✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Live keyboards

hejiranyc

Hello one and all... newbie here.

Anyway, for my first post, I'd like to ask a question about a topic that has probably been discussed to death here previously. However, I'm too lazy to look it up.

What is the deal with the keyboards at Coldplay shows? I know Chris occasionally sits behind a keyboard (and Jonny seems to have a little keyboard as well), but it appears that 80% of the time the keyboards are clearly coming from another source- a hidden off-stage keyboardist? A pre-recorded track? A sample triggered by a foot pedal? In any case, as much as I've enjoyed the live shows, this is the one thing that really puts me off- the fact that there is no live keyboardist or some kind of acknowledgment that, yeah, we're all paying money to listen to pre-recorded tracks (not to mention the dubious authenticity of the live backup vocals). It's fundamentally dishonest any way you slice it. Why don't they utilize a live touring keyboardist who is present on the stage (like every other major touring band)? Considering the keyboard-heavy sound of "Midnight," I wonder how this will be addressed on the upcoming tour. Will they all just press a button and stand around whilst pretending to playing instruments against a backing track?