✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Evolution of the AHFOD Tour Rig

kylecoldplayer

So this thread is just going to be about the evolution of the rig you see in the AHFOD tour. I'll add photos when I can, so right now it will be mostly text. LET ME KNOW IF ANYTHING IS INCORRECT!!!!!!!

January 2016 - Coldplay reveals a prototype of the stage. It resembles a main stage shaped like the flower of life found on the art for AHFOD. Instead of a runway leading to the B stage, there are 2 curved stages with different lengths each with circular stages at the end. The longer runway also has a circular stage halfway down.

Latin American Leg - Rig features a main stage with a flower of life shaped riser (I have no idea what to call it) which has lighting fixtures attached to it. The rig also features a large screen behind the main stage, and a floral wall that moves up and down. There is a flower of life shaped cutout in the middle of the floral wall. There is 1 runway that leads to a circular B stage. Along the runway there are what Coldplay calls "stadium cannons" (the confetti cannons used during AHFOD the song and HFTW). The entire stage is outlined by lightstrips that appear to be glued to the stage (for the MX tour the strips were rolled out). There is also a C stage in the back. As for lighting, lots of "blinders" (they were turned on before the show, and were used at various points during the show) were on the spotlight/speaker towers and the area around the stage. On either side of the main stage there were 2 rectangular shaped screens with a spraypainted structure holding it up and bordering the stage. Oh and don't forget the Xylobands!

European Leg - The changes to the rig were minimal. The B stage now had a video screen instead of a standard stage floor. Instead of 2 rectangular screens next to the stage and the structure holding them up, these were replaced by flower of life shaped screens with spraypainted borders around then. Depending on the size of the venue, these screens may not be present, or there may be 2 screens, or in Wembley's case, 3 screens. Otherwise everything else remained the same, except someone kept insisting that different Xylobands were used for this leg. I know they had the Coldplay casing, but otherwise the Xylobands were identical.

United States Leg - Not many changes here. They did make the fan intros video that played before AHFOD played a bit shorter because there were too many clips and the concert needed to start. The Xylobands with the standard casing also returned for the Eastern US part of this leg. Some dates for the Western US part of the leg featured the multicolored Coldplay Xyloband casing. Not many differences here over the European leg.

October 2016 - Seating charts from some of the 2017 shows have a completely differently shaped stage. This is possible, but I remember the same thing happpening with the MX tour and it never happened. Let's not forget that even though Ticketmaster showed the stage design from January 2016 in the seating chart, we still got a different stage.

I WILL ADD PHOTOS AND POSSIBLY SOME SPOILERS TO CLEAN UP THIS THREAD SOON! IF THERE IS ANYTHING I SHOULD ADD, LET ME KNOW! JUST COMMENT BELOW!

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
nice post, any idea why the flower of life screens are on different angles depending what city they're playing in?

It's based on the venue. When they played at Wembley Stadium, they added 2 extra screens angled towards the catwalk so the audience can see everything. It's about the venue, not the city. A large venue that has a very wide floor space will have the screens angled more sharply or add 2 extra video screens, while a shorter floor space would have the screens angled less sharply or removed altogether (like with arena shows)

• Like 1