✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres

7 hours ago, Nature said:

Still dont like this song, it feels like nothing happens, also the lyrics are Just bad.

...nothing happens?

1 min long orchestral overture + lullaby-esque piano melodies - striking arpeggios layered over harps and strings + a great slow rock orchestral buildup + emotionally cathartic choruses + beautiful and minimalistic glockenspiel and string melodies + a 5/4 time signature + a David Gilmour-esque guitar solo + woah-oh-ohs (x4) + an ending coda = nothing?

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Nature said:

Still dont like this song, it feels like nothing happens, also the lyrics are Just bad.

...nothing happens?

1 min long orchestral overture + lullaby-esque piano melodies - striking arpeggios layered over harps and strings + a great slow rock orchestral buildup + emotionally cathartic choruses + beautiful and minimalistic glockenspiel and string melodies + a 5/4 time signature + a David Gilmour-esque guitar solo + woah-oh-ohs (x4) + an ending coda = nothing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, beastwars said:

It's intended to be that way, a little dissonant but organic

Yes, I'm using the word "mistake" loosely. It's more that there's 2 guitar tracks on top of each other, and you'd normally expect them to be the same so the fact that they're not implies either a mistake or something intentional. My GUESS is that Jonny meant to make them identical, made a mistake on 1, but he or the band chose to keep both. But I agree - dissonant and organic in a cool way. The live version loses that dissonance but obv still sounds good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post this here, since it's specifically about Coloratura.

A thought occured to me, which led me to listen to Ghost Stories front to back for the first time in a year or so and my conclusion is bold but also correct (for me)

I would take Jonny's guitar on this one song, not just what he's playing but also how it is mixed and how loud it is relative to everything else, over everything he plays  on Ghost Stories, taken as a whole. 

Which is incredible to me because, as great as he is on it, the stand out features on the song are really Chris' piano playing, the lyrics and the soundscapes in general (synth and violin). Just everything coming together.

Wondering if people will think this is unfair because it might be their best song and also it's ten minutes long but it's not even a quarter of the length of Ghost Stories. :thinking:

This song still blows me away with every listen. 

• Like 1

• stephen changed the title to Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
  • 2 years later...