✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

10 minutes ago, [Coldplay]Andi said:

Worst Coldplay album ever. Didn't think that Higher Power would be the best song after Coloratura. It seems that Coldplay is dead. Gonna listen now to AROBTTH and remember the good old times. So dissapointed.

This is your own opinion...

PS AROBTTH Is my favourite

• Like 1

I dont understand this speech which consists in saying "we have nothing more to prove, we do not care about the criticism" then bring together a cast worthy of a blockbuster to try to do something industrial.

You also have to know how to question yourself sometimes. Be careful, I don't question the artistic feelings, I'm just saying that the goal is to create a good album.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's always an interesting dynamic to see how different other people feel about an album in question vs you.

I disliked Ghost Stories and A Head Fill of Dreams and made my opinion known and complained but there are people who really like those albums, many longtime fans who dig GS which really surprises me.

And then to be on the opposite side, to quite like MX and MotS and seeing people complain about them a lot. But that's the thing, every person is different. Also, all of these albums have been divisive after the incredible expectations Viva left us with. And it'sΒ best album of all time in my eyes.Β 

Everyday Life is the one recent album where almost everyone seems to like it. And I see why, it's fantastic.Β 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

It's always an interesting dynamic to see how different other people feel about an album in question vs you.

I disliked Ghost Stories and A Head Fill of Dreams and made my opinion known and complained but there are people who really like those albums, many longtime fans who dig GS which really surprises me.

And then to be on the opposite side, to quite like MX and MotS and seeing people complain about them a lot. But that's the thing, every person is different. Also, all of these albums have been divisive after the incredible expectations Viva left us with. And it'sΒ best album of all time in my eyes.Β 

Everyday Life is the one recent album where almost everyone seems to like it. And I see why, it's fantastic.Β 

I'm totally with you on this one. I like MX a lot and didn't love AHFOD at all. I like MOTS! Ghost Stories is fine, but EL is a jam.Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

Viva set amazing expectations down the road that were, imho, only partially fulfilled. On Everyday Life you feel this is Coldplay again and there is plenty of experimentation there, arguably more than on this one, and it wasn't nominated for Album of the year by chance. It's a darn good album. I remember listening to Arabesque the first time and it absolutely didn't feel like this could be a Coldplay song!Β 

This album will sound great live though, it feels like it was built for the road. But there are far too many forgettable songs on it.Β 

• Like 2

And I want to reiterate-

As great as Parachutes, ARoBttH and even X&Y are, they weren't wildly different from what was popular *at the time*

If you know about early 2000s music, guitar-based post-grunge and alternative rock was very popular then. I think even a band like Vertical Horizon had a #1 hit. Radiohead, U2 and Oasis were huge influences at the time. Coldplay took from those influences. And they're special albums.

But MX and AHFoD are grandiose with pop influences, MotS and GS are strippped back and have a lot of electronic flourishes. That's what's been popular in the past ten years.

Viva and Everyday Life are the only albums that strike me as radically different from what was popular in their time.Β 

Coldplay has often made music alongside what is popular in that moment. Does that make it bad? No. Does it make Parachutes or ARoBttH or MXΒ  or MotS any less special to me? No. But again. I don't know how this is a surprise to people when you really think about it. EveryΒ artist is influenced by what is going on around them at any given time. You can claimΒ they're "selling out" for this or that reason but yeah. Take that for what it's worth.Β 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Well, this album is really hit and miss for me. Unfortunately more misses than hits. It starts off okay with Higher Power and Humankind (which was clearly written to be performed in stadiums) but then...

✨ is pretty empty like the other interludes (? is the most pointless of them all, literally why). I don't understand why they put Let Somebody Go and Human Heart there right next to each other, it makes me sleepy, sorry :uhoh2:. I find Let Somebody Go incredibly dull, definitely a skip for me.

However then People Of The Pride swiftly makes me wake up again. I don't mind the production, I just have to get used to it after hearing it live first. It's a shame though Chris doesn't sound as angry in the verses, that's one of my favourite things about the live version. But I'll get used to that too I guess. It's still powerfull as fuckΒ  :heart:

Biutyful is another miss for me, just no. Also, wtf is that spelling. Reminds me of how I used to think English words were spelled back when I was 10 and didn't speak any English.

My Universe is good at what it wants to be if that makes sense, it's not really my bag, especially the chorus.Β But I like the verses and the Korean. The outro absolutely slaps, best part of the song.

β™Ύ is definitely my favourite emoji song (phrase I never thought I'd write in my lifetime). Jon Hopkins supremacy!!! Maybe a bit too many olΓ© olΓ© olΓ©s, but that's a detail.

