✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 07 - People of the Pride | Music of the Spheres | Music Video Out Now!

Coeurli

Wow... The Man Who Swears lives on.

Sounds like something off of AROBTTH. One I Love. A Muse song. Yet it has Viva-era lyrics and similar vibes to Trouble In Town and Guns. I'm probably gonna have this one on repeat. I doubt the studio version will beat Coloratura, but this is definitely my second favorite of the new songs.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, shred said:

Anyone has a clip/snippet to The Man Who Swears? I’m late to the party and never heard of it. Ha! Curious to know how it compares to this. 

Here's the demo of the Man Who Swears: 

It seems that most of the lyrics from the first verse are retained or slightly changed (but I'm pretty sure he's not --> unbelievers will be shot) and the second verse's lyric and melodies, including the incredibly Viva-esque lyric "Heaven is a fire escape you try to cling to in the dark". I don't know if it carries over but Chris' little do-do-dos are mimicked in People of the Pride by Jonny's Guitar in the last few measures.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Here's the demo of the Man Who Swears: 

It seems that most of the lyrics from the first verse are retained or slightly changed (but I'm pretty sure he's not --> unbelievers will be shot) and the second verse's lyric and melodies, including the incredibly Viva-esque lyric "Heaven is a fire escape you try to cling to in the dark". I don't know if it carries over but Chris' little do-do-dos are mimicked in People of the Pride by Jonny's Guitar in the last few measures.

Something very interesting to note is that according to the excerpts from Chris's notes in the pop-up edition of Mylo Xyloto, lyrics from The Man Who Swears are listed under the title Major Minus. It's on the seventh image here: https://www.coldplayzone.it/album/i-retroscena-di-mylo-xyloto

And there are lyrical similarities between both The Man Who Swears and the finished version of Major Minus, as well as People of the Pride. There's an underlying theme about an egotistical villain in a story about a revolution. So this is actually the second song to come from The Man Who Swears, rather than the first.

• Like 4
  • Wow 4

26 minutes ago, 42Escapist said:

Something very interesting to note is that according to the excerpts from Chris's notes in the pop-up edition of Mylo Xyloto, lyrics from The Man Who Swears are listed under the title Major Minus. It's on the seventh image here: https://www.coldplayzone.it/album/i-retroscena-di-mylo-xyloto

And there are lyrical similarities between both The Man Who Swears and the finished version of Major Minus, as well as People of the Pride. There's an underlying theme about an egotistical villain in a story about a revolution. So this is actually the second song to come from The Man Who Swears, rather than the first.

Viva La Blueprint, their best album for a reason ?

• Like 5

Interesting they dig into Viva era... And More interesting they decided to take The Man Who Swears... I personally liked the lyrics of that demo, but never thought it would made it after 12+ years! I haven't listened to it, but the hype is killing me lol. My expectations are high based on the snippet from Overtura, we're almost there to hear the whole thing ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, harrisonrules said:

The single after My Universe will most likely be Let Somebody Go especially if Selena Gomez is on it. 

hopefully people of the pride will randomly go viral before that can happen ?

love selena though, the guitar in the ending of this song reminds me of parachutes, if coldplay ever do reggaeton i hope it's a track like this one

• Love 1
  • Angry 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, harrisonrules said:

Zero percent POTP becomes single 

True but then I wouldn't have thought Arabesque would have been released as a single either. They might release it as a ode to fans like they did with Coloratura. 

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that anything is possible now with the band. Haha!

Edited by shred
  • Love 1

I wouldn't say there's zero percent probability of this being a single. This song exists and is on the album, so there already is more chance than that. As I wrote before "if someone gave it a chance", it could be quite interesting as single. Definitely it would stand out more than some ballad or another synth pop song. Especially if they promote it smartly with a great video. I think it's more about their record label in this case, if they want to let Coldplay have such single, because for record label with each album Coldplay is a certain kind of product, which they try to put into certain box, but with this eclectic album it seems difficult.

It's unlikely that they choose this song for a single, but you never know as there is probably at least 2 singles coming from album still. Let's not forget, their label wanted to take Viva la Vida off the album at some point, but luckily it stayed. So I hope their record label has learned to be more brave and release, what's interesting and good.

After hearing the live version, I'm curious how folks think the song will be received for it's lyrical content/message. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers! 

Spoiler

First of all, I overall really like what we've heard from the live performance. While the riff might be a bit generic, I think the intro/bridge/guitar solo at the end give it awesome energy & I'm anxious to hear the studio version, especially since it's The Man Who Swears 14 years late! 

However, Coldplay tends to get a bit of guff when they have songs about "political" issues. Now celebrating Pride and LGBTQ+ inclusion isn't political imo, it's just accepting people and being proud of our diversity, which is wonderful. But also, most of the lyrics in the song aren't really related to LGBTQ+ issues... like it's a general revolution song about bad, corrupt people in power but then it throws in at the end "we'll all be free to fall in love with who we want" and that's it? It kind of reminds me of when Taylor said "shade never made anyone less gay," out of nowhere on You Need to Calm Down. I guess people can make of the song what they want, and most critics don't understand how long Coldplay has done LGBTQ+ advocacy at their live shows and how Chris has had parts of his life dealing with homophobia. But also, I'm just wondering if others think this could bite them?

• stephen changed the title to Track 07 - People of the Pride | Music of the Spheres | Music Video Out Now!
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic