✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres

gai

1 minute ago, WeddingDom said:

Wow that was WAAAAAAY better than what I was expecting ? I mean I liked the 15 sec preview but the outro alone takes the song to another level! Couldn't help but smile the whole music video ?

I can't tell you how much I love this band ??

They never disappoint 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dherlax said:

I don't think it's a world hit as expected

Yeah, I always wonder about this. I think there was only like 50K waiting to hear the song that I saw. Which seems awfully low for Coldplay. As a comparison, when I was waiting for Choker by Twenty One Pilots to come out last week, there were 125K people waiting to listen. Not sure how accurate YouTube metrics are, though. 

On the one hand, I want them to succeed the best they can (as long as it's not something like Magic). But personally, I'd rather have something I really enjoy and have it be a moderate success. I don't need them to be Adele-level breaking records. I just want them to be happy with what they're doing. I'm sure they're not hurting for money. 

• Like 1

Well to begin with, this production and mixing is as good as it can be in pop song. Of course we want more Jonny, but we probably hear him a bit higher up in live performance.

I think this is definitely one of their strongest song from vocal perspective. There is so much going on with backing vocals and it varies a lot. But they have made it sound so effortless and great, sounds very clear.

Also I think overall it's actually a lot better song than a lot of people realise at first. It's not their masterpiece, but it's probably one of their best arranged pop song and song gives me vibes that they have enjoyed recording it so much.

I just really enjoy listening it and it makes me happy, no need to overthink and compare it too much with everything else.

Edited by CP-EST
  • Like 8

• stephen changed the title to HIGHER POWER | STREAM/DOWNLOAD EVERYWHERE | DISCUSSION
35 minutes ago, IslandToDiscover said:

Have to disagree here. Don’t think this is risky at all. This is a very mainstream sound right now.

I can agree to an extent. I think Blinding Lights has helped reinvigorate that 80s sound, charts wise. 

I think it's important to remember that this has usually been the case with Coldplay, though. I always hear Oldplayers say how Coldplay used to be so much better but I think people forget that Parachutes and ARoBttH was a very mainstream sound in the early 00s. Absolution by Muse and Hopes and Fears by Keane were popular in the post-Radiohead OK Computer wave and there was a lot of alt-rock on the radio. I'm not saying Coldplay isn't original (I love the first two albums) but we're all influenced by what we hear around us. 

I think the only albums I heard and thought "wow, this is way different than anything out right now" are Viva, MX (outside of Paradise and PoC) and Everyday Life. 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Like 6

"oh yeah you 've got a higher power you' re once in any lifetime I'm going a million miles an hour when for so long I've been down on my knees and your love song saved me over and over for so long" 

That part is just killing me :bomb:

(i m not sure what the correct lyrics are though) 

It is such an uplifting song! 

But I couldn't help myself and had to cry my heart out. Because for so long I've been down on my knees. 

#goosebumps #happines #tears #beatingheart #dance #love

LOVE u guys ?

Edited by [email protected].
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, [email protected]. said:

"oh yeah you 've got a higher power you' re once in any lifetime I'm going a million miles an hour when for so long I've been down on my knees and your love song saved me over and over for so long" 

I couldn't help myself but I had to cry my heart out. Because for so long I've been down on my knees. 

LOVE u guys ?

I'm emotionally drained 

So so incredible ty to Coldplay

Edited by harrisonrules
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, [email protected]. said:

I couldn't help myself but I had to cry my heart out. Because for so long I've been down on my knees. 

LOVE u guys ?

BTW that top lyric is by far my favorite bit

2 hours ago, stephen said:

That is the best piece of Coldplay content I've heard in years! I was literally dancing around the room listening on repeat!!

I'm so happy that you love it, but...in years? Where have you been during Everyday Life ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, stephen said:

That is the best piece of Coldplay content I've heard in years! I was literally dancing around the room listening on repeat!!

Arabesque and Trouble in Town would like to have a word with you...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At this point I'm not sure what to think of the song tbh. I like some parts of it, like the intro and the Eastern Asian vibes and background chants - more of that influence on the album, please! But other parts were too generic for my liking. I don't get why everyone loves the bridge. The repetitive lyrics in the bridge ("You've got - a higher - yeah you've got" etc.) were the worst of the entire song. Then Jonny's guitar was missing in my opinion. SJLT was saved by Jonny's great riff for me, this song has none at all... The last part/outro was good but could have used some more power (no pun intended), or at least following through the melodic change that was slightly hinted at with the last "You've got" of the chorus. I felt there was some missed potential there.

EDIT: Oops, sent off the post too early. I wanted to say that I feel it will be the kind of song that grows on me with more listens, and I definitely have to listen many more times to get a complete feel for it! And then I guess I'll know if I like it or not.

• Like 13

Just now, shred said:

Arabesque and Trouble in Town would like to have a word with you...

Those were great too

My favorite aspect of Coldplay is how much their sound seems to progress and change.

BTW everyone was talking about JB but Guy shines on this 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, I ran away said:

At this point I'm not sure what to think of the song tbh. I like some parts of it, like the intro and the Eastern Asian vibes and background chants - more of that influence on the album, please! But other parts were too generic for my liking. I don't get why everyone loves the bridge. The repetitive lyrics in the bridge ("You've got - a higher - yeah you've got" etc.) were the worst of the entire song. Then Jonny's guitar was missing in my opinion. SJLT was saved by Jonny's great riff for me, this song has none at all... The last part/outro was good but could have used some more power (no pun intended), or at least following through the melodic change that was slightly hinted at with the last "You've got" of the chorus. I felt there was some missed potential there.

EDIT: Oops, sent off the post too early. I wanted to say that I feel it will be the kind of song that grows on me with more listens, and I definitely have to listen many more times to get a complete feel for it! And then I guess I'll know if I like it or not.

What's wrong with repetitive lyrics? I will understand that.... ? 

Intro is lovely and especially the end! Melody is amazing, lyrics, (I more of melody/vocals type person, lyrics dont matter to me to be honest. More about the sound than words is what makes Music) lyrics are good I guess, again I dont care what the lyrics are, as long the message is good behind them. 

I miss Jonny. His guitar is there but it's buried in the mix.

But apart from that, the song reminds me so much of Birds. It's pop Coldplay, yet something about it just keeps me coming back. Maybe it's the indie pop vibes, maybe it's the way this band knows how to craft a melody. I'm not sure if it's better than Orphans or even Adventure of a Lifetime (which is quite poppy yet also has one of Jonny's coolest riffs ever). But I have a feeling this song is going to grow on me.

32 minutes ago, harrisonrules said:

BTW everyone was talking about JB but Guy shines on this 

That's true. Guy sounds great and his bass line is yet another thing that reminds me of Birds.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

I know if I'll the song just with one listen. I say 90% of the time. That's it. I only need one listen to decide. It boggles my mind how people need multiple listens... The first time I heard ASFOS back in a computer class in High School in May of 2014, I instantly fell in love with it. And that was just one listen.

Higher Power for me, a tie with ETIAW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

What's wrong with repetitive lyrics? I will understand that.... ? 

I think it's lazy writing, especially if it's not even a full sentence or meaningful phrase that is being repeated (I don't mind "Open up your eyes", for example) but some meaningless snippets ("you've got - yeah you've got -").

1 hour ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

I know if I'll the song just with one listen. I say 90% of the time. That's it. I only need one listen to decide. It boggles my mind how people need multiple listens... The first time I heard ASFOS back in a computer class in High School in May of 2014, I instantly fell in love with it. And that was just one listen.

Higher Power for me, a tie with ETIAW.

It's the same for me for some songs that I immediately love. Like most recently Arabesque, I heard it once and loved it already. It's the songs that I'm not immediately sure about that take more listens for me.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

33 minutes ago, I ran away said:

I think it's lazy writing, especially if it's not even a full sentence or meaningful phrase that is being repeated (I don't mind "Open up your eyes", for example) but some meaningless snippets ("you've got - yeah you've got -").

It's the same for me for some songs that I immediately love. Like most recently Arabesque, I heard it once and loved it already. It's the songs that I'm not immediately sure about that take more listens for me.

The song recently (last 2 years) that immediately grabbed my attention and loved from the very beginning was COTW.

• Like 2

I'm so excited to see the fandom celebrating this track and I just have to say how wonderful it is to be a fan of band that's constantly switching up the vibe and sound of their music. Higher Power is gonna sit comfortably with many other singles over the last decade -- it's got a great beat, a sticky chorus, and some interesting new soundscapes I wasn't expecting. My TLDR review is a solid 7/10, similar to singles like AOAL and ASFOS, which are songs that took a while to grow on me. 

Spoiler

My true review of the track though (after like 20 listens) is somewhat mixed. The intro of the song instantly grabbed me -- the weird countdown, the big, wide synths, then the beat backed up by those icy synths tinkling in the background!  I think the first 60 seconds of the song are absolutely killer. My main issue I guess is that many parts of the song feel disparate. Like the first verse doesn't rhyme going into the chorus, and the chorus itself feels very Chris + some producers. Jonny is strumming away on that guitar but no sound is coming out. Luckily the percussion and bass are nice and punchy and I love Chris' understated delivery on the verses. But then the choruses go on, lots of random vocal affects are thrown in and out, and the outro kind of aims for this epic, emotional conclusion... but for some reason it just falls a bit flat for me.

I appreciate them trying to mix up the melody for the final send off, but the beat and synths don't change, which feels a bit repetitive. Maybe a saxophone or a guitar solo here could have added some energy to help sell the feels. Think the blaring guitar in TiT or the crescendo of horns on Arabesque, or the build up strings on the end of Birds. HP doesn't really added anything except a few more inaudible synth sounds.

I have to commend Max Martin for producing a wicked clean track. This thing sounds absolutely phenomenal and I feel like if we're comparing Max to say, Stargate or Avicii, then he's the clear winner in matching up with Coldplay's sound. That said, it isn't quite as instrumentally interesting to me as Viva/MX eras, but we'll see how other tracks sound on the upcoming EP/LP. 

I love 80's music and this feels like a really nice homage to that era. But at the same time, I also love disco/funk, and AOAL was a track that I felt was solid and fun but never fully sold the disco vibe to me. Same with HP. There's a modern pop restraint to that 80's sound -- the backing vocals are present, but still sunken behind Chris' clear voice. There's a power guitar chord on the chorus between 'You've got.." and "a higher power", but it's turned way way down. I am always concerned of the band losing it's bite because many modern pop songs don't use heavy sounding guitar, but every Coldplay song that actually turns jonny up is way better for it. I suspect HP is going to sound WAY more epic and fun live with the extra drum fills from will and some more guitar from Jonny, but I justwish these modern Coldplay studio recordings had that instrumentation too. 

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 6

• stephen changed the title to Track 02 - Higher Power | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unfeatured, unpinned and featured this topic