✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

I'm actually suprised to find out they use so much backing tracks for the vocals. One thing if there are stuff they can't perform live, like a synthesizer or so, or if Chris can't sing a harmony at the same time as he sings the main melody, but don't know what to think of this. Yes I know they did this with Church etc, but now it's getting a bit too much for me ??

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I actually did NOT know that but that makes total sense and completely addresses my point lol. I was also confused about lip syncing for Church, again..not a hard song. You might say "oh but it's the first song" but at a few shows they open with Orphans and I'm pretty sure that's not lip synced (not counting the choruses where there's obvious a lot of kid voices/Will doing some of the vocal heavy lifting). To be honest though I guess I'm not surprised when the rest of the band has been lip syncing since the VLV era (possibly even during X&Y). I'm 50% sure this is not lip syncing in this performance since Guy's vocals are weirdly loud relative to Jonny or Will and you can hear him go a little out of tune after 4:15. Anyways I don't mean to hijack and talk about backing tracks like I am so prone to do. IΒ hope the band will one day return to a way of performing that's not as reliant on backing tracks for instruments OR vocals, as they are all very talented gentlemen and all the evidence from early gigs and IEM mixes suggests they do sound good. I could be excited for another track like Fix You where all 4 members sing (haven't really had anything this substantial since maybe Up&Up).Β Also bring on the Guy and Will lead vocal tracks.Β 

Β 

Isn't that Will's voice you're referring to? By the way it totally makes sense what you're saying, but it's hard to hear the difference between Guy and Will because they sing the same notes indeed. I think it's actually Will's voice that is so loud. Guy turns away his head from the mic around 4:20 and theΒ level of volume of theΒ voice stays exactly the same. You see?

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gideon_Mx said:

Isn't that Will's voice you're referring to? By the way it totally makes sense what you're saying, but it's hard to hear the difference between Guy and Will because they sing the same notes indeed. I think it's actually Will's voice that is so loud. Guy turns away his head from the mic around 4:20 and theΒ level of volume of theΒ voice stays exactly the same. You see?

You might be right, but it just sounds to me more like Guy's voice than Will's. It's hard to tell since in Fix You they both since the exact same vocal line. But something about the soft-loudness sounds more Guy than Will to me (you've heard the IEM mix with Guy's vocals right?) Guy moving his head away from the mic may just be him breathing. I just thought he'd be more likely to make a mistake than Will because Will's singing is SPOTLESS.Β 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LelieJens said:

I really don't care if Worthy Farm is pre-recorded and not "realtime live", but I just hope the pre-recorded video is the band playing live, not any pre-recorded tracks (and of course there are instruments in the background not being played live so they are pre-recorded).

I think there was a quote from Anchorman that everything you see being played is 100% live, but all the other things aren't. (That super logical haha). But that isn't true sadly -> Clocks on AHFOD, Church in EL, HP, ...

A few months ago, Liam Gallagher did his Live On The River Thames set. It was entirely pre-recorded, edited, and then streamed "live." Makes sense, considering the entire set was played on a moving boat with fireworks and other visual bells and whistles. Maybe this will be similar.

But yeah, and when Coldplay did the Jordan live streams, they also pre-recorded Old Friends. It was filmed in an entirely different spot with just Chris and Jonny.

And during the AHFOD tour, a bunch of songs had pre-recorded piano and acoustic guitar parts that Chris wouldn't even play. The "choir" during the chorus of Up&Up was pre-recorded too. I guess they just don't like having extra musicians onstage outside of special occasions. I would be completely fine with them having a touring keyboard player. I would be completely fine with them having a touring rhythm guitarist. Lots of very popular bands do that. Sometimes the touring musician is off to the side and doesn't have stage lights on them so the focus is on the main band members... but you can still see them. If you watch Yellow in Live 2003, apparently that's Chris's guitar tech playing the acoustic guitar offstage so that Chris himself can roam around the stage more.

Oh well. If Coldplay don't want to do that nowadays, it's their choice.

• Like 4

I agree, some pre-recordings make sense. For example, if they wanted to play HP live they'd have to bring someone for the synths, a whole choir as well as Chris's daughter and whoever else might have been added in the recording. SoΒ realistically that's not going to happen. It can also make sense to pre-record something for a special occasion such as Worthy Farm.

But what about the lead vocals on songs like Clocks, as a regular thing during their own tour? They wouldn't need to bring anyone else along for those. They used to be more than capable ofΒ playing these songs live so I wonder what's stopping them from doing it now? Are they not able to anymore? Don't want to? Think people wouldn't forgive a few mistakes here and there?Β Is that the case, are people too used to it from other singers/bands who do the same?Β 

At the end of the day, whatever the reason itΒ shouldn't be called "live" if it's not.Β 

I bet most people don't watch closely enough to even notice this is happening-Β the band know this and are happy with it.Β 

There are singers and bands where I'd totally expectΒ all of their performances to be playbackΒ butΒ Coldplay are so talented they could play live and I wish they'd go back to doing that.Β 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LisaFeehily said:

I agree, some pre-recordings make sense. For example, if they wanted to play HP live they'd have to bring someone for the synths, a whole choir as well as Chris's daughter and whoever else might have been added in the recording. SoΒ realistically that's not going to happen. It can also make sense to pre-record something for a special occasion such as Worthy Farm.

But what about the lead vocals on songs like Clocks, as a regular thing during their own tour? They wouldn't need to bring anyone else along for those. They used to be more than capable ofΒ playing these songs live so I wonder what's stopping them from doing it now? Are they not able to anymore? Don't want to? Think people wouldn't forgive a few mistakes here and there?Β Is that the case, are people too used to it from other singers/bands who do the same?Β 

At the end of the day, whatever the reason itΒ shouldn't be called "live" if it's not.Β 

I bet most people don't watch closely enough to even notice this is happening-Β the band know this and are happy with it.Β 

There are singers and bands where I'd totally expectΒ all of their performances to be playbackΒ butΒ Coldplay are so talented they could play live and I wish they'd go back to doing that.Β 

1. Do they think they're at a place where they can't afford mistakes?

Well they've played this song thousands of times and probably can play it in their sleep, also it isn't their hardest song to sing so I don't think they would mess this one up that much.

2. Is Chris tired of singing Clocks?

3. Does his voice need a rest in the middle of the show?

I think he wants to rest his voice a bit tbh. But I would rather see a shorter concert than lip syncing.

Some songs at this point in their career I think are difficult to perform completely live, depending on sound, effects, choirs, style etc and I can accept that.

I have a harder time understanding lip syncing to an oldie.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Like 3

I completely understand your point @Famous_Old_Painter

The samples of choirs, other instruments etc. don't bother me. But i'm pretty naΓ―ve and just want to live in a world where my favorite band doesn't lipsync ?Β or need an autotune. (My husband sometimes cringes when he hears live performances and hears Chris miss a note, but I'm always defending Chris. Surely, when he's running around like crazy, this isn't always best for his singing, but still.)Β 

Also, regarding the pretty hard discussion I've read on this forum about Higher Power, pop music, generic songs, etc. I just come here to feel the excitement of other people who are just as crazy about this band as I am. Because my family and friends can't relate to my emotions as you guys doΒ ?Β Β Nothing more than love for this band!Β 

*Here am I in my little bubble*Β 

• Like 7

On 5/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, LelieJens said:

Not sure if it's mentioned already but I find it "disappointing" that both the live performances (Brit and Idols) aren't live at all. The two voice tracks of Chris are exactly the same (extremely noticable sighs at the exact same times, ...).Β 

It could be that the Idols version was live and the Birts was lip synced (because of the fireworks and filming) but I hope the Glastonbury show is 100% live and not Chris lip syncing over a pre-recorded track. (Like Clocks in the AHFOD tour)Β 

Β 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:45 AM, LelieJens said:

Also, is it me or are the performances also heavily auto tuned? Not that it's a very big deal, but it's def the first time I notice an auto tune on Chris' voice.

https://youtu.be/kiqEEr7CK2g?t=100Β (timestamped)

What?! Oh no!!! This is getting ridiculous. I'm really annoyed should this be the case. (More at the lip-syncing than at the autotune, actually.)

• Like 3

On 5/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, CP-EST said:

Wow, isΒ Worthy Farm really recorded already? Didn't expect that, kind ofΒ disappointing, if it's true. Although, in my opinionΒ it is very possible to plan such event to run smoothly in proper liveΒ broadcast, there is just some good preparation and planning needed.

Really sad about that, and I fully agree it is possible to smoothly broadcast a 5 hour live event, it is just more costly.

But maybe they also didn't want to risk the weather on that day being bad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

1. Do they think they're at a place where they can't afford mistakes?

They have actually gone out of their way to introduce fake mistakes in every concert pretty much since the X&Y era, so as to make them look more relatable/"human" to the crowd, so this can't be it...

• Like 8

SinceΒ  the X&Y tour there is a lot of backing track. We don't know what was played by the band and what was prerecorded. For exemple during the bridge in the song 42 there is two electric guitar but only JB played an electric guitar. So we don't know what he really played.Β 

It's the same with ASFOS. JB played the acoutic part and after the electric part but the acoutic part still played. Did he really played the acoustic part or was it completly record.

Sometime I ask me if some singing were really live or if the whole show was pre record during the AHFOD Tour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have a sort of feeling that Coldplay collabs with Muse. ThereΒ has been releasedΒ a pop-up event about something called 'the Higher Power Spaceship' (higherpowerspaceship.com), powered by Warner Music Group. You have to complete two tasks before you can sign up for the event, I suppose this is only for Dutch and Belgian fans. The second task made clear that the location of this event will be in a little hotel inΒ the Bellamystraat (Bellamystreet)Β in Amsterdam. So (Matthew) Bellamy and the synthesizer sounds of Higher Power, is that a clue to a Muse-collab??

Doesn't seem really weird thinking ofΒ the extraterrestrial obsession they share.Β 

Edited by WhiteShadow7
  • Like 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion