✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

8 minutes ago, HowCouldIForget said:

It's definitely most similar to Parachutes and ARoBttH in its lyrical focus on relationships. I just listen to that album and think any other artist on the radio could have made it. Midnight and O aside, there's nothing for me. But I also really like MX, as I said, and people on this forum acted like it was the end of the world when that came out so to each their own.

I’ve been using MX to describe the current freak out lol remember liking it and looking at the boards and folks freaking out that Coldplay was OVER a pop soundtrack.

honestly every Coldplay album has some freak out except maybe Everyday Life and Viva, whether it’s Aviici collab, pop sounds of MX, this current version or the Beyoncé collab.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

And dont understand why people said that the production is so good. What they do with people of the pride its awful!

Yeah, it was disappointing to me. Maybe my fault, because I had high expectations.

14 minutes ago, Ccrules2791 said:

I’ve been using MX to describe the current freak out lol remember liking it and looking at the boards and folks freaking out that Coldplay was OVER a pop soundtrack.

honestly every Coldplay album has some freak out except maybe Everyday Life and Viva, whether it’s Aviici collab, pop sounds of MX, this current version or the Beyoncé collab.

It was very intimdating. Often I like albums more later on than when they originally release and this was the case with MX but I swear. I remember people losing it over the opening lyrics to ETiaW. Little did they know GS and AHFoD were right around the corner to show them how low lyrics could really go. 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I've done a lot of listening today and I have to say that I would have replaced the beginning of MOTS with the last minute and a half of Infinity Sign. In a way I think it would have worked as an ending after Coloratura, the same as The Escapist was after DAAOHF on Viva.

Some tracks are f---- amazing here still if I can add to what has already been said. I think Higher Power's actually a really good one. The same with Biutyful - this would have been a hit if it had not been sung by Angelina in the first half!

I know it’s the artists call but Jeez, another album just slaughtered of all dynamics in the mastering stage. It sounds so close to distorted throughout all the big tracks, just like the last four albums. Thank Christ for the Atmos mixes, the difference in dynamics is astounding! Even tho the Atmos is lossy, the massive difference in dynamic range compression more than makes up for the small hit in fidelity. Man, what a relief to throw on MU or HP in Atmos and enjoy the range, mastered like MFSL did it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ruffsnap said:

Here's a quick, rough pitch-corrected edit of Biutyful with the chipmunk voice mitigated as much as I was able to.

Hopefully that gives a slight bit of peace of mind to those who hate the chipmunk voice lol. Personally I don't mind it at all, and it's one of my favorite songs off the album!

Can you re up, and is the full song o just a seconds? 

• Like 1

Just passing by to say whether MOTS is an underwhelming album or not we still can respect the band instead of writing them off, like seriously, I didn't saw anything particularly awful here but some fans are acting more like haters. Besides, did you guys expected Everyday Life after AHFOD? No, no one did! Let's just hope Vol.2 is better, I personally think it will since there's a side-project nature to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HowCouldIForget said:

I sense an overwhelming sense of judgment and superiority in your post, even though I don't think that's what you were going for. 

If you don't like electronica then you don't, that's fine. But you don't have to call it a "song" like it isn't actually music. It's not "just synth", as if it doesnt take any talent to play that just because it's not a piano. I love that little "ting ting ting." It actually reminds me a lot of the song for Star City in Diddy Kong Racing. The guitar parts are melodic and well mixed with everything else. Not dissonant or overpowering, not underused either. It's one of my favorite uses of guitars on the album, even though it's not traditional per se. Like someone else said, the vocals at the end are haunting and compelling. It's such an interesting and nuanced progression, as someone who listens to music like this. Jon did such a great job mixing this track.:thinking:

Like I said earlier, Yellow and Fix You are not terribly different from a lot of alternative rock songs made from that time even though I personally love them. In fact, people have claimed striking similarities between Fix You and a lesser known track by Elbow. 

Who decides that a song "doesn't mean anything?" I hate Magic's lyrics but that also doesn't mean there aren't people who like it's simplicity and relate to it. And SJLT's best quality is the lyrics, it's the music that brings in down, I think. Regardless, SJLT was #2 on the charts in the US and My Universe is currently #1. You can say it will be forgotten because you don't like it (and I don't really either) but opinions are subjective and no one knows what will be remembered twenty years from now. 

I realize I'm doing a lot of philosophy here in this thread haha

Of course everyone have its own opinion. Its what we do here.

For me most of the album are bad. Maybe others like the style of the songs, its ok, but not me.

I would like to write more, but my poor english dont allow me to do that xD

But we have to think that if there are some bad critics in this forum (when with El all we like it) and most of the reviews are very agressive with the album and suspend it with califications below the 5, maybe that is for some reason. Its easy to see I think.

Being a Coldplay fan since 2002, I have never felt this underwhelmed and un moved by a Coldplay release as MOTSV1.  Even AHFOD had moments that showed the musical strength the band possesses. This album sounded like a horrible attempt at R&B pop top 40 radio. The only songs that were done well:

HP

INFINITY SIGN

COLORATURA *sadly this is possibly Coldplay’s best song on their most hollow shallow and frankly underwhelming album.

Full of disappointment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KenNelsonsGhost said:

Being a Coldplay fan since 2002, I have never felt this underwhelmed and un moved by a Coldplay release as MOTSV1.  Even AHFOD had moments that showed the musical strength the band possesses. This album sounded like a horrible attempt at R&B pop top 40 radio. The only songs that were done well:

HP

INFINITY SIGN

COLORATURA *sadly this is possibly Coldplay’s best song on their most hollow shallow and frankly underwhelming album.

