✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who are you ROOting for?

Julie

Wayne Rooney won't hurt us! Bayern claim they're not scared of Manchester United striker

By IAN LADYMAN Northern Football Correspondent, reporting from Munich

Last updated at 11:51 PMarticle-0-08CF601A000005DC-45_468x311.jpg on 29th March 2010

Comments (0)

Add to My Stories

Wayne Rooney is fit to lead Manchester United's attack here on Tuesday night, but Bayern Munich claim they are not scared of the in-form England striker.

Instead, Dutch coach Louis Van Gaal said: 'I never have fear and my players don't have any fear either. We value Rooney's quality. He is a super footballer.

'When he was younger, I often wondered whether he had the vision in his game. He has developed that now and is very hard to mark out of the game. But we can manage because we also have quality. Ferguson and his players should be scared of that.'

We're not scared of Roo! Van Gaal is confident his side can keep the United star quiet

Sir Alex Ferguson today begins a defining week in United's season by warning his players that one mistake could finish them.

United face Bayern tonight in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final before hosting Chelsea in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday and the Germans again tomorrow week.

Ferguson said: 'We are in our best form now and I think it's a massive week for us. You have to enjoy it and at the same time know it's crucial. A mistake and it's trouble.'

Rooney and Rio Ferdinand are fit for tonight's game in the Allianz Arena, while Bayern have doubts over wide men Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.

Injury doubt: Robben could miss the first leg against United with a calf problem

Ferguson added: 'The return of Vidic and Ferdinand to keep our back four solid is significant. Along with Edwin van der Sar there was a time when all those players were injured. It wasn't easy and we were very fragile.

'But you can see the solidity now. You can see the experience of these players and it is making a massive difference to the performances of the team. It is a true saying: strong at the back, strong as a team.'

Ferguson also took the chance to defend Nemanja Vidic against a suggestion by Bolton manager Owen Coyle that the Serb centre half deliberately elbowed Johan Elmander during United's 4-0 win at the Reebok.

The United manager said: 'What's the story about those in glass houses? Vidic came in at half-time with a lump on his head, a swollen jaw and a black eye.

'It was clear he had his eye on the ball, there was no intent whatsoever. That was the best performance from a centre back for years.'

More...

David De Gea holding out for dream move to Manchester United after turning down Wigan

Sir Alex Ferguson defends article-0-08EB21C0000005DC-141_468x311.jpg Vidic and insists his Manchester United stopper was roughed up against Bolton

Bayern ready to ditch man-marking tactics as they try cope with Rooney

Mike Dean to take charge of Premier League title showdown between Manchester United and Chelsea

MANCHESTER UNITED FC NEWS FROM ACROSS THE WEB

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1262148/Wayne-Rooney-wont-hurt-Bayern-claim-theyre-scared-Manchester-United-striker.html#ixzz0jchgVt8G