✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres

On 9/24/2021 at 4:04 PM, ysthomas said:

GarbageOffice…I totally agree. I listened to it once and never need to listen to it again.  I may edit it out of the album when it comes out next month.  I get it that people that enjoy sickening sweet pop music may like this but it’s not what I want to hear from Coldplay.  If I want to hear Britney Spears or BTS, I’ll toss them on but if I wanna hear Coldplay, this isn’t what I’m looking for.  

i agree with that, i am not a fan of my universe at all 

• Wow 1

Hi! Have you recived the CD sigles? Ihavent recived mines yet.

I´m a little dissapointed (with High Power was the same) becasue I think that if you have ordered something in preorder, they should recive it tha day of it comes out to sale... 

In the other hand, I think they should include some extra songs in the C D singles as in the past. The instrumental or acoustic versions don´t "contribute" very much to music. Maybe in other type of songs, but with this electronic songs it doesnt make sense. In fact the vocals are the same as someone said.

About the remix I prefer not so said nothing xD

• Like 2

Now that everything is out (though I suspect other remixes will come) here are general thoughts. Putting in spoilers for length: 

Spoiler

My Universe: This is a solid 8/10 song for me. I do think that criticism about it being repetitive & generic is true, especially on the verses. But for me what makes this song one of Coldplay's best singles is the big energy, tight production, and incredible vocal features by BTS. Really it's the harmonies and vocals that make this song stay engaging and it's all very catchy. Guy and Will really stand out for creating a groovy beat on this one, and Chris has a great performance, but wish there was more Jonny guitar licks which are very quiet in the mix. I also love the glitchy outro, creating a jam & dance fade out. I wish there was just a little bit more instrumentation or a bigger moment on the final chorus (like a guitar solo or wailing saxophone) to create a bigger climax -- these are the two biggest bands in the world coming together so why not go all out? But overall I like this song more than Higher Power for its funky groove and message of togetherness across borders.

My Universe Acoustic: Like the Higher Power acoustic version, this feels a bit lazy to me. They clearly just used the same exact vocal performance and threw it on the instrumental. The guitar kind of reminds me Green Day's Good Riddance, but the performance is good and emphasizes how beautiful the song's melodies are. And the outro is WOW. I bet this will sound really nice live, I've always loved when the band does intense strumming songs. This does make me wish the studio version had this acoustic guitar in the mix a bit. 

My Universe Supernova 7 Remix: This was a special surprise! Guy Berryman flexing his production skills. I overall think it's one of the better remixes I've heard from Coldplay. I love how this feels like a version of the song if Coldplay went fully into the whole "alien/other planet" sounds. The bassline is super fun and Daft Punk-esque. And how about those cowbell sounds at 1:34! Is this something I'm going to listen to all the time or more than the studio version? Probably not & my only big criticism is there isn't a major mix up in the bass groove from like 1-minute into the song to the end. I think it could have used some other breakdown because it gets a bit tired by the end.

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 1

Just returned from the official video of "My Universe" on YouTube... I avoided the song till now because I had this idea it would be neat not to know all the song's leading up to the album's release but I had a rough day today, noticed it was airing like 30 minutes after I had logged on so I waited for the premier and gave the song and the music video my time. 

My first impression is that I liked it. In the album teaser they played the ending bit of this song... so my expectation was this song would launch with that theme. It made me very puzzled because I truly liked that bit and it didn't play much.

I'm very interested in looking up the translations for what was said in Korean (I believe), the visuals were nice however I was a bit lost on the narrative. Think a space-ship wanted to take away their joy of music?? Unsure.

Need to give it more plays but so far, it's a decent song. Might not be my favorite on this album but who knows. 

Edited by TealAppeal
  • Like 2

Myloverse confirmed! We have Silencers banning music across the spheres! Also is a nice touch including some of the Spheres (Floris, Calypso and Supersolis) for the video plot.

I'm enjoying this spacy concept and is pretty cool that is related to MX background story. The music video has great visuals and photography similar to HP what I think it extends perfectly the album concept and I hope we'll see it throughout the singles to build a whole story.

Btw the outro part makes more sense in the music video ?.

Overall I'm loving this new era and its concept!

Edited by eddmen
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TealAppeal said:

Just returned from the official video of "My Universe" on YouTube... I avoided the song till now because I had this idea it would be neat not to know all the song's leading up to the album's release but I had a rough day today, noticed it was airing like 30 minutes after I had logged on so I waited for the premier and gave the song and the music video my time. 

My first impression is that I liked it. In the album teaser they played the ending bit of this song... so my expectation was this song would launch with that theme. It made me very puzzled because I truly liked that bit and it didn't play much.

I'm very interested in looking up the translations for what was said in Korean (I believe), the visuals were nice however I was a bit lost on the narrative. Think a space-ship wanted to take away their joy of music?? Unsure.

Need to give it more plays but so far, it's a decent song. Might not be my favorite on this album but who knows. 

Yup, seems to be related to MX narrative where we had Sparkers fighting against Major Minus and the Silencers ?

• Like 1

As someone who loves the Mylo era, having what's possibly a continuation of its universe (lol) is so exciting!!!

I mean, the Mylo Xyloto comics opened up the possibilities of more silencers existing and for someone to return...

With that being said, will Silencia be one of the planets in Vol. 2?  That would be a really cool easter egg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:19 PM, ToniMoreno said:

Hi! Have you recived the CD sigles? Ihavent recived mines yet.

I´m a little dissapointed (with High Power was the same) becasue I think that if you have ordered something in preorder, they should recive it tha day of it comes out to sale... 

In the other hand, I think they should include some extra songs in the C D singles as in the past. The instrumental or acoustic versions don´t "contribute" very much to music. Maybe in other type of songs, but with this electronic songs it doesnt make sense. In fact the vocals are the same as someone said.

About the remix I prefer not so said nothing xD

Still waiting the CDs singles to come... ? 

• stephen changed the title to Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic