✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

35 minutes ago, pectoralz96 said:

I just finished listening to the new album and I only have one question:

How does a band manage to produce something as beautiful, meaningful, melodic and special as "Everyday Life" and in less than 2 years release something as empty and forgettable as "Music of the Spheres"? ?

I never thought Coldplay would be able to create a shallower album than A Head full of Dreams, but I was wrong.

Anyway, I'll be here looking forward to the next album!

What album you listened to? MOTS for me is much better than AHFOD

• Like 1

Just listened via VPN (thanks Singapore). Yes, lyrically sort of poor. But I think the instrumentation of some songs isn't being discussed enough. Humankind for all its lyrical misgivings has a banging riff and a catchy chorus. Loved that one from the first listen. Also Biutyful is not everyone's cup of tea -- but I really like the melody and the duet. It's a cool new idea that hasn't been used often in pop music. Let Somebody Go will definitely have a single version like Everglow and it can have staying power. POTP is going to be awesome live -- and obviously Coloratura is great.

Overall, I think My Universe is the only one I'm truly underwhelmed by. And weirdly I don't understand the love for Infinity Sign. It's good like Life in Technicolor was good. As a full song I hope they have a b-side with Infinity Sign II with full Life is Beautiful lyrics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still have to listen to the whole album (Coloratura included!), except for HP and MU (and yes, concerning these two songs, I personally think that Coldplay can do - and have done - much better). However, reading some reviews I have the impression that the critic is not really reviewing the album, but rather reviewing the band.

For instance I agree with several points in the Pitchfork review (f.e. when they miss Chris saying "We can't get bigger, we should get better!", instead of "We want to make music for those who like us"), but most of the pieceΒ sounds more like a harsh critic of 2021 Coldplay, which usesΒ the album's flaws to corroborate its statements. It's a reviewer's job that of highlighting a band's weakness, but here they should have commented on the album, describing its positive and negative aspects, not simply saying what they think of Coldplay,Β making fun of them. They did not even mention Human Heart and Coloratura, which together make more than 1/4 of the whole album.

Moreover, both Pitchfork and the Guardian criticise EL for having sold little compared to previous records, as if they ignored the fact that EL was not meant to be a chart topping album, and completely forget to recognise its qualities and its experimentation. At the same time they attack MOTS for being more mainstream and bringing nothing new, stating it was envisioned only to top charts and sell copies. Reasoning like this seems to be a bit influenced by prejudice.

Once I hear the album I might dislike it even more than those critics. What sounds wrong to me in these reviews is not their content but their reasoning, not their low rating but the reasons behind that rating.

• Like 6

I received the CD and vinyl version of Music Of The Spheres today (a day earlier than expected, uh-oh!!) and listened to both formats already.

Great album in general. Feels like it's a bit too short though. Well, the subtitle is Vol.1: From Earth With Love, so maybe there's coming a second volume sometime later?

So far my favorite track off the album is 'Coloratura'.Β Also, love the artwork!

Edited by andrewsky

3 minutes ago, andrewsky said:

the subtitle is Vol.1: From Earth With Love, so maybe there's coming a second volume sometime later?

Β 

In the music video of HP it said there are 3 parts, so we get at least 2 sequels to this i guess.

Edited by Nature
  • Like 3

I'm super excited to see how they expand on this album. I really enjoyed it! Here's what I thought ofΒ the songs let me know if you all agree or not.Β 

Song RankingΒ 

⦡ (Music of the Spheres) 7/10
Higher Power 9/10
Humankind 9/10
*✧ (Alien Choir) 5/10

Let Somebody Go 10/10
β™‘ (Human Heart) 9/10
People of the Pride 10/10
Biutyful 5/10
❍ (Music of the Spheres II) 2/10
My Universe 6.5/10
∞ (Infinity Sign) 7/10
Coloratura 10/10

• Like 1

Β 

I still have to listen to the whole album (Coloratura included!), except for HP and MU (and yes, concerning these two songs, I personally think that Coldplay can do - and have done - much better). However, reading some reviews I have the impression that the critic is not really reviewing the album, but rather reviewing the band.

