✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres

gai

I did a weird thing. I listened to the song a million times the other week but then cold stopped for 5 days. By the fourth day, I was listening to a lot of other music and I basically had forgot the way the synths sounded and couldn't even hum the bass. 

I listened to the song again and I feel like with the initial excitement gone, my overall opinion has reduced a bit to putting HP on par with AOAL and HFTW, the weaker singles of Coldplay's 2010 catalogue.  So like maybe a 6-7/10.

I saw some folks on reddit talk about it, but it does feel like a really well produced, constructed song that's lacking in a bit of soul. Which is maybe ironic because it literally has a soul choir on backing vocals, which I really like. But I don't know... it has a great chorus, the verses are fun and catchy, but I also feel it's lacking a rawness that made previous singles like Orphans, Champion of the World, ASFOS, paradise, etc. really pop for me. Maybe it's Chris's delivery, maybe it's the fact that the beat really doesn't change from start to finish, but idk. I hope we get alt versions of this song that maybe include some more guitar, horns, or guest vocalists to spice it up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lennyrott1 said:

I did a weird thing. I listened to the song a million times the other week but then cold stopped for 5 days. By the fourth day, I was listening to a lot of other music and I basically had forgot the way the synths sounded and couldn't even hum the bass. 

I listened to the song again and I feel like with the initial excitement gone, my overall opinion has reduced a bit to putting HP on par with AOAL and HFTW, the weaker singles of Coldplay's 2010 catalogue.  So like maybe a 6-7/10.

I saw some folks on reddit talk about it, but it does feel like a really well produced, constructed song that's lacking in a bit of soul. Which is maybe ironic because it literally has a soul choir on backing vocals, which I really like. But I don't know... it has a great chorus, the verses are fun and catchy, but I also feel it's lacking a rawness that made previous singles like Orphans, Champion of the World, ASFOS, paradise, etc. really pop for me. Maybe it's Chris's delivery, maybe it's the fact that the beat really doesn't change from start to finish, but idk. I hope we get alt versions of this song that maybe include some more guitar, horns, or guest vocalists to spice it up. 

Same here - I re-listened today after the lyric video came out. I agree though about the beat not changing a whole lot, ie the dynamic contour of the song stays about the same the whole time. Orphans, ETIAW, CB are all sort of fast-loud songs that have a decidedly quiet/slowed down middle before exploding again. ASFOS and Paradise do a good job of building into the choruses with beat-drop type things. 

However, a positive thing I also noticed upon relistening today - let your brain focus on the electric guitar and importantly, the tambourine on the final chorus. It might change your experience of the song!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Something similar happened to me, but my excitement only lasted one day. I was listening to Boys of Summer instead, which is a way better song imo, and I kept forgetting how HP sounded like. It's really my least favorite Coldplay single. 

I freaking love Boys of Summer -- the synths, guitar solos, driving beat, soaring vocals. It's funny because I LOVE 80's music. I have multiple playlists of synthpop & pop rock from the 80's -- New Order, Duran Duran, A-Ha, Don Henley, Eagles, Kate Bush, Bangles, Prince, Pet Shop Boys, Violent Femmes, Van Halen...

The problem I think Coldplay runs into is that they want to make music inspired by those artists and genres but they often fall short of fully leaping into it & embracing it. There's a certain restraint the band has had over the  past 10 years, where song ultimately quiet down Jonny's guitar, they focus on a consistent but not dynamic drum beat, they make the vocals and production extremely clean. For example -- ASFOS wanted to be this club thumping EDM sad banger... but it wasn't quite that nor was it quite a rock song. HFTW wants to be a dramatic party sing-along, and it teases horns and jangling percussion on the verse and bridge, but then pulls back on the chorus to deliver a very generic 4x4 beat with the instruments muddied so the vocals can take over. 

Similarly Higher Power has A LOT of good stuff going for it -- the 3-2-1 blast off of synths at the beginning, the complimentary backing vocals, the funky bass and understated verse delivery. But then, on the chorus, the band pulls back. There's no drums, there's no epic rhythm change up, there's not epic guitar or horns, and Chris sings in essentially the same vocal register (until the last chorus). Live, the song is much better but still lacks instrumental diversity imo. The song will likely grow on me over more time and within the album's context, but for now I'm a bit disappointed the band didn't move forward with its experimentation on EL on Higher Power. That's just my opinion -- I'm overall glad folks universally seem to like the song! 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

I freaking love Boys of Summer -- the synths, guitar solos, driving beat, soaring vocals. It's funny because I LOVE 80's music. I have multiple playlists of synthpop & pop rock from the 80's -- New Order, Duran Duran, A-Ha, Don Henley, Eagles, Kate Bush, Bangles, Prince, Pet Shop Boys, Violent Femmes, Van Halen...

The problem I think Coldplay runs into is that they want to make music inspired by those artists and genres but they often fall short of fully leaping into it & embracing it. There's a certain restraint the band has had over the  past 10 years, where song ultimately quiet down Jonny's guitar, they focus on a consistent but not dynamic drum beat, they make the vocals and production extremely clean. For example -- ASFOS wanted to be this club thumping EDM sad banger... but it wasn't quite that nor was it quite a rock song. HFTW wants to be a dramatic party sing-along, and it teases horns and jangling percussion on the verse and bridge, but then pulls back on the chorus to deliver a very generic 4x4 beat with the instruments muddied so the vocals can take over. 

Similarly Higher Power has A LOT of good stuff going for it -- the 3-2-1 blast off of synths at the beginning, the complimentary backing vocals, the funky bass and understated verse delivery. But then, on the chorus, the band pulls back. There's no drums, there's no epic rhythm change up, there's not epic guitar or horns, and Chris sings in essentially the same vocal register (until the last chorus). Live, the song is much better but still lacks instrumental diversity imo. The song will likely grow on me over more time and within the album's context, but for now I'm a bit disappointed the band didn't move forward with its experimentation on EL on Higher Power. That's just my opinion -- I'm overall glad folks universally seem to like the song! 

Well, I hate to repeat myself again and again, but I think what doesn't let the band embrace and submerge into a certain genre is their habit of following the trend and just dabble superficially. 

I remember when Adventure of a Lifetime came out, and I was very hopeful about AHFOD. The song was very upbeat, and I loved the outro. We had already heard Amazing Day at the Global Citizen festival, but for some reason I assumed that it was gonna be a non-album song, and that their new sound was gonna be closer to R.A.M by Daft Punk or Justice. Sadly, I was way off. The album didn't have another disco song, which was disappointing because the band definitely has the talent to add their own touch and create something unique. This is just my opinion, but AHFOD felt like a weird salad. Too many different ingredients and a lack of unity. It seemed like they couldn't focus on one idea. There were some regurgitated formulas from MX, some Brian Eno-esque interludes and transitions, a disco song, Coldplay-esque mellow songs with very bad production, and a very generic pop collab with Beyonce that also felt out of place. 

I don't mind listening to pop at all, but if they do it like they did with AHFOD, then I don't want it. I wish I could say "WOW Coldplay are going 80s! WOHOO!" because I really love New Wave, and I also know that they have the capacity to create something interesting and exciting like M83 or Twin Shadow, for instance, but I can already tell that HP is just an attempt to catch up with the charts. I fear that LP9 won't have another 80s pop-influenced song. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they use more retro elements, but based on this band's history, I doubt it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shakersonic123 said:

I fear that LP9 won't have another 80s pop-influenced song. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they use more retro elements, but based on this band's history, I doubt it. 

Tbh I don't mind if Higher Power is the only 80's inspired track and the poppiest on the album. Imagine an album filled with catchy but generic synthpop songs rather than an album that has much better songs than its lead single. I'm hoping it's going the Orphans direction in that its by far the poppiest and that we get better and more substantial tracks in the album.

• Like 2

That would mean that they're not exploring the genre enough. The songs don't have to be poppy and upbeat like Take On Me or Boys of Summer. They can also get inspired by more mature forms of songwriting like Talking Heads or Talk Talk. This is just my opinion, but I rather have a Coldplay album with 4-6 80s-inspired tracks than only doing one track that sticks out like a sore thumb. I like when artists take the risk. 

Edited by Shakersonic123
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shakersonic123 said:

That would mean that they're not exploring the genre enough. The songs don't have to be poppy and upbeat like Take On Me or Boys of Summer. They can also get inspired by more mature forms of songwriting like Talking Heads or Talk Talk. This is just my opinion, but I rather have a Coldplay album with 4-6 80s-inspired tracks than only doing one track that sticks out like a sore thumb. I like when artists take the risk. 

This is also true. Would love to see their take on bands/artists like David Bowie, R.E.M., Talk Talk, Giorgio Moroder, etc. One of my favorite albums, Random Access Memories, somewhat follows this - electronic experimentation in songs like Motherboard, 80's disco and pop in Get Lucky, whatever songs like Touch and Beyond do as well. It seamlessly meshed intelligent 80s musical styles with modern pop and electronic production.

Edited by TheBigBadBono
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Shakersonic123 said:

I've been listening to a bunch of New Order for the first time over the last few days and Coldplay could learn a thing or two from their songwriting if they want to do 80s synthpop.

Alternatively, Coldplay could take inspiration from Depeche Mode. They already did with Anton Corbijn's alternate music video for Viva la Vida because it's a tribute to the video for Enjoy The Silence (also directed by Anton Corbijn).

And I know for a fact that Chris is a fan...

https://pitchfork.com/news/rock-hall-2020-depeche-mode-honored-by-arcade-fire-coldplay-chvrches-zz-top-members/

• Like 4

Yeah basically agree with everything being said here. What feels most likely is we get some alternative tracks drawing from other 80's artists like Talking Heads, Depeche Mode & some maybe even influence from the Eno Eras (weird spacey noises, different time signatures, more Jonny). But we also know Max Martin could be a credited producer on every song, which likely means more clean production and pop sounds (Guy even said in a recent interview they're focusing on "studio techniques" which sounds like a pop production euphemism). On top of that, we have confirmed help from Jacob Collier (human heart) and maybe Jon Hopkins (MOTS intro). I suspect the album could unfurl like AHFOD -- we get one ore two pretty accessible singles and then one or two more alt-rock tracks and overall the album is a balance of pop and alternative, which has been the standard since 2011. It makes sense -- please old fans, new fans, and bring in a new audience, but I feel like MX and AHFOD aren't sonically consistent imo. 

Best case scenario (for my fandom) is the era outside Higher Power takes a left turn towards a much more spacey, ambient, progressive sound that falls more in to the AICTAIY, ALIENS, 42, X&Y, Midnight, O, MX interludes, HLH type Coldplay. Or maybe the album is super poppy and they release an alternative EP (Kaliediscope-esque) in 2022. Your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Coeurli said:

Looks like Coldplay own the master recording of Higher Power!!  And maybe that will be the case for the entire album?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what does that would mean?

1 hour ago, dxm3557 said:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what does that would mean?

Here are the definitions on Spotify:

P Line: In copyright law, the P Line is specific to musical works (the P stands for “phonogram”) and is represented by ℗. The purpose of this symbol is to indicate that legal rights are held for a sound recording and to identify the owner of those rights. You may have seen this printed on an LP sleeve or CD booklet accompanied by the year that the work was first released and the name of the owner of the sound recording. For digital music the P Line is included within the metadata associated with an audio file.

C Line: The © symbol, or C Line, is used to indicate copyright in a range of creative works other than sound recordings. In the context of music it is used to denote rights protection for the cover art or written material included within an album, like liner notes. It can also be used in relation to the underlying musical composition and lyrics. Because the P Line and C Line refer to different rights you will always see them written separately, even when the owner of the rights is the same.

I'm not an expert so folks are welcome to correct me if i'm wrong, but basically, usually the label owns the recording of the song while the artist owns what makes the song (lyrics, melody etc). In this case, Coldplay completely own the material and they're only letting the label use it under licensing. So more money to Coldplay and more power to them. This is a pretty big step!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • stephen changed the title to Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unfeatured, unpinned and featured this topic