Jump to content
ūüď° HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 ūüď°

HIGHER POWER | STREAM/DOWNLOAD EVERYWHERE | DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

Uuh loving it! This discussion got heated, so this also means this song has already succeeded with confronting the audience whether people like it or not. I like discussing and hearing these opinions. Although some seem a bit strongminded, this shows that Coldplay is in their hearts and they are very passionate about their music. 

You know people can make assumptions that they aim for fitting in, make all of it for money, writing just the right songs to make it on TikTok, getting the general appreciation or whatever.

I have to say that I have heard some of my music friends or critics I follow having assumptions about Everyday Life too. So the assumption is that they were using Jacob Collier, Femi Kuti and his band or Stromae to make it look more extravagant and artsy than this thing ever actually was and this didn't came from the heart really - all of it was just a pretentious BS. Most of the strongminded Oldplayers don't say it, because it feels like this Everyday Life was somehow closer to their Oldplayer heart.

These are just assumptions we make, at the end of the day if you take Higher Power as Higher Power, it's a quite good pop song, definitely the arrangement and quality of it is right there at the very top of the current pop music. You could say that the melody and lyrics are weak or average, but it seemingly delivers what it was aiming for, so rest of it is just about opinions and taste.

Lets not forget that Coldplay became something bigger than just a band a long time ago and they know it. We can have a lot of assumptions about them. At the end of the day you never know what is actually true, maybe they have always been just the puppets of satanic music industry and working with Max Martin could be just the proof of it. This guy has basicly his hand in most of the mainstream music, so he could very well be one of the leaders of satanism.  So they are just coworking to spread the satanism better than before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiPGOArPwfM

Anyway....¬†ūüėÜ

I don't remember what I was trying to say in the previous paragraph and you might think what hell I have been smoking, but it's really fun discussing about Coldplay music! It is what it is, but at the end of the day they deliver the massive stadium shows, that's what really is in their hearts.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 minutes! I just want to reiterate that it is great to share the start of a new era here at Coldplaying! I feel grateful that many many years ago I became a fan of this band that has given

Funny to see people compare Higher Power with songs like Birds or Hurts Like Heaven, because those songs are actually very different to be completely honest here. The only thing that this song does ha

At this point I'm not sure what to think of the song tbh. I like some parts of it, like the intro and the Eastern Asian vibes and background chants - more of that influence on the album, please! But o

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Shakersonic123 said:

I think you make a great argument for the quality of the song, but not for Chris' artistic approach. Although as an EDM track it stands out and even contains elements that aren't found in the genre itself like the build-up of instruments, it still was something that was completely unnecessary given how it contrasted drastically (instrumentally) from the rest of Ghost Stories. Question yourself this: Why did he decide to do EDM one year after Avicci and Calvin Harris dominated the Charts? Why didn't he release an EDM single in the 2000s if he really loves it? Why did he specifically collaborate with Avicci? Why not Tiesto or Van Buuren? Why was there even a reason to collaborate? Most artists when they experiment do it themselves. The easy answer to these questions is that Chris wanted to get attention and stay with the current trend (relevant in other words) otherwise you would have to come up with lots of excuses and justifications.

Does it fit on GS - maybe not so much, I'll admit. 

But chart domination? I'm not so sure. I think you're correct to point out the timing matters and that the inspiration is pretty timing-based. But I don't think Chris wants money, for one thing - they have enough. And for attention...honestly I think Coldplay would get more attention if they released another Clocks, Scientist, or Yellow.

And if we're following your logic, can you explain where Fix You or VLV come from? Those are fairly different from Coldplay historically due to use of organ/barbershop vocals, and for the heavy strings in VLV. Ignoring VLV's potential resemblance to that song by that guy who sued, that might objectively be more different than any other Coldplay song given its near-lack of guitars. Those are historically some of Coldplay's most chart-topping and attention-getting songs, but they're not at all "pop derivative of something that came out a year ago." Same goes for ETIAW/Paradise (I can't think of a specific recent artist that these feel like they're ripping off), or AOAL/HFTW. 

I see what you're saying¬†I just can't imagine this is the most efficient or logical way for Chris to make himself feel good. ūüėõ¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Does it fit on GS - maybe not so much, I'll admit. 

