✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Speed of Sound without copy protection?

thetao

Does a version of "Speed of Sound" exist anywhere without copy protection? (The Japanese version doesn't count. ;) )

I'm in the USA and received a copy of the US version last week as a gift. I unwrapped it, but didn't try playing it until that evening, at which point I noticed the anti-copy logo on the cover. I rushed to my computer to try it and...no CD...just some Windoze files. (I don't use Windoze.) I was really, really pi**ed that the record company finally managed to sneak one of these into my collection. I decided to return it by any means necessary. My friend still had the receipt and would mail it to me. She bought it at Borders Books. I like Borders, and so hated the idea of giving them a rough time, but a job is a job. A couple days later, the conversation went like this:

ME (to the lady at the cash register): hi, I'd like to either get a refund or a credit for this. It's copy protected and not worth the trouble of owning it. I received it as a gift and can't play it on my computer.

LADY (hestiates and calls the manager)

ME (to manager): hi, I'd like to either get a refund or a credit for this; it's copy protected and not worth the trouble of owning it. I received it as a gift and can't play it on my computer.

MANAGER (pausing): I'm sorry, we don't accept returns once they're unwrapped because it's used.

ME: but you accept returns of books all the time and they're not wrapped to begin with.

MANAGER (pausing): well, we have a return policy on the back of the receipt...

ME: like most other stores, I understand

MANAGER (pausing): there's the notion that you may have copied it

ME: but you do see the irony in suggesting I may have copied it, when the disk CONTAINS COPY PROTECTION, which in this case cripples it and is the sole reason why I'm returning it??

They gave me a store credit for $7.41, which is amazing, considering I paid $9.99 for the full X&Y CD. :D

I never did try copying it. I only listened to 3 seconds of "Speed of Sound" to make sure it would play on my regular CD player. So...is is possible to buy a clean copy somewhere, or should I just download the mp3's and pray that Capitol Records goes out of business?

Thanks (it felt good to vent!),

Todd

Mine skipped like crazy. :/ I finally got the thing to play right through after many trys and put it on my hard drive and then using Windows Media Player burned it onto a blank CD. The quality is no where near as good though. So my original sits in the case, while I have to play the pour quality version on the car stereo..because the original skips on it too. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it exists, but I can tell you how to get around it.

Get a Mac. The copy protection is coded only for Windows. I too was disappointed when I tried to copy X & Y to my iTunes library, but we got a new iMac days afterwards, and the CD imported fine there.