✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres

gai

So glad I got out of bed for this. You could really feel the excitement of the band, loved the talk with Thomas. 

And I’m just blown away by the song, the wall of sound in it, the joy. Better than I expected actually. I like what Chris said about it’s meaning too. 

Edited by Bauk
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, EasySuperstition99 said:

That's kinda what I like about it though. Chris's more muted, low-key delivery until the last chorus makes the release that much sweeter—it feels like a sigh of relief almost. 

I think the problem for me is the first 2:30 are fairly underwhelming and THEN it kicks into gear. That's cool but I'm also left thinking "where was that energy from the start? WHERE WAS JONNY?"

Edited by Sonic85
  • Like 5

Lol. I don't understand why people are always screaming "where's jonny" when it's just the first single. 

I'm sure he'll be prominent in the other songs on the album. He doesn't need to be prominent in EVERY song, you know. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MANY THOUGHTS

WHAT A BOP.

Coldplay are the kings of melody this is just a fact. The bridge. Also the BASS!!!! and the falsetto!!!!!!!!!! It's like they merged Hurts Like Heaven and Birds, poured some 80s sounds over it and generally made it better holy fuck. I'm 100% here for Mylo Xylotwo!

:bliss::loveshower::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled::dazzled:  :loveshower::bliss:

ok end of my enthusiastic thoughts at 1:22 am GOOD NIGHT

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Sonic85 said:

I think the problem for me is the first 2:30 are fairly underwhelming and THEN it kicks into the gear. That's cool but I'm also left thinking "where was that energy from the start? WHERE WAS JONNY?"

Fair enough! However, I think another reason it works for me is because it is only 2:30. It goes by so quickly that it succeeds in not crossing the line between 'buildup' and 'boring'.

• Like 1

I'm really so positively surprised. I feared that the song would turn out to be quite a 'generic' pop song, but no way. Coldplay has once again delivered! The bridge is awesome, the production, hell, all instruments sound great. It's catchy but it's not too much 'in your face'. Needs a couple more listens, but that is often a good sign when it comes to Coldplay songs! I'm totally ready for this era. Bring it on boys!

• Like 5

I just did the rank every Coldplay album song thread (would recommend) and I'd say ~8.5 out of 10. I like Jonny's riff peeking out near the end. I also like that the end of the chorus lyrics don't rhyme. I think about something like Swallowed in the Sea and I'm glad Chris doesn't force it anymore. Ever since GS, every time I hear a Coldplay song and it doesn't have those garbage Adam Lavine wannabe vocal acrobatics (like at the end of Adventure of a Lifetime) I'm happy. I was afraid this would be super pop and cringy but it's not and I definitely like the 80s-style keyboards. Just a reminder of past opening singles

Shiver

In My Place

Speed of Sound

Violet Hill

ETIAW

Magic

AOAL

Orphans/Arabesque

I'll take this over those last three (minus Arabesque) any day of the week. 

I also like how the chorus is a little different every time. A little flat at first but gets better with each repeat, rather than just a chorus for the sake of having one. 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, auroraa_4 said:

Well...

I feel kinda impressed by how risky most of the musical choices they made actually are !

But... maybe too risky compared to their  very high commercial expectations ?

Have to disagree here. Don’t think this is risky at all. This is a very mainstream sound right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow that was WAAAAAAY better than what I was expecting ? I mean I liked the 15 sec preview but the outro alone takes the song to another level! Couldn't help but smile the whole music video ?

I can't tell you how much I love this band ??

• Like 4

• stephen changed the title to HIGHER POWER | STREAM/DOWNLOAD EVERYWHERE | DISCUSSION
  • stephen changed the title to Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unfeatured, unpinned and featured this topic