โœจ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR โœจ

๐Ÿช Coldplay: Music of the Spheres ๐Ÿช | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

2 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Not to mention that the termย Music of the Spheresย appeared way back in 2010 - the same time A L I E N Sย  and Moving to Mars were written.

Okay, this one needs a bit explaining. I would think that most of us don't know this fact.

1 minute ago, CP-EST said:

Okay, this one needs a bit explaining. I would think that most of us don't know this fact.

Matt McGinn (Jonny's roadie iirc) published a book in 2011 calledย Roadie: My Life on the Road with Coldplay. It covers most of his time with Coldplay (from X&Y or AROBTTH onwards), up until recording past Viva La Vida. One of the pages in the book contains a reference to Brian Eno and the Music of the Spheres.1636179968_ScreenShot2021-04-30at3_49_36PM.thumb.png.ae7f895f2f7ba0387ce7205ad6a31ed0.png

You can find the line yourself here:ย https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=3k4mEAAAQBAJ&pg=PT97&lpg=PT97&dq=an+insanely+overcapable+piece+of+high-end+silliness+that+probably+contains+the+secret+answer+to+the+Music+of+the+Spheres&source=bl&ots=iOpYCDCw0Y&sig=ACfU3U3jzgTeV-KCBGY4zYcHz9ESfeBFpQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnkLrIvaXwAhVJGaYKHdVcANoQ6AEwAHoECAEQAw#v=onepage&q=an insanely overcapable piece of high-end silliness that probably contains the secret answer to the Music of the Spheres&f=false

It's also worth noting that A L I E N S was heard way back in 2009 on the South Bank Show (43:34 in the Youtube Video)

So yeah, I have reason to hope for a Brian Eno influence in this album. I'm pretty sure Jon Hopkins is helping with this album, although I might be wrong.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 42Escapist said:

There's no way they would go all out trying to promote a single and then disappear. They've changed the website and released that band photo from a few pages back that shows them in new outfits. They created a whole Kaotican alphabet that has something to do with the themes of this era, which looks quite a bit like the Klingon alphabet if you ask me ?

This is what I was thinking even before these extra symbols showed up. Every track on MX has a symbol.

Ghost Stories is the same way, including the bonus tracks:

198a27dc854fd4b5cda7b8d48a0c7337.jpg.df2b23482b37b0af109eb85a6ac5630c.jpg

Now what I'm wondering is if Higher Power is the first single of a new album and if each song on the album has a corresponding symbol... which one is used for Higher Power? Who knows, that may become clear once we know the complete lyrics to the song.

I think the same wy as you! But this would mean that we have all the symbols to start working on decipher the 12 songs of the album!ย 

13 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I theorize that Prospekt's March/Poppyfields must have something to do with opium poppy production in Afghanistan).ย 

I very much doubt that! The poppy is a British symbol for war remembrance. If you notice, around Remembrance Day people in Britain wear a poppy to commemorate those who died in the world wars. The boys have also done so in the past, when they had public appearances on that day. The poppy is also referenced in All Your Friends, by the way.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Alien radio:

Top right corner there's like a melody with text scrolling att the bottom - has it been decoded?

Also bottom right corner, is that dutch? Can't hear what language it is...

Sorry if I'm second om the ball.

Yes it has been decoded ?ย Do check out the fans google doc, everything we know or have guessed so far is in there :ย https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fpj1-mEXKxeQpm5GBrtL8wdIR4bDHOGRVCOsOxFoBvs/edit#ย 

I'm really torn on what to think about Higher Power.

On the one hand I'm irrationally excited like never before for this new era. The buildup and the space and codebreaking themes and colour schemes etc are amazing, and the possibility all this could be tied in with the song being played from the ISS or something...!!

On the other hand, every rational consideration tells me that musically, this won't be something I like. The MX era is my least favourite era, it's the one album and era I have least been able to connect to. And everything points to HP being a massive pop single, produced by a massive pop producer. The thought of a Coldplay song with a long list of songwriters that include Max Martin is also something that at least my own Oldplayer self six years ago would have turned up their nose at ? I would still call myself an Oldplayer overall, but Kaleidoscope EP and then of course Everyday Life have shown me that the guys still very much have the ability to create music that is just as beautiful and magnificent as in their early days. I think Kaleidoscope EP was a terrific EP that blended old Coldplay and pop Coldplay in a great way and had a great Stargate-free production, it should have been what AHFOD should have sounded like. And Everyday Life was this masterpiece recalling Viva and AROBTTH/Parachutes atmospheres and that was full of collaborations, but all of these collaborations were done right.

I also recently thought, with Everyday Life, the former Wedding Album that was meant to be the successor to Viva, the band made - saying it in a very simplified manner now - a kind of Viva 2.0 (think Arabesque etc). Now everything points them to making a kind of MX 2.0 and the rational part of me is worried because MX wasn't my thing, and another part is wondering whatever would come after.

A part of me also wonders if they have fallen into a kind of dichotomy ever since the completion of the first three albums and whether it will stay that way:

Viva and MX

GS and AHFOD

EL (Viva 2.0) and MOTS (MX 2.0)

LP10 and LP11??

Anyway, I think Coldplay have gotten much much better again since 2017, so I'm not nearly as pessimistic on their output as I was six years ago. Six years ago also this forum was full of clashes between "Oldplayers" and "Newplayers", and I'm so glad we have moved past that and everything has become peaceful. And with Everyday Life having been such a great gift to Oldplayers, I think we all can live with MOTS being more poppy ?

• Like 13
  • Wow 1

So this also ends the discussion about Higher Power begin just a single or album title, since he clearly states that they want the focus to be on the single for a while.ย 

Fingers crossed for this album, because Everyday Life was a more than welcome surprise for me, being more personal and small. Not sure if I'm gonna like the big stadium-sound... but we'll see! Truthfully, I can never really hate anything Coldplay does ?ย 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, I ran away said:

On the other hand, every rational consideration tells me that musically, this won't be something I like. The MX era is my least favourite era, it's the one album and era I have least been able to connect to. And everything points to HP being a massive pop single, produced by a massive pop producer. The thought of a Coldplay song with a long list of songwriters that include Max Martin is also something that at least my own Oldplayer self six years ago would have turned up their nose at.

I don't think there's been a long list of writers apart from the four of them - the single cover lists Max Martin, Denise Carite of the love choir, and Fede Vindver (who co-produced COTW, Church, Orphans, and Everyday Life. It might be poppy but I think it'll be much better than some of their poppier singles given the lack of Stargate production, the introduction of a choir, and a more ambitious album. I could be wrong, though.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

17 hours ago, Captain Crieff said:

Coldplay just posted a tiktok video and... you guys the whole band actually walked through Camden and nobody said a word :laugh3:

https://www.tiktok.com/@coldplay/video/6956606021720739077

Part of the Orphans video was filmed in public and I'm still shocked that nobody seemed to notice... or else ColdplayXtra probably would have said something about it immediately ??

19 minutes ago, I ran away said:

I'm really torn on what to think about Higher Power.

On the one hand I'm irrationally excited like never before for this new era. The buildup and the space and codebreaking themes and colour schemes etc are amazing, and the possibility all this could be tied in with the song being played from the ISS or something...!!

On the other hand, every rational consideration tells me that musically, this won't be something I like. The MX era is my least favourite era, it's the one album and era I have least been able to connect to. And everything points to HP being a massive pop single, produced by a massive pop producer. The thought of a Coldplay song with a long list of songwriters that include Max Martin is also something that at least my own Oldplayer self six years ago would have turned up their nose at ? I would still call myself an Oldplayer overall, but Kaleidoscope EP and then of course Everyday Life have shown me that the guys still very much have the ability to create music that is just as beautiful and magnificent as in their early days. I think Kaleidoscope EP was a terrific EP that blended old Coldplay and pop Coldplay in a great way and had a great Stargate-free production, it should have been what AHFOD should have sounded like. And Everyday Life was this masterpiece recalling Viva and AROBTTH/Parachutes atmospheres and that was full of collaborations, but all of these collaborations were done right.

I also recently thought, with Everyday Life, the former Wedding Album that was meant to be the successor to Viva, the band made - saying it in a very simplified manner now - a kind of Viva 2.0 (think Arabesque etc). Now everything points them to making a kind of MX 2.0 and the rational part of me is worried because MX wasn't my thing, and another part is wondering whatever would come after.

A part of me also wonders if they have fallen into a kind of dichotomy ever since the completion of the first three albums and whether it will stay that way:

Viva and MX

GS and AHFOD

EL (Viva 2.0) and MOTS (MX 2.0)

LP10 and LP11??

Anyway, I think Coldplay have gotten much much better again since 2017, so I'm not nearly as pessimistic on their output as I was six years ago. Six years ago also this forum was full of clashes between "Oldplayers" and "Newplayers", and I'm so glad we have moved past that and everything has become peaceful. And with Everyday Life having been such a great gift to Oldplayers, I think we all can live with MOTS being more poppy ?

Well-said. I don't particularly love Max Martin, but I could be pleasantly surprised. I ended up really liking Orphans, even though that's the main "pop" song on Everyday Life. I still enjoy it, it reminds me of Lovers In Japan and some of the better songs off of Mylo Xyloto. Maybe the more pop-oriented stuff on LP9 will be decent... I don't know, I'm torn between high and low expectations for what they'll bring to the table this time around. Of course I'm hyped as always, and Everyday Life is among Coldplay's best work in my opinion. But I'm not expecting the same kind of experimentation. The visuals for Higher Power suggest that this is going to be a very different era.

6 minutes ago, Ex&Why said:

ย 

Alright, I'm not surprised. I had been wondering if they were going to wait until late 2021 so they could tour a little sooner after the album release. I'm confident that Higher Power will still be on LP9, kind of like what they did with two out of the three tracks on the Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall EP. The Alien Radio clips even include stuff that relates to the idea of music of the spheres, so I wouldn't be surprised if Higher Power is just our first taste of the album.

No matter what, I'm thankful that we're getting something to tie us over for a little while longer until the full album drops. Even if "a little while longer" ends up meaning most of 2021.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Liam said:

Not sure how i feel about that to be honest, i've just quickly looked at some of the songs max martin has produced or co-writtenย ?

Same. I mean, I basicallyย KNOW I will not like it [It's been such a long time since I felt really connected to a Coldplay song, I have to be honest], still got hyped and involved and now I'm I little underwhelmed. But I kindย of made my peace with it through the years [X&Y is my favorite so...].ย Atย least I really like theย aesthetic.

• Like 1

Just now, stepstr said:

MX vibes are swallowing meย โค๏ธ

At first I thought it was a pink xyloband on Chris' wrist but it's not

It seems like he's painted a planet (whatever that thing is) onto his wrist. Jonny's guitar looks so cool as well!

Plus the Mylo Spray paint is back!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

ICMYI the performance yesterday is rumoured to be a rehearsal as Coldplay are supposedly the opening act for the BRITs on May 11th! New set designs and some great clothes as well! (Article here)

700436597_cp1.jpeg.6888ca98d9d9269c2bf43554da9618b0.jpeg

ย 

cp 2.jpeg

cp 3.jpeg

A few quick observations.ย So definitely Music of Spheres as the title. Backs of the jackets all different Spheres. Speaker hasย Love in the new font. Also the other symbols appearing more.

• Like 7

They look so full of confidence and ambition, like almost knowing 100% it will be the biggest hit in the world for the next few months. They have never before came out of studio so big and strong, haven't they?

• Like 8

I'm about to make myself a promise not to listen to all the singles from the record. Maybe, Higher Power and the one that comes with the album announcement will do for me.

I'm hoping for a conceptual record a-la 'rock opera', like MX.

Also trying not to set my expectations super high, bc honestly AHFOD and EL were not that great in my opinion.

I'm a pre-AHFOD guy.

Edited by stepstr
  • Like 3

• Captain Crieff changed the title to ๐Ÿช Coldplay: Music of the Spheres ๐Ÿช | Out Now! | Discussion
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021