Full of disappointment.

You didn't like Humankind?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (9.7)

A Rush of Blood to the Head (9.5)

Parachutes (9.2)

Mylo Xyloto (9.1)

Everyday Life (9.0)

Music of the Spheres (8.5)

X&Y (8.3)

A Head Full of Dreams (7.2)

Ghost Stories (6.0)

And I do think that's where MotS will be. Can't see it higher than 8.7 or lower than 8.3. AHFoD would probably be a 7.7 or 7.8 if the production on songs like Up&Up and Amazing Day were reasonable. Overall, not a perfect album and I do wish there were more guitars but pleasantly surprised. ? Love the Jon Hopkins influences, as well. And you can bet I will be doing everything I can to hear this album live. Especially Coloratura, Infinity Sign, Humankind and People of the Pride. 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Sad 1

I already came to terms with the fact that Coldplay are going through a decline, which is normal for most artists and bands once they start getting old. Artists with high integrity tend to be the exception, and there are others like The Killers who seem to get better with each release. Analyzing Coldplay's long career retrospectively, it becomes more clear to me that they peaked with Viva La Vida, and they weren't able to be as prolific and creative ever since. I'm not expecting that much for their next LPs really, but it would be interesting to see if they will continue to make music with this artistic approach (chasing trends, doing collabs with popstars, targeting a young audience, etc.). If this becomes the case, then I'm afraid their worst album is yet to come.  

• Like 10

I’m not giving up on Coldplay. I loved GS, I loved EL, I love Coloratura, and both MX and AHFOD have grown on me over the years. They still have it in them to create amazing music. But they also have a need or desire to create chart friendly pop music that packs out stadiums. So Coldplay are gonna go back and forth, that’s just the way they are now. 

That said, I hope the near-universal backlash MOTS has received makes them re-evaluate their approach for Vol. 2 (or whatever LP10 ends up being)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The thing is there was a near-universal backlash on Everyday Life as well, I clearly remember the wave of hate when it leaked a week before the release or so. Reading between the lines on social media, it seems that fans think it's actually great? 

To me it feels like this has been happening with every album since about Viva. The classic whining of people who want the band to return to something they've been doing 20 years ago, and then those who find at least a couple of songs on the record to listen to, because there's always a big variety. 

I'm not saying this is their best work, but MOTS has its highlights. It really reminds me of Ghost Stories in the sense that it also felt like a short album and I could only pick a few songs to listen to on repeat. (Though GS had a better flow and a clear common theme)

You just can't please everyone, and the band is fully aware of that so they're doing whatever they want to do. That's what I love about them. If they hadn't, we would probably have them stuck in the old days trying to replicate the four albums and they certainly wouldn't be where they are now, selling out stadiums and shit.

Sometimes I think that the fans don't even know what they want, and it's just annoying and makes the community look toxic.

And it hurts like so. (Sorry I had to)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, GarbageOffice said:

The thing is there was a near-universal backlash on Everyday Life as well, I clearly remember the wave of hate when it leaked a week before the release or so. Reading between the lines on social media, it seems that fans think it's actually great? 

To me it feels like this has been happening with every album since about Viva. The classic whining of people who want the band to return to something they've been doing 20 years ago, and then those who find at least a couple of songs on the record to listen to, because there's always a big variety. 

I'm not saying this is their best work, but MOTS has its highlights. It really reminds me of Ghost Stories in the sense that it also felt like a short album and I could only pick a few songs to listen to on repeat. (Though GS had a better flow and a clear common theme)

You just can't please everyone, and the band is fully aware of that so they're doing whatever they want to do. That's what I love about them. If they hadn't, we would probably have them stuck in the old days trying to replicate the four albums and they certainly wouldn't be where they are now, selling out stadiums and shit.

Sometimes I think that the fans don't even know what they want, and it's just annoying and makes the community look toxic.

And it hurts like so. (Sorry I had to)

Love your take, I agree 100 %. I love that the band touched base on fans wanting them to sound like they did 20 years ago on the MOTS Spotify storyline. 20 years is a long time…. Change will happen.

Edited by sa_spurs_tx
  • Like 1

I just can't help it. Even though there are some songs that I would normally never listen to, I just can't be really objective when it comes to Coldplay. I love this band too much. These whole new worlds they created, the interviews, the positive attitude of the band. Yep, love is blindness.

So this album makes me happy. New music, new songs, and as always, the best, most beautiful singing voice in the world! (When it's not pitched ?)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh, anyone else having trouble downloading the digital download that comes with the vinyl? I wanted to download it this morning, but it says: Your redemption code hasn't been recognised or is no longer valid. ?

Edited by Bauk

3 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

I’m not giving up on Coldplay. I loved GS, I loved EL, I love Coloratura, and both MX and AHFOD have grown on me over the years. They still have it in them to create amazing music. But they also have a need or desire to create chart friendly pop music that packs out stadiums. So Coldplay are gonna go back and forth, that’s just the way they are now. 

That said, I hope the near-universal backlash MOTS has received makes them re-evaluate their approach for Vol. 2 (or whatever LP10 ends up being)

You say near-universal backlash but :thinking:

Metacritic 

Music of the Spheres- 57

AHFoD- 60

Ghost Stories- 61

Now it's still the worst rated but I am betting there are more reviews that will change that score up or down. And it's really not the lowest by that much. They didn't seem concerned by the scores for those other two albums. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion