✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

So my theory is this: I think Coldplay planned on playing a bunch of shows and festivals in the summer of 2020 so they could tease the new songs before releasing “MUSIC OF THE SPHERES” in October-December. Very similar to how they did MX. but covid ruined that.

• Like 3

I would love for them to pull a Taylor Swift and drop two albums next year. I'm sure they have enough songs to scrape together. But I doubt it... they probably have a big rollout plan for Music of the Spheres (or just LP9) and tour ideas ready to go that they want to stick to. 

• Like 3

I remember there was a twitter account that was giving hints about MOTS and it was saying that "Music of The Spheres a two part journey to the stars" or something like that. So maybe it's a "real" double album concept (Everyday Life is not a double album properly). That account shared a snippet of beginning of The Race before all the leaks. So this info can be legit.

3 hours ago, Xyloband_99 said:

I remember there was a twitter account that was giving hints about MOTS and it was saying that "Music of The Spheres a two part journey to the stars" or something like that. So maybe it's a "real" double album concept (Everyday Life is not a double album properly). That account shared a snippet of beginning of The Race before all the leaks. So this info can be legit.

That account was just a joke, and the snippets were here like forever! We have to accept the fact that account was just someone craving for attention XD 

• Like 1

I think the band will probably release something in 2021 certainly, however they have always toured straight after releasing it (even with no "real" tours for GS and EL) and I just don't see how even with massive vaccination all around the world, there will be concerts in 2021. Of course maybe I'm totally wrong (I wish I was!!) but I think realistically, we can see them live only on tv or some pre-filmed thing. Surely they would have loved to have really done something special but anything will be brought back a little. A lot of bands will prefer outside venues which might not be as prohibited as concert arenas. But everything is a wild guess now. 

Since Coldplay always provide an "era" I can see why they don't have to do anything until they can at least properly do a few shows and promotion...it would make no commercial sense to release it now however look at Taylor Swift, who's done amazingly well, the same will got for Adele and the likes, the covid situation is here to stay for at least another year and they could go any way they want to. 
As I fan I just want new music and I will buy anything they do because it is going to be amazing in any case!

Edited by Miha
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

^Well said. At this point the COVID crisis continues to reach it's worst levels here in the U.S. and there still could be more political violence.  From an artistic standpoint, I wonder how Chris' songwriting over the past year and how that might affect MOTS, assuming it would be a more pop, happy-go-lucky sound. 

I agree that the next album cycle won't role out until there's enough time to announce and plan a tour, which could easily be in 2022 at this point. That said, I always wonder what prevents the band from releasing other music in the meantime. Like imagine they drop an EP this month that has some dark/political songs inspired by recent events, or some unifying song that ties into the global pandemic. Then they could move on to the new album cycle when it makes sense. With so many artists releasing a ton of music and b-sides and remixes this year, idk why Coldplay tends to be so secretive and quiet.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I get the feeling the album release and promotion will be similar to that of AHFOD. Start teasing in September/October, do the usual iHeartRadio Festival set, drop a single, play an in-studio set for Radio 1 or Radio 2, release the album in early December, and start the world tour around April or May of 2022. Hopefully the pandemic situation will have improved to the point where Coldplay can safely perform in front of tens of thousands of people again. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 42Escapist said:

I get the feeling the album release and promotion will be similar to that of AHFOD. Start teasing in September/October, do the usual iHeartRadio Festival set, drop a single, play an in-studio set for Radio 1 or Radio 2, release the album in early December, and start the world tour around April or May of 2022. Hopefully the pandemic situation will have improved to the point where Coldplay can safely perform in front of tens of thousands of people again. 

They already have done the iheart gig though. Which makes me think that the gig was going to be part of the MOTS promotion previously but the pandemic changed that. So it’s just the single and teasers were waiting on right now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Jordanator said:

They already have done the iheart gig though. Which makes me think that the gig was going to be part of the MOTS promotion previously but the pandemic changed that. So it’s just the single and teasers were waiting on right now.

Only reason I mentioned the iHeartRadio gig is because they've done it in consecutive years before. They played it in 2014 for Ghost Stories and they did it again in 2015 before AHFOD came out in order to debut their new colorful look.

I do wonder how far ahead the 2020 set was planned, though. Was it indeed supposed to kick off the MOTS era or was it just Coldplay wanting to tie the fans over while they finish the album? Either theory seems plausible. 