For instance I agree with several points in the Pitchfork review (f.e. when they miss Chris saying "We can't get bigger, we should get better!", instead of "We want to make music for those who like us"), but most of the pieceΒ sounds more like a harsh critic of 2021 Coldplay, which usesΒ the album's flaws to corroborate its statements. It's a reviewer's job that of highlighting a band's weakness, but here they should have commented on the album, describing its positive and negative aspects, not simply saying what they think of Coldplay,Β making fun of them. They did not even mention Human Heart and Coloratura, which together make more than 1/4 of the whole album.

Moreover, both Pitchfork and the Guardian criticise EL for having sold little compared to previous records, as if they ignored the fact that EL was not meant to be a chart topping album, and completely forget to recognise its qualities and its experimentation. At the same time they attack MOTS for being more mainstream and bringing nothing new, stating it was envisioned only to top charts and sell copies. Reasoning like this seems to be a bit influenced by prejudice.

Once I hear the album I might dislike it even more than those critics. What sounds wrong to me in these reviews is not their content but their reasoning, not their low rating but the reasons behind that rating.

Agree with that^

However I do believe that Coldplay have become much bigger than their type of music warrants today. I mean they are a household name now and there are more casual fans of the band than ever before who know them only through their hits (Paradise, Viva, The Scientist, Yellow, ASFOS, SJLT). This imo skews their listener profile and so for them to carry these fans to their next album, they need to have Pop songs, ensure relevance by collaborations etc.

So today, I don't understand Chris. Imo he's not being honest with himself. They say they don't care about chart performance but hire Max Martin as the producer, release 100 versions of Higher Power hoping to get it up there, collaborate with BTS even though it's very difficult to get it to work. They seem to exist in a kind of duopoly now -- songs that are made to show their musician skills (eg Coloratura) and then songs that are made to get hits (My Universe). The hardest thing in music is to write a good song that can also be popular -- which is what they achieved with their initial albums but are not doing imo with the newer ones.

The genre they are the best at (maybe not what they want to go back to) is Indie Rock, Soft Rock, BritPop, etc and I think that their best hits (Scientist, Yellow, Fix You, Clocks, Viva, even Paradise) came from them being true to that. They felt authentic. I don't mean for them to "stay in their lane" and only do those genres but to just stay authentic. Which is why them not promoting EL grinds my gears the most. That's a GOOD Album. It has good ideas, good collection of genres to explore, some catchy moments and feels authentic. But they hardly promoted it because they thought they wouldn't be able to get the casual fans along with them for that ride. That's somewhat defeatist in my opinion. If you believe in your album then believe that the people will come, instead it ended up feeling like a interlude.Β 

With MOTS, however much they try to highlight the "allegorical" ideas, its a half baked concept which turns it into a gimmick. Aliens and whatnot -- there's no authenticity. But since Chris is such a songwriting genius, I continue to be a fan and continue to enjoy some of their work. The core of all their songs is good but all the dress up is like a poor entry into a fancy dress competition.

Β 

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 11
  • Love 1

Just had one listen:

Better than AHFOD but what a messy album. I get that each song represent each sphere/world/whatever but it's just so disjointed and jarring. I might change my mind after a few listens but right now I keep thinking why the hell is this song on this album?Β 

Edited by shred
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Magic123 said:

I'm super excited to see how they expand on this album. I really enjoyed it! Here's what I thought ofΒ the songs let me know if you all agree or not.Β 

Song RankingΒ 

⦡ (Music of the Spheres) 7/10
Higher Power 9/10
Humankind 9/10
*✧ (Alien Choir) 5/10

Let Somebody Go 10/10
β™‘ (Human Heart) 9/10
People of the Pride 10/10
Biutyful 5/10
❍ (Music of the Spheres II) 2/10
My Universe 6.5/10
∞ (Infinity Sign) 7/10
Coloratura 10/10

Oh that's A LOT of 10's, hope the album will grow on me. So far for me Coloratura is the only one higher than maybe 6 or 7.

I don't like collabs, when I listen to Coldplay I sant to hear only Chris.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EmiTurambar said:

What album you listened to? MOTS for me is much better than AHFOD

I wish I could agree with you.In the end, what counts is how each album reaches each person and I believe that AHFOD has more variations in musicality and lyrics than MOTS.Β Apart from Coloratura, the other songs seem very simple and the same to me.

Edited by pectoralz96
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Oh that's A LOT of 10's, hope the album will grow on me. So far for me Coloratura is the only one higher than maybe 6 or 7.

I don't like collabs, when I listen to Coldplay I sant to hear only Chris.

I might've been a little bit generous on some tracks because of how hyped I was for this to come out lol

9 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

...I don't like collabs, when I listen to Coldplay I sant to hear only Chris.

The collabs are okay to me. I was surprised that even Selena Gomez is in this album. Just checked that out via the booklet(s) before playing my copies today.^^

I'm sorry to break the general positive climate towards the new LP, but after a first listen I have to say that it seems quite weak.

I see it with the defects of EL (too "experimental" and heterogeneous) and AHFOD (too pop and empty sound). It just gives me the impression that there is half an album left over.

I read many praising the song of the infinite sign, but what do they see? it is a monotonous synthesizer sound with people shouting in the background and very softly "olΓ© olΓ©" as if we were in a bullring or a football match. Musically what does that contribute?

I see that it is an album where the synthesizer, electronic sounds and effects and Chris's voice distortion are abused too much, while Johnny's guitar and Guy's bass are hard to hear on many songs, aren't they a band of 4? I am very sorry about this, before most songs had a really cool guitar solo from Jhony and meolidos guitar and bass that one could follow. Now nothing. all very "chunda chunda", very electronic .

The studio version of People of the Pride carries perhaps the best thing about this song: Chris's classic voice! In the live versions it was like traveling back to Viva la Vida, with the same intonation and tone as then, but the studio version loads all of that with distortions. Very disappointed to be honest, most of the songs don't sound like "coldplay" to me at all. I think this album and EL would have improved a lot if they had separated what are properly "songs" from "experiments". It is incredible, there is an "instrumental" track of clappes, but what the hell is this?

For me, Coloratura, People of the Pride, Humankind are saved and in a second level of demand High Power and Let Somebody Go (which I expected much worse), the rest seems to me, in general, VERY expendable.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I’m a big Coldplay fan (I’d say I’m a bit of a mix of a Newplayer and an Oldplayer-although I think their older stuff is much better overall) and this album really sort of disappointed me after a first listen. While many of the songs I enjoy listening to - none of them really come together to make a cohesive whole album. All the ideas and lyricsΒ are so surface level and retreading everything we already heard in AHFOD. There’s just no nuance. And half of it is short instrumentals!! I’m totally okay with the instrumentals, many of them are beautiful, but at the end of the day I think we can all agree we would favor more full length tracks! The album is already so short…
Β 

I’m still going to listen to it on repeat and eventually fall in love with it no matter what, but I’m left feeling empty unfortunately. Easily my second least favorite album of theirs behind AHFOD. Looking forward to their next album (if they are following the same pattern they have been doing - it will be something closer to EL than another Pop album)Β 

highlights: Coloratura, Humankind, POTP, Biutyful

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ToniMoreno said:

I'm sorry to break the general positive climate towards the new LP, but after a first listen I have to say that it seems quite weak.

I see it with the defects of EL (too "experimental" and heterogeneous) and AHFOD (too pop and empty sound). It just gives me the impression that there is half an album left over.

I read many praising the song of the infinite sign, but what do they see? it is a monotonous synthesizer sound with people shouting in the background and very softly "olΓ© olΓ©" as if we were in a bullring or a football match. Musically what does that contribute?

I see that it is an album where the synthesizer, electronic sounds and effects and Chris's voice distortion are abused too much, while Johnny's guitar and Guy's bass are hard to hear on many songs, aren't they a band of 4? I am very sorry about this, before most songs had a really cool guitar solo from Jhony and meolidos guitar and bass that one could follow. Now nothing. all very "chunda chunda", very electronic .

The studio version of People of the Pride carries perhaps the best thing about this song: Chris's classic voice! In the live versions it was like traveling back to Viva la Vida, with the same intonation and tone as then, but the studio version loads all of that with distortions. Very disappointed to be honest, most of the songs don't sound like "coldplay" to me at all. I think this album and EL would have improved a lot if they had separated what are properly "songs" from "experiments". It is incredible, there is an "instrumental" track of clappes, but what the hell is this?

For me, Coloratura, People of the Pride, Humankind are saved and in a second level of demand High Power and Let Somebody Go (which I expected much worse), the rest seems to me, in general, VERY expendable.

Exactly! Most of the album sounds like electronic music and not a band. Coloratura is what Coldplay can or should evolve to, it's what they do best as a BAND. I feel like this song and the concept is what they want to do, but then the desire to stay relevant took over. But I hope the rest of the album grows on me. Some songs are better than others, but still they don't sound anywhere near a Coldplay classic for me.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As for the already mixed (especially negative) critics of this album and the subtitle Volume 1 I guess this is just a puzzle (part one) of something bigger and we'll have to wait for the next volume(s), playing them back to back andΒ then maybe the critics become more positive?^^

Edited by andrewsky
  • Wow 1

My final impressions after a few listens:

Β 

? - A very solid intro to the whole album and HP

Higher Power - 8/10 - I know it's an unpopular opinion but I like the song, especially the 2nd half where it takes off, it's classic Coldplay to me

Humankind - 9/10 - An absolute banger, the last chorus when everything but the guitar stops and then explodes is brilliant - this will be amazing live

✨ - Very atmospheric, like a short stroll through space

Let Somebody Go - 6/10 - strong beginning with nice lyrics, but the song gets boring and repetitive in a bad way. Explosive ending, but I would welcome the last chorus to have more / different lyrics to stand out from the rest of the song.

❀️ -6/10 - The studio version sounds fantastic, but it's not something I would listen to on repeat

People of the Pride - 8/10 - great production, not a huge fan of the muffled beginning though (live was better), the riff could get repetitive too but it just rocks and it's unusual for Coldplay.Β The second part when the beat comes in "it's just work, it's not easy..." all the way to the finish is amazing. Can't wait to see this one live.

Biutyful - 6/10 - I hate the chipmunk voice solo in the first half, it's way better when it harmonizes with Chris later. I think the song would be much better if it was only him singing though. The beat and the melody are so good, it's a shame.

? - For an interlude or a transitionΒ this is awful, it's just so out of place and cuts abruptly

My Universe - 2/5 - My least favorite song not just from this album but one of the weakest from Coldplay overall imo. The outro sounds out of place too. The acoustic version is pretty good.

β™Ύ - 6/10 - I was so disappointed when I realized it's not the studio version of Life Is Beautiful, but an instrumental version... On its own it's a really good instrumental (but once again out of place), takes a little bit to pick up pace but the second half is magical. It does not go anywhere though, it screams to be followed by something massive, not another slow paced beginning in Coloratura. I strongly believe if the instrumental was followed by actual Life is Beautiful with lyrics, it would be a huge highlight of the album.

Coloratura - 10/10 - the ultimate Coldplay track, one of their best songs period.

Β 

I would give the whole album a 7/10 -Β Β Coloratura is legendary, Higher Power, Humankind, and POTP are my otherΒ favorites because of their energy and from the rest I expected a little more so they're just... okay. The band sounds absolutely incredible throughout the whole thing.

The production is outstanding, everything is so crisp and balanced. Huge respect for Max Martin. I hope volume 2 comes soon (perhaps before the tour begins?)

Β 

• Like 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion