✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🌕 Coldplay: Moon Music 🌕 | Music of the Spheres vol ii | Discussion

Doomotron

• Administrators
8 hours ago, dxm3557 said:

This forum is so ancient and that's why I love it. Seeing old, old fans here after all this time always baffles me. I hope this forum stands the test of time, even with its good and bad days, it's a gem of the internet as it was practically formed around the Parachutes Era.

Now, I've been a massive fan since 2009 (I use to say they're my religion lol) and even though I'm a sucker for the Parachutes — Viva la Vida period, I still love them and listen to regularly everything they put out, from Major Minus to Something Just Like This, and Arabesque to X Marks the Spot cause even their pop stuff stand out from the other pop acts in the musical industry currently. 

Also, they're still a rock band, as it encompasses 80% of their discography. What they do is usually experimenting with pop and even on that you can still find rock elements here and there. What I basically want to say is: please don't give up on them lol 

Times have changed, internet forums have basically died except for the massive ones. I have no plans to sunset the website though, coldplaying.com will be around for as long as I can keep it going!

• Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

Seems like Aeterna, which was performed in Sao Paulo yesterday, is a new Coldplay material indeed. Seems like not the full track was played though, but in my opinion it's quite similar to Infinity Sign, sounds more disco and more like a song, but still not like a real song, more like an interlude type of thing. Aeterna in Latin means eternal, so there seems to be a little connection maybe to Infinity Sign. Anyway, it sounds like a very memorable tune, at least short term and I liked the sound, so waiting to hear it in full glory on Moon Music.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Setlist have confirmed the name to be Aeterna, though I wonder if what they played is a remix of the actual track. Perhaps Supernova 7 makes its return? Either way loving the new track, Guy and Jonny sound amazing on it.

EDIT: Will confirmed in a twitter Q&A that live performance of Aeterna was not a remix, but an excerpt of the full song.

Edited by Holocene
  • Like 2

Aeterna is an interesting taste of Moon Music... Now that it's confirmed to be a direct exerpt of the full song, I have a few thoughts: 

• Seems to continue the general sound of MOTS -- punchy repeated bass line, synths in background, guitar is more of a seasoning vs. a full on flavor but perhaps more lowkey -- maybe an album with the energy of Ghost Stories but a bit more dancey?
  • The melody is quite disco-y, which seems to line up with rumors of the band collabing with Nile Rodgers, which gives me hope for better use of guitar on the album, but not holding my breath. 
  • It's suprisingly EDM sounding, and maybe my biggest criticism with the snippet is it feels a bit aged -- like a nu-edm with disco influene from the mid 2010's. Sure it's relatively catchy, but I don't find the beat to be as compelling as a lot of other bands/groups making disco-esque songs right now.
  • Are those strings at the end??? It kind of gave me an Everyday Life/Coloratura vibe and I hope the full song has more strings. 
  • Like 1

It reminds me of 2010s Bloc Party electronic songs like Ion Square, One More Chance, Your Visits Are Getting Shorter and Flux. Songs I like a lot, so hopefully Aeterna's final release will sound a bit like them. I can't say for now as the uploads are too low quality unless someone's found a high quality upload I haven't heard.

Chris had a meeting with Love Button volunteers a few hours ago and he told some details about Moon Music: Aeterna was described as a short song and Jupiter is more "pride" than People of the Pride. The people who met them are part of Viva Coldplay on Twitter and also said there's a song with "Alien Radio" and "Alien" + something else on the title, but they were too stunned to remember. Additionally, Chris told them the title of Vol. 3 (it has the word "Home" in it) and that Moon Music will have nine songs, but more could be added.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Based off Aeterna alone, I think Moon Music might be something like their own spin of The Weeknd's Dawn FM, which in turn is an amazing album and also produced by Max Martin. Anyway... I'm curious about Vol. 3 now, I mean, if the self-titled album is the back to basics one, what would "Home" be?

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gustavothehuman said:

Based off Aeterna alone, I think Moon Music might be something like their own spin of The Weeknd's Dawn FM, which in turn is an amazing album and also produced by Max Martin. Anyway... I'm curious about Vol. 3 now, I mean, if the self-titled album is the back to basics one, what would "Home" be?

The Musical Album?

Another new song from Moon Music, titled One World, performed for the final night of Sao Paulo. Crowd was recorded as backing vocals (?) for the studio track in a very Jacob Collier style.

Personally not feeling this one due to the repetitiveness and lacklustre instrumental. Hopefully the studio track will have more to it.

10 hours ago, Holocene said:

Another new song from Moon Music, titled One World, performed for the final night of Sao Paulo. Crowd was recorded as backing vocals (?) for the studio track in a very Jacob Collier style.

Personally not feeling this one due to the repetitiveness and lacklustre instrumental. Hopefully the studio track will have more to it.

I thought the instrumental was very pretty, actually. The lyrics are essentially two lines but someone said on Twitter it reminds them of a mantra (like Chinese Sleep Chant), so if they are going for that I love it even more.

• Like 3
  • Care 1

10 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

I thought the instrumental was very pretty, actually. The lyrics are essentially two lines but someone said on Twitter it reminds them of a mantra (like Chinese Sleep Chant), so if they are going for that I love it even more.

That does put the lyrics in a different light for me and, unlike CSC, One World doesn't currently have the benefits of vocal layering and effects. I fully expect my opinion to shift heavily in future, especially as we get cleaner recordings / the final mix.

Edited by Holocene
  • Like 2

One World is very pretty indeed, in my opinion it mixes something from When I need a Friend and Sunrise + some mantra style stuff from Chinese Sleep Chant. Potentially one of the most ethereal things Coldplay has done. Difficult to say what will be the actual structure of the song, the aim of playing it seemed to be just to get the recording of the audience, so I would avoid judging it for now. Final product might be something different, considering they can still work on things for at least a few months until they reach recording 1 million people. It might be they played it pretty much like it will be, but it might not. Could be just the ending of a long song - really hoping for it to be some epic beautiful track.

Mainly I hope we are not wrong assuming that it will be on Moon Music, in speech Chris never said on which album it will be. 😄 

• Like 1

I'm personally enthralled with One World so far, espescially when compared to the MOTS era so far. The intro is really nice and I know some folks are ho hum about the first minute but I feel like its soft, intimate and meditative -- the piano and guitar licks sound great and feel inspired by "What A Beautiful World." I don't know why but it gives me Oldplay vibes. The "oneee" idea of a million people from around the world is awesome & feels inspired by Jacob Collier's Moon River https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPLCk-FTVvw. But what I love the most is the strings. They're incredible bittersweet in the same way Sunrise is but I think feel much more massive and cinematic, which is fitting for a space album whereas everyday life was more small-scale. I just think the way the track progresses with the omms from the band into that huge swell is one of the most beautiful things they've ever done. It hit me emotionally the same way my first listen to Coloratura and Sunrise did. 

In sum I'm feeling even more optimistic for Moon Music now. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping for when we were doing Volume I speculation. If this is the closer with strings, then hopefully there'll be strings throughout the album. If you're making a space-themed album go big right? I felt so many songs on MOTS Volume I felt ironically small because the production was dumbed down. Hopefully they correct that.

• Like 2

I haven't listened to it yet but its performance brings up the number of possible MOTS2 songs to at least three.

• One World
  • A Wave
  • Aeterna
  • The Astronaut (maybe?)

Also keeping hopes up for The Race but I know it's a pipe dream... Either way, these four songs seem to have had a very positive reception individually, but whether they work as an album is up for debate.

A Wave is produced in a similar way to Aeterna but could only work if they were far apart. Aeterna directly into A Wave would be horrible. If The Astronaut is included (I know it's debatable but my previous comments about the timing of its performance still stand; it may be more than a coincidence), it could be a good song to come right before the end. Therefore, here is my predicted track list based on the four possible songs now:

One World

Aeterna

The Astronaut

A Wave

The Race (hidden track)

The Race (Ghost Stories Version) (hidden track)

A Ghost (hidden track)

My though process behind One World's placement is under the assumption it's a bit like Human Heart. Again, I haven't heard it yet so I can't make a final judgement. Aeterna would be the introduction to the second half in my mind.

And yes, the hidden tracks are a joke... Even if I wish it came true...

PS: I went to edit the name of a previous MOTS2 thread I'd made but apparently I made this thread. Did admins change the name?

Aeterna is iconic, wish it would be a full length track but we'll settle for about 1:40 i guess... I don't expect the studio version to be as awesome as the live version though. One of my favourite elements is the super loud bass, which Guy just plays over the track so it's safe to assume the studio version isn't as funky alas.

One World's instrumentation is truly gorgeous, hauntingly beautiful. Sunrise is one of my all time favourite Coldplay songs so I am excited to hear the final result after all the recording and mixing is done!

Overall i assume Moon Music is gonna be the same style as MOTS. Secretly hoping they add a last minute song or something so it doesn't feel like an EP but we'll see!

:dance: 

• Like 3

It's so hard to say. The other whole part of this is that presumably there's a MOTS Volume III (maybe the musical)... Technically songs like One World or Robots could show up there as well. 

If they are truly trying to get 1 million people on One World, then it's going to take A LOT of concerts through next Fall to get that many audiences included, which would push out the release of the album until late this year, which seems like to big of a gap to me since they say said they are finishing it recently. 

Regardless, Aeterna and One World are great live teasers and I'm personally hungry for a single I can really vibe with -- maybe featuring Nile Rogers. The singles from Vol. 1 are fine enough but aren't Coldplay classics in my opinion. My Universe will be remembered for charting so high and the collaboration but the song itself isn't as iconic as ASFOS, Paradise, Yellow, VLV and I think Higher Power was uninentionally a flop.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lennyrott1 said:

I think Higher Power was uninentionally a flop.

Which is annoying, since I found it to be much better than My Universe (I don't think I'm alone on this), although the Supernova 7 Mix of My Universe was a tasty tune.

• Like 2

Which is annoying, since I found it to be much better than My Universe (I don't think I'm alone on this), although the Supernova 7 Mix of My Universe was a tasty tune.

Yeah. I don't know, I think HP feels like a promising Coldplay song that they rushed to production. There's so many elements of it that are really, really good but it could have been flushed out more. It feels like they had the verse & chorus worked out, a good bass and drumline and then just went for it without challenging themselves to make it extra interesting (guitar solo, switching the beat up, more interesting outro/intro). The remixes are a good point -- I agree. Supernova 7 remix is a good example of how more production & ideas makes the song more exciting. Even the SUGA remix has better guitar. 

I guess what I'm getting at is it'd be cool to have a big single on Moon Music that feels classy and interesting. It can still feel modern and poppy and new wave disco like MU or HP, but just a bit more finessing the lyrics and instrumentation so it feels as epic and catchy as a Paradise or AOAL.