is coming back in style and I think Coldplay could kill it. Though for the record, I absolutely love WAP and think it's one of the best tracks of 2020. But I agree that Coldplay's strength has always been in making more emotional sounding rock music. It isn't to say that there have been some awesome experiments over the past decade that I really enjoy, but "newplay," if I can use that term, is less consistent with fans and critics. 

EL was a return to form in my opinion, but was still a bizarre album. I hope it's a sign that the band will get back "to basics," which doesn't mean making MX2 or X&Y2 or even a Parachutes sounding record. I just mean making a mostly rock record that's about 42 minutes long, where songs transition nicely into one another and there's consistent inspiration front-to-back. We could still get a Dua-featuring banger, but hopefully 8 or 9 of the 12 tracks are actually alternative rock. Overall though, I like these ideas floating around of taking some of the loud rock/ambience of X&Y and combining it with some of the electronic elements and pop-hooks of GS & MX. But using past Coldplay records as a predictor has never really worked haha.

My dream today is a veritable rock opera that tells a consistent story about characters flying through the solar system. Guitar solos, heavy riffs, moments of serene, beautiful ambience. Propulsive percussion. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lennyrott1 said:

My dream today is a veritable rock opera that tells a consistent story about characters flying through the solar system. Guitar solos, heavy riffs, moments of serene, beautiful ambience. Propulsive percussion. 

Perhaps Coldplay could do something like Major Tom, where they revisit their character every other album, like how Bowie did in Space Oddity, Ashes To Ashes, Major Tom (arguably) and Blackstar, which is one of my favourite Bowie songs and the closest to what you described, although it is less about the journey and more about the ending. But still, the song changes massively over its 10 minute duration and goes through a number of styles (as one commenter on the music video said, "That feeling when you're dying so you decide to write a 10-minute Gregorian chant hip-hop techno-jazz rock opera."). Coldplay could try to pack in all of their styles into one long song and make it a tribute to all of their past albums. That would be cool.

1 hour ago, lennyrott1 said:

I absolutely love WAP and think it's one of the best tracks of 2020

Must have been a pretty dreadful year for music then.? 

Edited by Doomotron
Added a section I forgot to add.
  • Like 2

Attention to this post from the Coldplay timeline. It talks about the construction of a solar system, curiously it is the MOTS poster. Does it have something to do with FFTF2024? I say it for the 2 of the 4 (April). Also curiously, this year April 2 is a Friday. Do you think it's a coincidence or could it be a possible release date for the album? 

https://timeline.coldplay.com/article/roadie-42-blog-118/

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Shiver98 said:

Attention to this post from the Coldplay timeline. It talks about the construction of a solar system, curiously it is the MOTS poster. Does it have something to do with FFTF2024? I say it for the 2 of the 4 (April). Also curiously, this year April 2 is a Friday. Do you think it's a coincidence or could it be a possible release date for the album? 

Interesting find, but I have to ask, where's the MOTS poster? 

3 minutes ago, Shiver98 said:

I mean, what could be considered a solar system appears in the brochure. Not that solar systems are the same

Oh sorry... :P now I got your point! What if Roadie42 came up with the idea of MOTS? Remember how that idea was floating around when Brian Eno was working with the band? That idea was mentioned on the Roadie book (I know Miller wasn't the autor tho...)

6 minutes ago, MarckozZ said:

Oh sorry... ? now I got your point! What if Roadie42 came up with the idea of MOTS? Remember how that idea was floating around when Brian Eno was working with the band? That idea was mentioned on the Roadie book (I know Miller wasn't the autor tho...)

nothing happens ?  maybe that idea can happen. if i remember correctly brian eno was in the new U.F.O registry

6 minutes ago, JasperJS said:

Talking about trademarks, what would the lower one be or what would it mean?

Screenshot_20210209_210945.jpg

By looking at all the classes and their description / tags, i'd assume just merchandise. Since it has been rumoured that MOTS might be MX2.0, maybe they want to continue the comic, or use parts of that for new merch designs. image.thumb.png.01f1b3a7c5b943cd292aacdc1b92b114.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shiver98 said:

I... never thought that Matthew Miller might have anything to do with Music of the Spheres. And I read all his old posts on the Coldplay Timeline just a few weeks ago but I didn't catch this. Well, as I've said time and time again, it's not like this band hasn't planned things out years in advance. It's not like they haven't revisited songs that they shelved years ago. Maybe this had something to do with Music of the Spheres. Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, JasperJS said:

Talking about trademarks, what would the lower one be or what would it mean?

Screenshot_20210209_210945.jpg

And this pretty much confirms that the band came up with the name Music of the Spheres no later than 2018.

But anyways, as for the Mylo trademark... it makes me think that there's something related to Mylo Xyloto on LP9 and it's significant enough to be put on merchandise. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Mylo Xyloto will turn 10 years old in October. Or both.

• Like 4

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021