✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Best Cameras for Coldplay concerts? - Please help!!

LukesterPlay

Sorry if this is the wrong part/section of the forum to post this thread in, but I found (and posted in) a thread about cell phones/cameras at concerts, so thought I would post my thread about a similar subject in this section too!

Anyway, I'm looking for the best ideal camera for taking to a Coldplay concert for recording video with great quality sound that doesn't get ruined by the massive drum/bass vibrations and one that doesn't cost well over £100 if possible? haha!

I'm going to be seeing Coldplay again on 9th June at the Manchester Eithad Stadium, of which will be my first time seeing them in concert at a stadium! :o previously seen them for the first time at the Glasgow SECC on 3rd December, and used mainly my iPod to record 'HD' videos of the concert...

But well at worst what I got was a 'badly remixed dupstep massacre' of Viva La Vida...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNmMsrsE0oM]Coldplay - Viva La Vida (Glasgow SECC - 03.12.2011) HD - YouTube[/ame]

:stunned: although about the first minute the sound quality is pretty amazing! :)

A fairly good example would be my video of the opening/Mylo Xyloto intro + Hurts Like Heaven:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-E8E-O39Fc]Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto Intro + Hurts Like Heaven (Glasgow SECC - 03.12.2011) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Still not exactly 'amazing' but much better on the ears than Viva La Vida was! although saying that, all the flashing light boxes at the start caused havoc with the picture and about blinded me :angry: haha!

I also took my Kodak EasyShare C195 digital camera along for taking a few pictures and as a backup video camera too! of which I needed it when my iPod decided to run out of free space after Viva La Vida D: so I was able to record bits of the last songs with it, but never got around to uploading them to YouTube too!

I don't have any examples of video/sound from that camera, but can say that there wasn't as much sound interference with the drum/bass vibrations as on Viva La Vida anyway! but there was still a slight sound glitch/blip and the sound seems a bit quieter too, so either this camera or my iPod probably won't be a great idea for taking again to record any videos :/

So yeah anyway, does anyone know of any good/affordable cameras out there digital stereo sound recording if possible! as I have less than a week until I see Coldplay and would love to try and get a camera that I know I'll be able to get some overall great sounding videos for once :) I've seen a lot of YouTube videos where they sound pretty amazing if I'm honest :shocked2: but anyone I've tried sending a message to asking about their camera, never replied :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated please :)

Hmm do you have any ideas of makes/models? I tried looking up cameras for concerts but don't seem to be getting anywhere yet! any that I have found look more like professional cameras that will most likely not be allowed into a concert :/ and that cost well over £100-200 too, so I'd rather not risk spending all that and have the camera be taken off me :|

Even any 'compact' cameras I found look like they have a lens bigger than any compact/digital camera I've seen haha!

Hmm do you have any ideas of makes/models? I tried looking up cameras for concerts but don't seem to be getting anywhere yet! any that I have found look more like professional cameras that will most likely not be allowed into a concert :/ and that cost well over £100-200 too, so I'd rather not risk spending all that and have the camera be taken off me :|

Even any 'compact' cameras I found look like they have a lens bigger than any compact/digital camera I've seen haha!

I've been using a Panasonic Lumix with 12X zoom (they now have 21 zoom) that takes videos in HD. It's over 2 years old so I think the newer ones are better. I paid $200 in US dollars. Here is one I took of them in April.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7S86R1BHHc&list=UUxGx5Zc57VCsK4L66jgandg&index=1&feature=plcp]Coldplay performs Fix You, San Jose, April 27, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

I'll see them again at the end of this month and wish I could afford a new camera, but the Panasonic will have to do. Maybe I'll give the Sony a try. (FYI - I was not close to the stage either.)

Does anyone know if those Flip Ultra HD pocket/handheld camcorders are any good for concerts or not?

My Article On Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V[/url]

I'd highly recommend the Sony HX20V - I've shot quite a few shows in the past few weeks with it and it is awesome.

Jason

Wow thats weird, I've actually already found and looked at your article about that camera the other day when doing one of many Google searches! :o

The fact it has digital stereo sound recording rather than mono like most cameras, already makes it seem a lot better for getting good audio! or well going by the 'stereo' part I see on top of those cameras, so I'm not sure if thats for audio recording, or for audio playback? :embarrassed:

Without sounding like a cheapskate, I think its a bit out of my price range for rushing out at last minute to get a new/better camera for the concert :/ plus I don't want to spend more on a camera alone, than I've already spent for the ticket and couple of nights at a hotel haha!

I do understand that if you want a good camera like those, you have to be willing to pay a lot of money for one.

I've been using a Panasonic Lumix with 12X zoom (they now have 21 zoom) that takes videos in HD. It's over 2 years old so I think the newer ones are better. I paid $200 in US dollars. Here is one I took of them in April.

Coldplay performs Fix You, San Jose, April 27, 2012 - YouTube

I'll see them again at the end of this month and wish I could afford a new camera, but the Panasonic will have to do. Maybe I'll give the Sony a try. (FYI - I was not close to the stage either.)

Thats a pretty amazing video of Fix You that you were able to record :D even from what looked like a good distance away from the stage, you were able to zoom in and get a pretty close up view on them all! :o

I was interested by a couple of Samsung cameras in Argos, but this one seems like the better option maybe?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597219/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CDigital+compact+cameras%7C14419442.htm

I'm not sure if it has stereo sound recording or not, but it looks like it has two slots/holes spaced apart on top of the camera that may be the microphones? then 4 little slots next to each other that might be for video/audio playback?

Thank you both for the replies btw :) I appreciate the help and any further help too! :p

My Article On Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V[/url]

I'd highly recommend the Sony HX20V - I've shot quite a few shows in the past few weeks with it and it is awesome.

Jason

My Sony HX20 arrived today from amazon. Couldn't believe I got it so fast with free shipping. AnywAy, I'm playing around with it and had a couple of questions:

1. What setting do you use for pics? I currently use the sports setting with my Panasonic but it still blurs quite a bit when zooming. I believe you said ou used an automatic setting, nt this camera has two - intelligent auto & superior auto.

2. Do you adjust ISO, white balance, EV?

3. When taking videos, which I take a lot, is there anything special you would advise?

Thanks for all your help.

My Sony HX20 arrived today from amazon. Couldn't believe I got it so fast with free shipping. AnywAy, I'm playing around with it and had a couple of questions:

1. What setting do you use for pics? I currently use the sports setting with my Panasonic but it still blurs quite a bit when zooming. I believe you said ou used an automatic setting, nt this camera has two - intelligent auto & superior auto.

2. Do you adjust ISO, white balance, EV?

3. When taking videos, which I take a lot, is there anything special you would advise?

Thanks for all your help.

Awesome - you will love it!

Honestly, I've found that just putting it on full auto (the green setting) is the best way to go.

I record photos and videos at the highest resolutions...

I put tracking focus on...

Video AVCHD format...

AF Alluminator - Off

Grid Line - Off

Clear Image Zoom - On

Digital Zoom - On (but never cross that "line" in zooming, as it doesn't look good - but just in case there is some special shot, leave it on)

Wind Noise Reduction - On

Micref Level - Normal

Red Eye Reduction - Off

Blink Alert - Off

Write Date - Off

Expanded Focus - On

Disp Resolution - High

Beep - Off

Panel Brightness - 1 (Dark)

I also leave GPS off (I know where I am LOL).

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Jason

P.S. Also be sure to put the shutter button down half way on your subject, to focus, before starting to record video. Also, you can do this while filming to reset focus on the same or different subject.

P.P. S. Also make sure you but AT LEAST ONE extra battery. Twice I've accidentally turned this thing on in it's case, and arrived at a venue with a spent battery (they made the on/off button to high in the latest version of this camera).

Very helpful thread. Thank you so much!

I'm not happy with my Panasonic Lumix dmc-tz20 for recording concerts, sound capture is awful.

Just bought the Sony. Pictures look great, seeing Lenny Kravitz tonight so I'll try recording. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Wow this thread really picked up a bit since my absence from the forums for about a week :o haha! In the end I picked up a new Samsung WB720 compact digital camera from Argos on Friday, the day I was leaving for Manchester, so only had time to sort it all when I got to the hotel!

Have to say its the best camera I've ever owned to date!! :D quite proud with the overall quality of pictures & videos I got for once, and the Dual IS mode along with the 18x optical zoom worked a treat for being able to zoom right in on the stage and still get some clear pictures, even during videos the zoom was really great and didn't affect the sound quality!

Here's my playlist of all the videos I recorded during Coldplay's Manchester Eithad Stadium concert on 9th June, if you check ones like Up In Flames or Viva La Vida and compare with the ones I first posted in this thread, you'll see a massive difference in sound quality! for a start you can hear the drum beats really well in Up In Flames, and can even hear the Viva La Vida bell that Will hits :)

Thanks for this thread.. I have been looking to get a new camera before my gig in September.. my iphone photos were rubbish last week. So this is EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you all so much!

No problem :) I was surprised to not see a lot of threads/posts about good cameras to use for Coldplay concerts, so when I made this thread at first I wasn't sure if it would go anywhere at all :o hopefully you'll be able to get yourself a good camera in time for September, especially as you've got a lot more time to find a good one, compared to me only having a matter of weeks/days really haha!

Very helpful thread. Thank you so much!

I'm not happy with my Panasonic Lumix dmc-tz20 for recording concerts, sound capture is awful.

Just bought the Sony. Pictures look great, seeing Lenny Kravitz tonight so I'll try recording. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Thank you too! :) and I hope your new Sony camera worked out for the Lenny Kravitz gig!