And yeah, theΒ they just end the album with one of the greatest pieces of music they've ever written. It's weird. I agree with those who said it doesn't belong on this album. But hey, I'm very glad it exists.

Β 

So if you think I'll be buying tour tickets solely for People Of The Pride and Coloratura (ok and Humankind and Infinity are nice too) ...then, yes, you are correct.Β Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

Β 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

β€œHumankind”

β€œYou can sketch ideas out in the studio sometimes, and that was one we were really kind of struggling with before Max took the reins. It didn't sound very fresh; it had a good energy, but was maybe just a little bit too rock for us, and he really gave it more of a modern shine. It could be from just editing the basic song and the song structure or it could be adjusting slightly the rhythm pattern to make it all stick together better.”

β€œPeople of the Pride”
β€œWe started the song probably over 10 years ago and couldn’t really finish it. Again, this was one which Max really helped shape sonically. The way we had it before, it sounded a little bit old-fashioned, almost like glam rock. What Max managed to do was take the energy and layer in a way which preserved that feel but also made it sound very modern at the same time.”

It hurts like so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

I cant understand why do you see in "infinity sign" that most of you like this "song". Its jus synthesizer and people saying "olΓ© olΓ©".

Β 

With the critics, I think that the point its not thatΒ they do new music or different styles. They have been doing that since the begginning. The main problem here is that what they do is, in general, very very bad. Its a very poor album. Very short and with lot of ΒΏpadding?, I mean, songs that you fell that should not be there cause they dont mean nothing, are emptu, like Infinity Sign.

Coldplay, and specially Chris Martin, has entered in to a poppy sound mix with lot of collaborations that yes, maybe they can came to nΒΊ1 in lot of harts and have lots of reproductions in spotify and youtube, butΒ that will lead them to the path of musical irrelevance. Songs like Yellow or Fix You will remain in your memory for decades. SJLT or MU will soon be forgotten because they don't mean anything and every year a lot of the same songs are made. Its very sad that they only can win the ΒΊ1 charts with collaborations. Sorry, Im very dissapointing with that.

Β 

And dont understand why people said that the production is so good. What they do with people of the pride its awful!

Β 

Β 

P.D: In Spain there is a mistake with Warner and the Album wont come until a few days... ?Β 

I sense anΒ overwhelmingΒ sense of judgment and superiority in your post, even though I don't think that's what you were going for.Β 

If you don't like electronica then you don't, that's fine. But you don't have to call it a "song" like it isn't actually music. It's not "just synth", as if it doesnt take any talent to play that just because it's not a piano.Β I love that little "ting ting ting." It actually reminds me a lot of the song for Star City in Diddy Kong Racing. The guitar parts areΒ melodic and well mixed with everything else. Not dissonant or overpowering, not underused either. It's one of my favorite uses of guitarsΒ on the album, even though it's not traditional per se. Like someone else said, the vocals at the end are haunting and compelling. It's such an interesting and nuanced progression, as someone who listens to music like this. Jon did such a great job mixing this track.:thinking:

Like I said earlier, Yellow and Fix You are not terribly different from a lot of alternative rock songs made from that time even though I personally love them. In fact, people have claimed striking similarities between Fix You and a lesser known track by Elbow.Β 

Who decides that a song "doesn't mean anything?" I hate Magic's lyrics but that also doesn't mean there aren't people who like it's simplicity and relate to it. And SJLT's best quality is the lyrics, it's the music that brings in down, I think. Regardless, SJLT was #2 on the charts in the US and My Universe is currently #1. You can say it will be forgotten because you don't like it (and I don't really either) but opinions are subjective and no one knows what will be remembered twenty years from now.Β 

I realize I'm doing a lot of philosophy here in this thread haha

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi guys !

Have you noticed the audio files have been corrected on Spotify ? Now at least the tracks follow each other smoothly... I have to admit I prefer the album this way (no kidding ?).

I actually rediscovered it tonight without those "bugs". The instrumental emoji songs make more sense, the album fits better as a whole... I may grow into liking this one ! And I think the live concerts will make me love it at the end !

Don't trash too much this band we all love, maybe you'll prefer the previous album, maybe you'll prefer the next one. At the end, as wanted by these guys, we'll all be one in front of the stage ?

Edited by Scorthes
  • Love 3

TBH I think Coloratura is the greatest song from the last 3 or 4 records. I think they should go back to focusing on the songs instead of trying to do cool things.

I don't really understand all the praise EL gets either. To me it's a unfinished project with Coldplay doing genres that's not Coldplay to me. For someone who Love Viva La Vida, EL is a weak shadow of what.Β 

(However Daddy is really Beautiful, Champion Of The World is good and Arabesque very cool).

For me the latest record I really liked as a whole is GS(It's a bit unusual Coldplay record, but I think it holds together very well). Viva La Vida is the latest GREAT record and MX is pretty good too.Β 

Yeah I'm not what fond of the latest 3 efforts as You understand, event though they all have highlights.

• Like 2

I think people forget they're one if not the biggest band in the world....which makes them a pop band. I think taking the album for what it is it's actually pretty solid. Though I listen to everything under the sun so i may beΒ bias. Is it anything like their old stuff? Of course not but i wouldn't go saying it's shit compare to it, it's just a different genre not really fair toΒ compare.Β Can't blame them for wanting to continue to reach the masses. Anyways i'd give it a solid 7/10. Will i run back to it listening over n over? No but i'm not gonna turn it off it comes up on shuffle or the radio.Β 

And even though it's not what we're wanting from them i think Colourtura makes up for. What a song, easily top 20 Coldplay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

TBH I think Coloratura is the greatest song from the last 3 or 4 records. I think they should go back to focusing on the songs instead of trying to do cool things.

I don't really understand all the praise EL gets either. To me it's a unfinished project with Coldplay doing genres that's not Coldplay to me. For someone who Love Viva La Vida, EL is a weak shadow of what.Β 

(However Daddy is really Beautiful, Champion Of The World is good and Arabesque very cool).

For me the latest record I really liked as a whole is GS(It's a bit unusual Coldplay record, but I think it holds together very well). Viva La Vida is the latest GREAT record and MX is pretty good too.Β 

Yeah I'm not what fond of the latest 3 efforts as You understand, event though they all have highlights.

I find a lot of what you think about the band interesting. What do you like about GS? Just curious.Β 

5 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

I find a lot of what you think about the band interesting. What do you like about GS? Just curious.Β 

Actually it's funny because GSΒ  doesn't sound like the Coldplay I love, but it has feeling(heartbreak) in the songs and the album holds together well I think. I also really love songs like Ink and True Love + Fly On is one of the saddest and most beautiful songs I know.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

For sure Coloratura is the biggest thing the gave us for the past ERAs and I agree about Viva being the las greatest album as a whole.

But (and just sharing my point of view, no war intended haha) everything Coldplay does is Coldplay, EL is Coldplay, MOTS is Coldplay, even Ode to Deodorant is Coldplay, they've been evolving to the direction they think is the best. The reality is that we won't like everything they do, but at the end of the day they decide (I want to believe) what to create and how to do it.

Personally I loved EL even if is not a conceptual album for the new sounds they offered, the progression of the songs and that we hear a lot of all the members.

That's just my opinionΒ ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eddmen said:

For sure Coloratura is the biggest thing the gave us for the past ERAs and I agree about Viva being the las greatest album as a whole.

But (and just sharing my point of view, no war intended haha) everything Coldplay does is Coldplay, EL is Coldplay, MOTS is Coldplay, even Ode to Deodorant is Coldplay, they've been evolving to the direction they think is the best. The reality is that we won't like everything they do, but at the end of the day they decide (I want to believe) what to create and how to do it.

Personally I loved EL even if is not a conceptual album for the new sounds they offered, the progression of the songs and that we hear a lot of all the members.

That's just my opinionΒ ?

I get what you're saying and agree to a point. I won't speak my mind totally cause that might start "a war", but for someone who worshipped the first 4 records some things shouldn't be ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

I get what you're saying and agree to a point. I won't speak my mind totally cause that might start "a war", but for someone who worshipped the first 4 records some things shouldn't be ?

I get that, glad you're open to any point of view. I salute you.

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Actually it's funny because GSΒ  doesn't sound like the Coldplay I love, but it has feeling(heartbreak) in the songs and the album holds together well I think. I also really love songs like Ink and True Love + Fly On is one of the saddest and most beautiful songs I know.

It's definitely most similar to Parachutes and ARoBttH in its lyrical focus on relationships. I just listen to that album and think any other artist on the radio could have made it. Midnight and O aside, there's nothing for me. But I also really like MX, as I said, and people on this forum acted like it was the end of the worldΒ when that came out soΒ toΒ each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HowCouldIForget said:

It's definitely most similar to Parachutes and ARoBttH in its lyrical focus on relationships. I just listen to that album and think any other artist on the radio could have made it. Midnight and O aside, there's nothing for me. But I also really like MX, as I said, and people acted like it was the end of the world on this forum when that came out soΒ toΒ each their own.

Absolutley, I respect your opinion!Β 

• Like 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion