✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

1 hour ago, VivaLaColdplay90 said:

I think Dua Lipa is god awful, along with almost all of today’s top 40 acts. I sincerely hope she will be nowhere near a Coldplay record. It was bad enough Rihanna was involved in POC and the Chainsmokers collaboration ? 

No it won’t ? trust me they’ll be awesome for the next Grammys.

14 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Plus I do think that a new era will debut this May, but, I agree, not necessarily a new song. Although the Glastonbury empty and haunting nighttime grounds as well as the Pyramid Stage would be a really cool setting to debut a couple of space songs. I'd expect their typical Glastonbury hits to be played, but given how much the band loves live audiences and the lack of a live audience during the concert, we might have the opportunity to see more unknown and less played songs.

Yes Coldplay. LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR II, PLEASE!

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Everyday life said:

They are you’ll see what happens, we don’t know what will happen because that’s my opinion and Coldplay and Dua Lipa will happen when the time is right period. 

look just cause it's your opinion doesn't mean it should and will happen, okay? Tons of fans want Coldplay to return to their roots, work with Ken Nelson, or bring back Brian Eno but that doesn't necessarily mean it WILL happen just because its our opinion that it will.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

look just cause it's your opinion doesn't mean it should and will happen, okay? Tons of fans want Coldplay to return to their roots, work with Ken Nelson, or bring back Brian Eno but that doesn't necessarily mean it WILL happen just because its our opinion that it will.

Now are you gonna start with me again, we will have to wait and see what happens, and first of all, Coldplay did return to their roots 2 years ago on Everyday Life and second of all, I want to see Ken Nelson return after 16 years since X&Y, and now this year he will return and still Coldplay is collaborating with Dua Lipa 

and that’s it i don’t know why you still new to this site ?

Edited by Everyday life

If I may try to break through the tension here -- I'd like both of those things ?

I love Dua Lipa and think she's a real star. Future Nostalgia was a terrific album that bleneded modern pop sounds, perfect pop hooks/singalong choruses, and fun throwback intsrumentation. I also think the albums Ken Nelson worked on had THE BEST sounding recordings in Coldplay's entire career. The instrumentation feels like it's right in your face, the guitars are punchy, and the atmosphere feels alive. 

Ken Nelson probably is not coming back but a Dua collab is possible. They did tour together way back when. I think having her as a feature would be awesome but I'd also love some return to the feel of Oldplay. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Oh please no Dua Lipa on a Coldplay album. One of the most talentless and shallow pop sensations to emerge in my humble opinion (next to Ariana Grande). II'm not too keen about collabs in general, but Rihanna and Beyoncé were in a different league. I wouldn't mind someone like Brittany Howard either. I agree with what was said above about the collabs on EL being collabs done just right. If they have to do collabs, more of that type please and less of the ones with a current pop hype.

(also sorry to all Dua fans, it's great that you see something in her and love her but I simply don't and this is my honest opinion - don't kill me for it)

For Ken Nelson ever returning the chance is probably 0,0%, but it would be my dream come true. He was the best producer Coldplay ever worked with imho, the sound of the first two to three albums is just out of this world.

I'm excited about Glastonbury, but simply for seeing the guys again, not because I think they will play new songs. Years and years of experience with Coldplay just tells me you should never expect new songs ? so yeah, I expect a greatest hits with maybe one lesser played song or something. And I think it will be awesome to be virtually present at this mythical place. The director of the livestream is Paul Dugdale btw, who did GS Live and Live in Jordan.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

just my opinion but I don't think Dua Lipa or any other big collaborators will join them for MOTS - and I think it's for the better. Sometimes the collaborators can hinder a song's greatness or change the song entirely. What I'd love though is the type of collaborations on Viva or Everyday Life, where an expert in the field or a much less famous person contributes something meaningful to the band. Everyday Life had Jacob Collier contributing his signature layered vocals and production on Church, Cry Cry Cry, and Everyday Life, Norah Shaqur's beautiful and haunting voice on Church and Bani Adam, Tiwa Savage's backing vocals on Eko, Femi Kuti's band and Stromae on Arabesque, the London VoicesChoir on When I Need a Friend, the Love Choir on BrokEn and in their live performances as well. The best collaborations are not when someone takes a large portion or feature in a song, but when their talents are used in little but really impactful ways.

I want Jon Hopkins to contribute again. Midnight and The Escapist are amazing, as are the ambient remixes of MX songs that he contributed to Live 2012. Except this time, I want his contributions to be completely new. The Escapist and Midnight came from snippets of old Jon Hopkins compositions and the band just added to them.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

If I may try to break through the tension here -- I'd like both of those things ?

I love Dua Lipa and think she's a real star. Future Nostalgia was a terrific album that bleneded modern pop sounds, perfect pop hooks/singalong choruses, and fun throwback intsrumentation. I also think the albums Ken Nelson worked on had THE BEST sounding recordings in Coldplay's entire career. The instrumentation feels like it's right in your face, the guitars are punchy, and the atmosphere feels alive. 

Ken Nelson probably is not coming back but a Dua collab is possible. They did tour together way back when. I think having her as a feature would be awesome but I'd also love some return to the feel of Oldplay. 

The Oldplay they did return since 2 years ago on Everyday Life ? 

5 hours ago, Everyday life said:

Now are you gonna start with me again, we will have to wait and see what happens, and first of all, Coldplay did return to their roots 2 years ago on Everyday Life and second of all, I want to see Ken Nelson return after 16 years since X&Y, and now this year he will return and still Coldplay is collaborating with Dua Lipa 

and that’s it i don’t know why you still new to this site ?

doesn't matter if I'm new to this site because I've been a Coldplay fan since 2009. You're right, we'll just wait and see what happens, but to say he WILL return and that they ARE collaborating is nothing short of fantasy until we get substantial evidence.

• Thanks 5
  • Angry 1

A collaboration I would love though is Brian Eno. Literally brought out the best in them during Viva and (somewhat) during MX and his fingerprints are all over some of their best songs outside the era (White Shadows, Aliens, Arabesque). Given his experience with ambience especially with works like An Ending (Ascent) I think he'd do wonders with MOTS. 

It's also worth noting that many of the clues and little snippets revolving around space and even the phrase "Music of the Spheres" from Matt McGinn's book point to an era sometime around 2009-2011, where they scrapped many album ideas and eventually went with Mylo Xyloto. So this album (if it follows the clues) might have Eno influences on it, I hope. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

doesn't matter if I'm new to this site because I've been a Coldplay fan since 2009. You're right, we'll just wait and see what happens, but to say he WILL return and that they ARE collaborating is nothing short of fantasy until we get substantial evidence.

See there you go again now stop, he will return and collaborating is happening until the time is right okay, so please enough for this nonsense, it’s my opinion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Everyday life said:

See there you go again now stop, he will return and collaborating is happening until the time is right okay, so please enough for this nonsense, it’s my opinion.

Bruh just because it's your opinion doesn't mean that it's going to come true. Hence the word opinion. I don't get why you want me to stop because my opinion won't stop any collaborations. Obviously I'm not that powerful. Take note, you're also saying the word "will" - anything you say isn't certain to happen on the album, so it would be more helpful and less confusing to say "I think it will happen" not "will happen". Not trying to start an argument, just trying to prove my point.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

I've seen this Dua Lipa debate heat up and I wanted to put in my 'two cents'.

3948571_orig.thumb.jpg.3f117923f34c088e73d8fef265444110.jpg

Look at this photo. It's a design concept ordered by FirstGroup for the Great Western franchise. The photo is of the prototype Standard class seat design. It's a combination of blue, violet, teal and brown of all colours. Thank god First Great Western never used it...

This image perfectly sums up collaborations in music. Multiple distinct styles (or colours in this anecdote) come together to make something awful. Very few collaborations actually work, like Under Pressure, as most end up being the 'bargain bin' of music. Something Just Like This had very little 'Coldplay' in it other than Chris singing and a guitar near the end and ended up as being a song that had pretty much zero redeemable features, and as much as I love its acoustic mix, Princess of China was pretty tepid.

Dua Lipa is not much better. She's nowhere near as important to music as Rihanna (or Coldplay for that matter) and her music fits into a new genre pioneered by Billie Eilish and herself, which I like to call 'non-music', because nothing of any importance happens for the duration of the song. Coldplay is already not a spectacular band, achieving neither the ballad status of Take That nor the rock style of Feeder, nor the electropop style of New Order. Unfortunately people will listen to anything nowadays and a collaboration with Dualit Lipase, or a lot of other acts, will not do Coldplay's reputation any good.

People need to actually analyse what good a collaboration what do. "But muh space theme! It's going to happen eventually; I just know it!" isn't analysis. Coldplay and Dua Lipa have very different styles. She's in the 'generic pop' genre, and Coldplay is traditionally in the pop-rock/'Take That Light' genre. I expect that a hypothetical collaboration between them would end up like the seat moquette above. Two distinct styles being forced into each other and achieving nothing in the process.

That said, they could do a lot worse. While Dua Lipa's only achievements as a celebrity is appealing to 14-year-old girls and voting Remain, people like Cardiovascular Bronchitis and Little Nasdaq X are the bottom end of music. Calling it music at all is a push, being nothing more than Garageband loops and shouting obscenities. It's not music, it's a diatribe. A collaboration with them would be the end of Coldplay.

However, I am firmly against any collaborations. It would just make any music they do make less credible, and would achieve nothing in the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Man I forgot how intensely anti-mainstream pop this forum can be haha 

I'm an oldplayer and just wanna make it clear: I love Dua, Lil Nas X, Cardi B, Billie Eilish, Beyonce, Rihanna, Ariana Grande. I think we're living in a moment where pop stars feel truly talented and interested in pushing bounderies again, and I listen to pop music quite regularly along with alternative music (metal, punk, hip-hop, indie). I say this not as a prescription for you all, but just as an unashamed proclamation that some folks can like Coldplay and other brands of music, and that's okay.

But that said, I like your post and metaphor Doomotron. I agree that most big name collabs in Coldplay's career haven't gone their way. Just to go over names Princess of China actually has a cool instrumental but lyrically it's complete trash and the song mostly is "oh-oh-ohs." A Sky Full Of Stars leans too heavily into Avicii's branding and makes Jonny, Guy and Will toothless on the song. HFTW is probably my favorite of all these, but I think it has a kinda boring chorus and they should have used Beyonce more. And Fun with Tove Lo is just boring. Tove Lo really adds nothing but soft backup vocals and the song itself should have been a B-side.  And don't get me started on SJLT. There's no promise a Dua collab would break this mold. 

But I also wanna uplfit what others have said, including Everyday Life, because we should remember collabs can also mean smaller artists like Norah Shaqur, Jon Hopkins, the LOVE choir and more. So it's okay to not like big pop artists, but also let's remember that Coldplay for the last decade has been a band very interested in collabs and that likely won't change. If Dua gets announced for a huge pop song, fingers crossed its good. If Jon Hopkins helps produce some spacey ambient songs, awesome.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Man I forgot how intensely anti-mainstream pop this forum can be haha 

I'm an oldplayer and just wanna make it clear: I love Dua, Lil Nas X, Cardi B, Billie Eilish, Beyonce, Rihanna, Ariana Grande. I think we're living in a moment where pop stars feel truly talented and interested in pushing bounderies again, and I listen to pop music quite regularly along with alternative music (metal, punk, hip-hop, indie). I say this not as a prescription for you all, but just as an unashamed proclamation that some folks can like Coldplay and other brands of music, and that's okay.

But that said, I like your post and metaphor Doomotron. I agree that most big name collabs in Coldplay's career haven't gone their way. Just to go over names Princess of China actually has a cool instrumental but lyrically it's complete trash and the song mostly is "oh-oh-ohs." A Sky Full Of Stars leans too heavily into Avicii's branding and makes Jonny, Guy and Will toothless on the song. HFTW is probably my favorite of all these, but I think it has a kinda boring chorus and they should have used Beyonce more. And Fun with Tove Lo is just boring. Tove Lo really adds nothing but soft backup vocals and the song itself should have been a B-side.  And don't get me started on SJLT. There's no promise a Dua collab would break this mold. 

But I also wanna uplfit what others have said, including Everyday Life, because we should remember collabs can also mean smaller artists like Norah Shaqur, Jon Hopkins, the LOVE choir and more. So it's okay to not like big pop artists, but also let's remember that Coldplay for the last decade has been a band very interested in collabs and that likely won't change. If Dua gets announced for a huge pop song, fingers crossed its good. If Jon Hopkins helps produce some spacey ambient songs, awesome.

I love ASFOS, SJLT, Fun, Fun is very underrated ? 

• Love 2

^This. Taylor has been crushing it. I always liked her early albums and 1989 a lot but this past year she really became the most essential pop star. Both Folklore and Evermore are very, very good albums. 

Excited about the Jacob Collier news! It'd be cool if he featured... but I bet like with EL could be helping do mixing and production if the album is getting wrapped up. He also played the role of helping create "Angelina" from Cry Cry Cry, which Chris alluded to wanting to use again. I'm open to that... but also Cry Cry Cry is probably the first song I'd remove from EL since it tonally feels so different. 

• Like 4

On 4/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, amazingnico said:

And for the colabs discussion. I think that no matters who’s gonna be collaborating or not as long as the music is good. 

Amen to that.

With all the talk of Coldplay and colabs my mind rushed to this song.

Dunno how many of you know it but I thought I'd share it just in case. I interpret it as a non-Pop song however that's just me. One of my favorite colab with Chris.

"Gold in them Hills" 

https://youtu.be/85Kf9-hJ3yg

Edited by TealAppeal
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021