But chart domination? I'm not so sure. I think you're correct to point out the timing matters and that the inspiration is pretty timing-based. But I don't think Chris wants money, for one thing - they have enough. And for attention...honestly I think Coldplay would get more attention if they released another Clocks, Scientist, or Yellow.

And if we're following your logic, can you explain where Fix You or VLV come from? Those are fairly different from Coldplay historically due to use of organ/barbershop vocals, and for the heavy strings in VLV. Ignoring VLV's potential resemblance to that song by that guy who sued, that might objectively be more different than any other Coldplay song given its near-lack of guitars. Those are historically some of Coldplay's most chart-topping and attention-getting songs, but they're not at all "pop derivative of something that came out a year ago." Same goes for ETIAW/Paradise (I can't think of a specific recent artist that these feel like they're ripping off), or AOAL/HFTW. 

I see what you're saying¬†I just can't imagine this is the most efficient or logical way for Chris to make himself feel good. ūüėõ¬†

It's not that he wants money. I think it's more about becoming the biggest band in the world, and it's correlated with fame and success. You obviously have to follow the current trend and remain popular to achieve this. As I mentioned in my reply to Strawberryswinger, Chris (I blame Chris btw) had the pressure to make great alternative music in those days. You could even argue that he tried to appeal to a wide audience due to his universal lyrics and lack of experimentation during the first three albums. It was not until VLV when they deviated from their distinct sound, which was based solely on four instruments: Guitar, drums, bass, and piano, and yet the sole reason they decided to experiment more was to please the harsh critics. Even Chris admits that he read the X&Y reviews and was let down. That's why they hired a producer with an avant-garde approach in music. That's why they tried to explore lesser-known, hip genres like shoegaze, incorporated more instruments, and came up with less conventional lyrical themes such as death. I approved the outcome. Honestly, their first four albums are classics, and they deserved the success, but you have to admit that ever since MX, there has been a noticeable pattern. They do a collaboration with one of the most popular artists of that current period, and release a song that follows the current trend.

MX = Rihanna and pop with modern synths

GS = Avicci and EDM

AHFOD = Disco and Beyonce 

For LP9 we have 80s retro. For the collaboration we might get kpop, a rap artist, or any of the biggest pop acts of today like Ariana Grande. It's very predictable. I don't know why fans aren't seeing this. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shakersonic123 said:

It's not that he wants money. I think it's more about becoming the biggest band in the world, and it's correlated with fame and success. You obviously have to follow the current trend and remain popular to achieve this. As I mentioned in my reply to Strawberryswinger, Chris (I blame Chris btw) had the pressure to make great alternative music in those days. You could even argue that he tried to appeal to a wide audience due to his universal lyrics and lack of experimentation during the first three albums. It was not until VLV when they deviated from their distinct sound, which was based solely on four instruments: Guitar, drums, bass, and piano, and yet the sole reason they decided to experiment more was to please the harsh critics. Even Chris admits that he read the X&Y reviews and was let down. That's why they hired a producer with an avant-garde approach in music. That's why they tried to explore lesser-known, hip genres like shoegaze, incorporated more instruments, and came up with less conventional lyrical themes such as death. I approved the outcome. Honestly, their first four albums are classics, and they deserved the success, but you have to admit that ever since MX, there has been a noticeable pattern. They do a collaboration with one of the most popular artists of that current period, and release a song that follows the current trend.

MX = Rihanna and pop with modern synths

GS = Avicci and EDM

AHFOD = Disco and Beyonce 

For LP9 we have 80s retro. For the collaboration we might get kpop, a rap artist, or any of the biggest pop acts of today like Ariana Grande. It's very predictable. I don't know why fans aren't seeing this. 

I know some of you will say, well what about EL? Yeah what about EL? Chris has ignored it. The band didn't promote it like other albums, and has said in a recent interview that its biggest single may not make it in the next tour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow it must be so interesting to be inside Chris' brain like you seem to be! :wacko: Any hint on other songs from LP9? :awesome: 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coeurli said:

Wow it must be so interesting to be inside Chris' brain like you seem to be! :wacko: Any hint on other songs from LP9? :awesome: 

You don't have to be a guru. He's been doing this since MX. Like I've said, it's very predictable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They indeed love to collaborate with the most successful artists of their times. They keep things fresh and exciting for them. If you or fans of other music genres dislike these artists, it's not up to Coldplay to satisfy anybody. There's no proof that they do this because of some strategy. And they only started doing so when they felt free enough to do it, thanks to the VLV era which liberated them. They were big enough to work with the biggest most exciting artists and so they did.

The sole reason they decided to renew their music wasn't to please the critics, it was to save the band and be able to still be passionate in making new music. They were not so happy making music the way they were doing it and something had to change. That's not me saying that, it's them. Watch the documentary.

You are entitled to not believing them but there's no point in trying to convince other folks that your theories are anything else than theories.

This is a fan forum and as such it's to be expected that most people will believe what the band says and love most of the content.

Also a reminder that Coldplay are a band of 4 (+1) people who are grown ass adults and if you truly love and respect the band, then you should assume Will, Guy and Jonny are not forced to do anything and that they take responsibilities for the band's actions, as much as Chris does.

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Coeurli said:

They indeed love to collaborate with the most successful artists of their times. They keep things fresh and exciting for them. If you or fans of other music genres dislike these artists, it's not up to Coldplay to satisfy anybody. There's no proof that they do this because of some strategy. And they only started doing so when they felt free enough to do it, thanks to the VLV era which liberated them. They were big enough to work with the biggest most exciting artists and so they did.

The sole reason they decided to renew their music wasn't to please the critics, it was to save the band and be able to still be passionate in making new music. They were not so happy making music the way they were doing it and something had to change. That's not me saying that, it's them. Watch the documentary.

You are entitled to not believing them but there's no point in trying to convince other folks that your theories are anything else than theories.

This is a fan forum and as such it's to be expected that most people will believe what the band says and love most of the content.

Also a reminder that Coldplay are a band of 4 (+1) people who are grown ass adults and if you truly love and respect the band, then you should assume Will, Guy and Jonny are not forced to do anything and that they take responsibilities for the band's actions, as much as Chris does.

I used to think like this up until the MX era. I defended the band here in this forum, but the clout chasing became more apparent to me (TO ME.....JUST ME) when AHFOD got released, especially with all that noise they made like "A Collab with Beyonce!" "A track with Barack Obama!" "A Noel Gallagher guitar solo!". I thought that everything was so superficial. I never had anything against those artists. I just hate Chris' lack of artistic integrity. That's all. And yes you're correct about the last point. The rest of the band takes responsibility, too. They're grown adults and make their own decisions, but that doesn't take away my liberty to criticize and judge their artistic approach based on the actions that they take (NOT WORDS), and each of their personalities. For this reason, I may come to certain conclusions. 

I'm sorry if I seem to convince people on here. It was not my intention. You believe what you want to believe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Shakersonic123 said:

I know some of you will say, well what about EL? Yeah what about EL? Chris has ignored it. The band didn't promote it like other albums, and has said in a recent interview that its biggest single may not make it in the next tour. 

Exactly, what about EL? It's true that it got hardly any promo. The critics liked it nonetheless and in the recent interviews that I've seen interviewers kept asking about it as well. So there is still interest in and recognition for less trendy music like that. If EL had been promoted more it likely would have sold better too, but they made the decision not to go big with that one. 

Then there was also that recent Dell Technologies event, a very intimate set, which was not mentioned on Coldplay's social media at all. These more "quiet" or experimental albums and events are flying under the radar. They don't really fit their more "fun" and colourful branding anymore.

like you said there is a trend with collabs and following trends and we can speculate about the exact reasons. Probably it's a mixture of what has been mentioned, having fun, staying relevant, critical acclaim, making money. They could still achieve all that by making different music if they wanted to though (examples are Billie Eilish or Bruno Mars). 

Someone mentioned how big a role influence by other people plays, I also have the impression that this is the case, e.g. Chris described Max as their "5th band member". They probably care a lot about what those people tell them and what they think about them. Max works a lot with Ariana btw so I could see that collab coming up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's really annoying that posts get hidden so often for no reason. It's so annoying, hopefully it could get fixed soon, dear moderators.

Edited by Gideon_Mx
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, I ran away said:

Sorry, but I don't get that reasoning. No one makes a song purposefully worse in the studion version (which will forever and always be the definitive, standard version of that song, like it or not) so that people are surprised that it sounds better live.

Why would they do that? Lol. And who said that the studio version is worse? You did, not me.

It's just my opinion that it is actually quite fun that the official version and live version are so different, mainly because of Jonny's guitar presence live and this now gives that wow-effect which is really great.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CP-EST said:

Maybe there is too much emphasis on what is worse or better. I think it's about what sounds good in different circumstances. As controversial as it sounds, I now think that studio version wouldn't benefit from the heavy guitar very much and they made right choice to go all in with synths. Heavy guitar is actually overwhelming to listen when you consider this song for what this song is aiming for - being a synth pop song. In live version though you see them perform and totally rock the song and the guitar has its place there. And they seem to know 100% that Jonny has some amazing guitar stuff in this song, but they are confident enough to leave that for live performance where it has more space for this.

I say it again, the studio version has elements and arrangements which are better than most people actually think at first and being less guitar heavy is doing it a favor. 

You are so right! :thumbsup:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder about this question of how much we value Jonny's guitar in Coldplay's music. I say this because I notice that a lot of fellow fans here like me don't care much for AHFOD and like EL a good amount. But realistically it's like this:

You won't find anything as complex or lengthy guitar-wise on EL as Up&Up. Or maybe on any Coldplay album ever. The opening/bridge riff on AOAL is another example. That's not to say there aren't great Jonny guitar parts on EL like Church and Trouble in Town but I have to think Jonny is more impressive on AHFOD overall, with AHFOD, Birds and Amazing Day also coming to mind. 

So, then, it's not like Jonny is all we value. AHFOD has more impressive performances by him but also much more of a pop sound overall, that's why I don't love it. The other members' contributions matter too. Let's not forget everything we value in a song of theirs. :thinking:

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coldpatrix said:

Hello to everybody.

Question: do exists a Radio Edit of Higher Power?

since the song is only 3 and a half minutes long I don't think there's a need for one?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just came back and saw a barrage of messages and arguments - some of which I actually agree with. Bland vocals and terrible lyrics. I also somewhat side with the following trends, but not entirely because the way it was delivered seemed awfully condescending and the sender of the message spoke as if he was one of the band members himself.

I'd just like to point out that I don't think they're selling out. Sure, they're following trends and making sorta generic music, but it is better than a lot of their recent radio hits, and the band seem to truly love what they're doing right now.

Also, for the guy blaming Chris, don't Coldplay work as a democracy? Chris usually comes up with the idea and Jonny usually approves it, but most of the time many songs are cut off by Will and Guy. So whatever song comes through, you know that at least the band members love it - so why should we call it heartless? The song, though an unashamed pop hit, was written by Max Martin but also co-written by the members - it isn't one of those other pop songs which has a barrage of producers, writers, and people trying to cash in. 

I feel like people's reactions have been too negative. Sure, I didn't like the song when it came out and I still find many faults in it today, and I do miss the more melodic and adventurous Coldplay of their first four records, a bit of Mylo, and Everyday Life. But to call the band sell-outs and say that they pay so much attention to money is ignorant. If you guys keep on spewing stuff like that without further research then I suggest watching the 20 or so interviews - it really gives you a look into how they're thinking right now and is also quite enlightening.

Oh, and if you're wondering I do have high hopes for this album. I think to an extent many of the things Chris said are just teasing - I don't think a BTS collaboration is incoming, because they usually don't collaborate with groups. Sure, the Chainsmokers are the exception, but their music needs the input of a vocalist, unlike other bands who generate music purely by themselves. I'm not that worried about the emoji things either (well not as much) because they usually do this kind of thing with weird titles in the past few years - O from Ghost Stories, A L I E N S looks like a shitpost, there's a title in Arabic, one that's abbreviated as WOTW/POTP, Color Spectrum is stylised as an actual spectrum in the album cover, etc. - I think it'll be more along those lines.

Lastly, when Chris mentioned possible collaborations, I think this will at least be more along the lines of the collabs in Everyday Life rather than in MX or AHFOD. If there were by now we would have gotten serious and credible news of a collaboration but so far we haven't gotten anything bar the rumours with BTS that are mostly thrown around by the fans. So calm down, guys. We have an incredible era ahead and if you didn't like the song I'm sure there's plenty more, whether it be a synthpop 80s song, a Jon Hopkins-assisted song, an experimental Brian Eno song, a calm piano ballad, or some old unreleased song that they want to work on. The era seems too ambitious and well-planned for it to be just a pure pop album with radio-friendly hits. AHFOD had none of this planning and concepts, and neither did Ghost Stories to an extent.

