✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jon Buckland's Sound

matt242

Just curious - how do you get the standard coldplay sound (Jon Buckland's sound)? I know you've got alot of delay there, but there seems to be alot of reverb or something that sounds like you are playing in a huge concert hall - seems like alot of echo there. Kind of a mello dronning sound.

I hear it alot in "Shiver"

Thanks!!

Well, during 'Shiver' Jonny used a Fender Twin Reverb amp and a Fender Jazzmaster guitar. He uses pedals like the Boss RV3 for reverb and the Boss DD5 for delay...while from AROBTTH onwards he started using the Line 6 Delay pedal. I love this pedal..it's the green line 6 pedal and its so easy to use too. (costs like £200). These days Jonny also uses outboard rack effects too - TC2290 Delay is a probable one as its used by so many other guitarists. He has a pre-amp now too...the MXR Micro. These add lots to the tone of the guitar and give an amazing crisp sparkle that sounds full and clear while adding extra sustain to your guitar. Good stuff.

The reverb that you describe as a 'drone' type sound is a mix between delay and a lengthy reverb time. I love the sound he got on We Never Change, it sounds great.

GazeboflossUK

Thanks for your help. Very informative. Actually, "We Never Change" is a better example of the sound I am talking about. I'm going to try a digital reverb pedal. I've got a typical "Edge" (U2) set-up (SDD-3000, BOSS, MXR Dynacomp, Line 6 Pod Pro). I'd like to get more of a "Jonny Buckland" type sound, though.

Thanks so much!!