✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 07 - People of the Pride | Music of the Spheres | Music Video Out Now!

Coeurli

Long time ago I really loved a song of Coldplay at first impression (ex. Arabesque and Coloratura maybe). This is really stunning and my dreams come true now this Viva-demo finally makes its birth. I love the way how they performed this track, so convincing and dedicated. But what I admire the most, is that they don't seem to be afraid to strive again for hard-rock. It reminds me of AROBTTH, X&Y and Viva at the same time. And having said that, I'm smiling and can't wait to hear the studio version!!

ps. Am I the only one who thinks Jonny's riff is quite reminiscent to the bassline in Arabesque???

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jaes said:

I am a bit disappointed. I mean, this song is good, but it could have been so much better.

Yeah for sure, this song haven't reached its full potential imo.

I think the lyrics and instrumentals are both very strong, but the production is kinda weird. I like the intro but when it goes to the verses, I didn't get that energetic vibe I got from the live version, where it's so convincing sung. It feels as if Chris is playing with an autotune mic oslt and is totally exhausted to sing (this could be intentional, but idk why?) I miss some emotion. When he yells 'rags' , I finally felt some urge again, let me more believe. It reminds me a bit of the studio version of Talk, very modest comparing to the live version. Anyway, the horn-bridge felt quite flat too and then the build-up verse is already a better part. The ending sounds very lovely, but also missed a last touch.

A lot of criticism haha, but I very care about this song. Still one of my favourites❤️

Well, having not heard the live leaks, it felt almost surreal hearing "The Man Who Swears" lyrics out of nowhere. It was just about the most unexpected thing about the entire album (aside from Coloratura of course). Even just hearing the "heaven is a fire escape" lyric in a finished song brought a massive smile to my face. However on the whole I don't feel the song is that great, the heavy guitar "chorus" section sounds like its out of a truck commercial or something, it's dreadful. The best part is the horn section in the last third of the song. "The Man Who Swears" deserved better.

• Like 2

So this is what became of The Man Who Swears - knew I recognised some of the lyrics! I really like the riff, I didn't think the band would turn around and write a glam-rock stomper of a song on an album like MOTS. Definitely into it.

• Like 2

I like it...it is about time CP rocks again.  It gets me head bobbing which is a good thing.  Could the lyrics have been better, maybe but it is certainly as step in the right direction.  They need a song like this on every album.  More song like this, Politik and God Put a Smile on Your Face.

• Like 2

Now this song :dazzled:  :awesome: 

Wait til you experience it live, I guarantee you will change your mind :laugh3: I was lucky to experience it when I saw them at Taratata and good lord it's wonderful. Such a different song from what they usually do and it's so cool to see The Man Who Swears finished. The horns are a wonderful addition as well. Muse now irrelevant :awesome: 

• Like 1

People are saying this song could be better. How so?

Not saying that it's perfect in any way but just wondering what could be added to make it better. I love it the way it is. This just shouldn't be on this album - it doesn't fit at all.

Edited by shred

Having not liked it first few listens, this song is quickly becoming my favourite on the album 

sounds soooo much better on a huge sound system 

Plus you can tell it was written 10 years ago

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

• stephen changed the title to Track 07 - People of the Pride | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you guys like it?

I think they could have done so much more with it, I would have loved if they had a story during the animation bits, maybe of the people rising up against the government using love and colour like MX. It feels a bit lazy to me that they just cut together some animation loops and live footage.

I actually do really like the video!

It's a confusing one, you can tell they simply did not want to make a choice between animation and live performance.

But I do like the fact that it doesn't rely too much on the animation, while the animation does bring something interesting to the video. I am on board with this best of both worlds version 😅

I do feel that it's too messy, with too many brutal cuts, and also that the live performance itself that they took shots from, could have felt wilder/with more energy - but i guess they did with what they had for the footage. They did not exactly filmed all those performances last fall anyway.

• stephen changed the title to Track 07 - People of the Pride | Music of the Spheres | Music Video Out Now!
1 hour ago, Coeurli said:

I do feel that it's too messy, with too many brutal cuts, and also that the live performance itself that they took shots from, could have felt wilder/with more energy - but i guess they did with what they had for the footage.

I'd have to agree.

Wish there were better transitions between the raw/real world footage and the sci-fi dystopian animation. Like a dissolve of a television static or something.

The lion robot was well designed, I also liked the scene with the kids listening to a record.

So far it's my favorite music video from this era. Cannot wait to hear this live and see more of this animation being repeated on the screens over the stage.

I like the live parts of the video. As for the animation, I agree it feels a little bit low effort and sometimes the cuts don't fit the lyrics (e.g. Chris talks about the sowing up of raaaaaags into revolution flaags, but the army of the oppressor is shown marching at that moment)

The video makes sense as a promo for their tour. It seems like this is a good attempt to pull in "rock" fans of Coldplay who may not have liked the rest of the record. I can kind of identify with that, to be honest -- if they were touring near me (which they aren't at the moment) I'd really want to know how the setlist differs from AHFOD tour because I'm not in love with all the new songs outside Coloratura. But this song looks cool live and could be a highpoint of the show. 

I also appreciate the live-mixing in this video, it sounds better than the studio version and I think 100% of fans agree at this point the production should have been better on the album. Overall I hope we get more story out of this era. The kids dancing inside reminds me of "I got my records on, I shut the world outside until the lights come on"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

The kids dancing inside reminds me of "I got my records on, I shut the world outside until the lights come on"

Superb observation; reading your thoughts put a smile on my face, thanks. I now hope that's canonical for that segment of animation.

A more story-driven tour would be neat. I just noticed in this music video they have more visuals to remind the audience music is being banned in the MotS universe.. alike how it was seen in the 'My Universe' music video. I'm not sure if they have other running themes but I'll try to keep my eyes open.

I'm excited to see this tour because my Father (who I've been desired to share a Coldplay concert experience with for years now... but denied each time) he finally agreed to go so I wouldn't be left with a empty seat next to me.

I have great admiration for him, he introduced me to music and the love for music at an early age and I'm overjoyed that though Coldplay does their own thing.. I sense some inspiration from other classic musical legends and that rich sound. I'm often on cloud-nine just envisioning how incredible It'll be when they play "Colorauta" live. I hope we both get a little tearful. :,)

I will say I was more conservative with spending... in 2016 I got over-priced tickets and my tired-from-work husband who accompanied me; this year I'll be accompanied by my baby-boomer, retired-from-work Father and our seating is much father away from the action.

I'm curious how the sustainability of this tour will do but I'm just looking to have a fun evening above all else.

Edited by TealAppeal
Spelling
  • Like 2

So glad you'll be able to see a show with your father, TealAppeal! I think no matter where your seats are, you're going to have a wonderful time! 

And haha I take it back, I ran away, 99% of fans prefer the live version... but obviously I joke.😂I don't actually know how many folks have preference or if people even care. I'm glad you enjoy the studio version, I mostly do to but am fan of distorted rock music so I wish the guitar had more oomph, but it's a style choice for sure! 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, nowayme said:

It also came to my attention that it samples Beyonce's "I'm a woman" Interlude, check from 55:48 to 56:54:

Yes! Chris mentioned that they heard this interlude at a Beyonce concert, until now I didn't know which one it was though.