Also, this covid 19 era might have changed Chris' perception of life in general and it may be that they have changed the direction entirely (let's not forget Mylo Xyloto was first meant to be The Wedding Album). The life we now know has changed immeasurably and this will surely reflect in the band's songwriting. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Lamebutiloveit said:

Can’t forget as well that Coldplay were due to perform at the Global Citizen Festival 2020 which I believe was around September? I’d assume that something would’ve been released before then if it wasn’t for coronavirus 

4 hours ago, Miha said:

Also, this covid 19 era might have changed Chris' perception of life in general and it may be that they have changed the direction entirely (let's not forget Mylo Xyloto was first meant to be The Wedding Album). The life we now know has changed immeasurably and this will surely reflect in the band's songwriting. 

Both of these posts have got me thinking. Perhaps the pandemic has put the band in a different state of mind compared to what they were working on before, so not only did they cancel the Global Citizen performance, but they also decided to revisit LP9 in light of the events of 2020.

It reminds me of what U2 did with the Songs Of Experience album. It was due to be released in late 2016, but then the US election happened and Bono had a mysterious near-death experience. This caused the band to go back and rework the material. The album ended up being delayed until late 2017.

• Like 2

But MOTS as a title obviously remains, so the ideas for some of the songs probably have stayed untouched. Would have been interesting however to find out how much the course of the album has changed in the past year since the pandemic. I am 100% convinced this will also be included in the theme. 

• Like 1

I don't think the Covid is going to change Music of the Spheres, that would not match the hint that they left in Everyday Life, here the reason why the album has not been released yet, is because maybe the band could not finish recording the album , or they want to release the album on a date where everything has settled down and they go on tour and most likely they couldn't trademark the name

I think that Music of the Spheres will be the same from it's conception in 2018

Edited by Beckett B
  • Like 2

Okay so if I can just fantasy speculate real quick. Others mentioned this way back in the thread and sufjan stevens already did this, but how cool would it be if the album was actually solar system themed and each track found ways to incorporate the ACTUAL music of the spheres (some of the odd frequencies and sounds that come from planets). 

So the track listing could include: Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. You could also have other tracks like UFO, Galaxies, Moons, Etc. Earth could maybe just be a reworked version of Life Is Beautiful and the whole album would sound like a rock opera -- tons of spacey MX/X&Y synth sounds but with some of the grand, rootsy, classical sounds of VLV. Producers could include Brian Eno, Jon Hopkins, Markus Dravs, Madeon, and maybe some other special guests like they had on AHFOD to do backup vocals or to add extra guitar. 

Okay fantasy over. It's safe to say that the album will probs be very mainstream and my fantasy would be way more alternative and with few, if any, singles. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Care 1
  • Wow 1

I'm hoping for A View From The Top, Moses, A Ghost and Lukas but that's unrealistic, and as much as I'd like actual releases of the reprises form Live 2012 that's sadly not going to happen either. What about Lethal Drug? I like that one a lot. And what about Flags? It wouldn't be the first time a Japan-only song is released worldwide.

Edited by Doomotron
Added A Ghost and Moses to the list of songs I wish were released.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Doomotron said:

I'm hoping for A View From The Top, A Ghost and Lukas but that's unrealistic, and as much as I'd like actual releases of the reprises form Live 2012 that's sadly not going to happen either. What about Lethal Drug? I like that one a lot. And what about Flags? It wouldn't be the first time a Japan-only song is released worldwide.

Flags was released on Spotify (unsure about Apple Music) a few weeks back in the UK and I’m guessing the rest of the world too. I must says it’s a really great song.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ollie2002 said:

Flags was released on Spotify (unsure about Apple Music) a few weeks back in the UK and I’m guessing the rest of the world too. I must says it’s a really great song.

So it is, I didn't see it. That's one off my checklist...

18 hours ago, DJK said:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody been keeping a running list of unreleased songs that might appear on this album? E.g.:

1) The Race
2) Us Against the World [reworked and "finished" as Chris mentioned in Together at home]
3) UFO (#2)

I'm hoping we can finally hear Tomorrow, which was left off of MX and Ghost Stories.

Who knows, this is a long shot, but maybe we'll get Until The Water Flows Over. It's referenced in the AHFOD documentary so maybe the band was inspired to revisit it. Arabesque and ALIENS were both worked on in the sessions for MX... but the band still finished and released them years later, so I suppose any of the old unreleased songs could be fair game.

12 hours ago, Doomotron said:

I'm hoping for A View From The Top, A Ghost and Lukas but that's unrealistic, and as much as I'd like actual releases of the reprises form Live 2012 that's sadly not going to happen either. What about Lethal Drug? I like that one a lot. And what about Flags? It wouldn't be the first time a Japan-only song is released worldwide.

I think Lethal Drug may be the same as a song called Love In A Lethal Dose that was left off of MX. So maybe Coldplay could revisit it and then release the leaked version of Lethal Drug as an "Avicii mix" bonus track or something. Or they might want to leave Lethal Drug alone out of respect for Avicii.

• Like 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021