So yeah, there's my take! Feel free to engage in constructive discussion but please no bashing!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Just came back and saw a barrage of messages and arguments - some of which I actually agree with. Bland vocals and terrible lyrics. I also somewhat side with the following trends, but not entirely because the way it was delivered seemed awfully condescending and the sender of the message spoke as if he was one of the band members himself.

I'd just like to point out that I don't think they're selling out. Sure, they're following trends and making sorta generic music, but it is better than a lot of their recent radio hits, and the band seem to truly love what they're doing right now.

Also, for the guy blaming Chris, don't Coldplay work as a democracy? Chris usually comes up with the idea and Jonny usually approves it, but most of the time many songs are cut off by Will and Guy. So whatever song comes through, you know that at least the band members love it - so why should we call it heartless? The song, though an unashamed pop hit, was written by Max Martin but also co-written by the members - it isn't one of those other pop songs which has a barrage of producers, writers, and people trying to cash in. 

I feel like people's reactions have been too negative. Sure, I didn't like the song when it came out and I still find many faults in it today, and I do miss the more melodic and adventurous Coldplay of their first four records, a bit of Mylo, and Everyday Life. But to call the band sell-outs and say that they pay so much attention to money is ignorant. If you guys keep on spewing stuff like that without further research then I suggest watching the 20 or so interviews - it really gives you a look into how they're thinking right now and is also quite enlightening.

Oh, and if you're wondering I do have high hopes for this album. I think to an extent many of the things Chris said are just teasing - I don't think a BTS collaboration is incoming, because they usually don't collaborate with groups. Sure, the Chainsmokers are the exception, but their music needs the input of a vocalist, unlike other bands who generate music purely by themselves. I'm not that worried about the emoji things either (well not as much) because they usually do this kind of thing with weird titles in the past few years - O from Ghost Stories, A L I E N S looks like a shitpost, there's a title in Arabic, one that's abbreviated as WOTW/POTP, Color Spectrum is stylised as an actual spectrum in the album cover, etc. - I think it'll be more along those lines.

Lastly, when Chris mentioned possible collaborations, I think this will at least be more along the lines of the collabs in Everyday Life rather than in MX or AHFOD. If there were by now we would have gotten serious and credible news of a collaboration but so far we haven't gotten anything bar the rumours with BTS that are mostly thrown around by the fans. So calm down, guys. We have an incredible era ahead and if you didn't like the song I'm sure there's plenty more, whether it be a synthpop 80s song, a Jon Hopkins-assisted song, an experimental Brian Eno song, a calm piano ballad, or some old unreleased song that they want to work on. The era seems too ambitious and well-planned for it to be just a pure pop album with radio-friendly hits. AHFOD had none of this planning and concepts, and neither did Ghost Stories to an extent.

So yeah, there's my take! Feel free to engage in constructive discussion but please no bashing!

I blamed Chris Martin for every collaboration that Coldplay has done and for Coldplay's tendency to follow the trend. I don't blame Warner, Atlantic, or Parlaphone. It's Chris. I have so many negative things I have to say about him, but I'm afraid I can't say it on here. I have followed this band for 18 years and analyzed the personalities/characteristics of each band member. It's possible that my conclusions/theories are wrong, but they're never unsubstantiated. I'm just gonna say it briefly without details:  

It's well known that the member that ultimately approves the songs is Will. I'm not sure if this is the case for every single song (maybe not), but Chris has mentioned how he's very opinionated and how a lot of the times he had to ask for his approval. The problem is that Will is a nice guy, and I don't think he wants to create too much conflict. 

If you haven't watched the latest Zane Lowe interview, I suggest you to do it, so you know what I'm talking about. They start talking about Will at 13:55.

 

 

So some of you have made the point that every member contributes to the band; therefore, Chris shouldn't be my scapegoat. You know what? You guys are right. I also blame Will now. HE SHOULD BE MORE SRICT.

Edited by Shakersonic123
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gideon_Mx said:

It's really annoying that posts get hidden so often for no reason. It's so annoying, hopefully it could get fixed soon, dear moderators.

I have no influence on this - only @stephenmight be able to change the settings, i think!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, HowCouldIForget said:

I wonder about this question of how much we value Jonny's guitar in Coldplay's music. I say this because I notice that a lot of fellow fans here like me don't care much for AHFOD and like EL a good amount. But realistically it's like this:

You won't find anything as complex or lengthy guitar-wise on EL as Up&Up. Or maybe on any Coldplay album ever. The opening/bridge riff on AOAL is another example. That's not to say there aren't great Jonny guitar parts on EL like Church and Trouble in Town but I have to think Jonny is more impressive on AHFOD overall, with AHFOD, Birds and Amazing Day also coming to mind. 

So, then, it's not like Jonny is all we value. AHFOD has more impressive performances by him but also much more of a pop sound overall, that's why I don't love it. The other members' contributions matter too. Let's not forget everything we value in a song of theirs. :thinking:

Funny that you say this because I literally like all of the Coldplay songs and albums where Jonny has the most/best contributions, REGARDLESS of some of the other things people hate about AHFOD. I could write a glowing essay about AHFOD. The title track has a cool Gandhi reference and an amazing guitar riff, such an energetic beat. AOAL has a great riff. Up&Up is my favourite Coldplay song ever. Everglow is such a nice blending of old- and new-play. My only complaints are that 1. the guitar is sometimes too quiet, with Army of One being the worst culprit, 2. X Marks the Spot isn't a bad song but it doesn't fit too well on the album, and 3. putting Army of One right after Amazing Grace is kinda silly. Amazing Day should've gone there (and in fact that's how I sequence it in my itunes). But this is just my crazy Jonny-prioritizing opinion. ūüôā

I can see the argument that the guitar might detract from the synth. I would argue, why not both? Basically all the songs on MX suggest they can coexist, esp ETIAW, HLH, and POC. 

Speaking of guitars - Shakersonic I only JUST got your name. I got a little sad that Noel's last LP was so guitar-less in a particular way. Maybe I should change my CPing name to Live Anger. ūüėõ¬†

Edited by MosesTheMarshmallow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shakersonic123 said:

I blamed Chris Martin for every collaboration that Coldplay has done and for Coldplay's tendency to follow the trend. I don't blame Warner, Atlantic, or Parlaphone. It's Chris. I have so many negative things I have to say about him, but I'm afraid I can't say it on here. I have followed this band for 18 years and analyzed the personalities/characteristics of each band member. It's possible that my conclusions/theories are wrong, but they're never unsubstantiated. I'm just gonna say it briefly without details:  

It's well known that the member that ultimately approves the songs is Will. I'm not sure if this is the case for every single song (maybe not), but Chris has mentioned how he's very opinionated and how a lot of the times he had to ask for his approval. The problem is that Will is a nice guy, and I don't think he wants to create too much conflict. 

If you haven't watched the latest Zane Lowe interview, I suggest you to do it, so you know what I'm talking about. They start talking about Will at 13:55.

 

 

So some of you have made the point that every member contributes to the band; therefore, Chris shouldn't be my scapegoat. You know what? You guys are right. I also blame Will now. HE SHOULD BE MORE SRICT.

I don't think anyone's to blame here. Will's important to the band not just because he approves the songs but because without him it wouldn't be the same. He left the band for a few weeks and it all went to shit - the song Trouble's kind of an apology to him, saying like - Hey Man, we shouldn't ever doubt you anymore. Even if some of the songs coming through are questionable and generic I don't doubt Will for a second. He's probably rejected so many songs that when he does accept - even if it's trash to you, you don't question the band's intentions.

Secondly, I think all of Chris' trend with collaborating isn't due to him being greedy for money. Have you seen the guy? He's probably in contention for one of the nicest people ever - he's gone to Africa to help starving kids, helped with the Eavis family, donated millions of dollars, splits money with the band equally though he could very well take it for himself, shoulders all the media and bashing by others (such as yourself), and much more. He's so earnest and just wants a better world - everything he's said in the past 10-15 years has been geared towards it. His collaborations happen because he loves human beings. He loves human collaboration and people working together. He loves the collective strive towards something better. In that sense I don't see any problem with collaborations. Sure, sometimes they're geared towards money or at times generic songs, but that doesn't arise from any of the band being greedy. Not at all. If you've SUPPOSEDLY (supposedly being the key word) analyzed each band member for 18 years then you'll know what I mean.

It's okay to not like Coldplay for their music or artistic direction. But I can't take bashing because of Chris or how nice they are. That's like the ultimate dick move. All they just want is love and unity yet they receive praise but at the same time criticism, harsh and unnecessary insults, and bashing. So don't blame Chris for leading Coldplay where they are. Don't blame anyone. As he said in another interview their style may have changed but X&Y is still there. Parachutes is still there. As are Viva and AROBTTH. Everyday Life came out barely a year and a half ago. Even if you don't like their newer records you can still listen to and appreciate the old ones. 

And don't insult Chris like that. Pardon my language but that's just fucking stupid, insulting one of the nicest men who's tried so hard to bring everyone together. Just stop.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I don't think anyone's to blame here. Will's important to the band not just because he approves the songs but because without him it wouldn't be the same. He left the band for a few weeks and it all went to shit - the song Trouble's kind of an apology to him, saying like - Hey Man, we shouldn't ever doubt you anymore. Even if some of the songs coming through are questionable and generic I don't doubt Will for a second. He's probably rejected so many songs that when he does accept - even if it's trash to you, you don't question the band's intentions.

Secondly, I think all of Chris' trend with collaborating isn't due to him being greedy for money. Have you seen the guy? He's probably in contention for one of the nicest people ever - he's gone to Africa to help starving kids, helped with the Eavis family, donated millions of dollars, splits money with the band equally though he could very well take it for himself, shoulders all the media and bashing by others (such as yourself), and much more. He's so earnest and just wants a better world - everything he's said in the past 10-15 years has been geared towards it. His collaborations happen because he loves human beings. He loves human collaboration and people working together. He loves the collective strive towards something better. In that sense I don't see any problem with collaborations. Sure, sometimes they're geared towards money or at times generic songs, but that doesn't arise from any of the band being greedy. Not at all. If you've SUPPOSEDLY (supposedly being the key word) analyzed each band member for 18 years then you'll know what I mean.

It's okay to not like Coldplay for their music or artistic direction. But I can't take bashing because of Chris or how nice they are. That's like the ultimate dick move. All they just want is love and unity yet they receive praise but at the same time criticism, harsh and unnecessary insults, and bashing. So don't blame Chris for leading Coldplay where they are. Don't blame anyone. As he said in another interview their style may have changed but X&Y is still there. Parachutes is still there. As are Viva and AROBTTH. Everyday Life came out barely a year and a half ago. Even if you don't like their newer records you can still listen to and appreciate the old ones. 

And don't insult Chris like that. Pardon my language but that's just fucking stupid, insulting one of the nicest men who's tried so hard to bring everyone together. Just stop.

When did I say that Chris was greedy and did it for the money? Please read my replies carefully. Chris is a very nice person. He's one of the nicest celebrities out there, but I'm here criticizing his artistic approach. Nothing else. Read my replies. I'm not insulting Chris as a human being. My negative opinions are mostly about how he has influenced the band throughout the years, and how he works as an artist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris does not crave (more) money, he craves approval. And like any artist, he really likes to make the kind of music he likes. I see this as the biggest problem actually: his 180¬į turn on what he considers great music ūüėĄ

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, I ran away said:

Chris does not crave (more) money, he craves approval. And like any artist, he really likes to make the kind of music he likes. I see this as the biggest problem actually: his 180¬į turn on what he considers great music ūüėĄ

Yeah agree. I feel like he's too self-conscious and craves approval. I don't think that makes him a bad person though. Being an artist is his job and just like any job you want to do things right and expect approval. I do think that Chris is a genius in his own goofy way. I treat him like an ambitious CEO of a big company that wants to become huge. He always had the vision of making Coldplay the biggest band in the world, and he did it. I just don't agree with his vision/goals because I think the band has the talent to do better things. Nonetheless, it worked, and he achieved his goals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Speaking of guitars - Shakersonic I only JUST got your name. I got a little sad that Noel's last LP was so guitar-less in a particular way. Maybe I should change my CPing name to Live Anger. ūüėõ¬†

Hahaha¬†ūüėÖ. Two of my favorite Oasis songs. I haven't listened to it much, but¬†I thought it was okay on my first listens. I wasn't that impressed. I'm actually more¬†surprised that I'm liking Liam Gallagher's newer stuff. It's better than I expected.¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...