✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay doesn't have the thematic range...

Dejan

This exact same thread is on the official board :thinking:

it's a problem for you ? :angry:

lol to be honest Dejan, you're a bit of a prick aren't ya ... no offence :lol:

you start a thread asking people for their views then start getting angry with them when they say things you don't like ... so either accept their views or find another board to annoy people on! :angry:

U2 has released 11 studio albums. Countless live albums, movie soundtracks and have done some of the biggest tours ever seen.

Coldplay has 3 albums, one live album and one major tour. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about here, are you implying that Coldplay sound the same on every single album so far? To me, X&Y is completely different from Parachutes, which is completely different from ROBTTH. It's half the reason why I didn't like X&Y at first.

Well said an_cat. I don't really know much about U2 aside from The Joshua Tree (WTSHNN twenty years later sounds like it was made yesterday and is still as affecting as it ever was) but I think the two bands are on two completely different pages right now. They may be in the same book, or a book that both deal with the same kind of plot or subject, but I think U2 have passed the climax and are already nearing the end, and with Coldplay, the intrigue's only really just started. I can only hope that Coldplay will become as famous and varied as U2 has become in the last twenty years, but I have no doubt they will.

you start a thread asking people for their views then start getting angry with them when they say things you don't like ...

Coldplay is coldplay and U2 is U2 is just a dumb reply,i'm not angry with who's able to reply in an intelligent way.

I've quite liked reading the posts on this thread... Especially the long ones.. both for and against Coldplay (which let me state for the record IS my FAVOURITE BAND) :smug:

To me' date=' X&Y is completely different from Parachutes, which is completely different from ROBTTH. It's half the reason why I didn't like X&Y at first.[/quote']

Well said an_cat. I don't really know much about U2 aside from The Joshua Tree (WTSHNN twenty years later sounds like it was made yesterday and is still as affecting as it ever was) but I think the two bands are on two completely different pages right now... I can only hope that Coldplay will become as famous and varied as U2 has become in the last twenty years, but I have no doubt they will.

I don't know U2 too well. Only know their later songs (with the exception of Vertigo and maybe a few others). Have All That U Can't Leave Behind album and that's about it. They're good, but like Victaniac said, Coldplay are the ones that produce the music that really gets to me.

As for Coldplay, I'm not worried about whether they'll surpass U2 in terms of size... that looks certain given how fiercely they've moulded X&Y into a commercial album to capture the masses. They are certainly capable of it if they want to be. The only thing that concerns me is their ability/willingness for musical evolution... I felt a bit let down by X&Y because it did not expand / stretch the band musically as much as I would have liked... Maybe the band couldn't, or maybe they just wanted to be more commercial-sounding... but I think this is basically the point this thread was trying to make and what maybe Dejan is trying to say... That there're a small section of ardent CP fans out there who are still coming to grips with what could've / should've been with X&Y... A bit of a reality problem maybe, but we're definitely fans who're trying hard to convince ourselves that Coldplay is still worth all our time and emotional investment. I worry whether they'll produce anything as original as Parachutes ever again.

d

U2 have been around for 20+ years.

Coldplay: little under 5.

And, they aren't U2. U2 is U2. Coldplay is Coldplay.

Andwouldpeoplepleasestopcomparingthem. >.<

i agree----u2 is u2--they have their style--their lyric writing--their own thing

and coldplay is coldplay----best band ever(not really best one ever but in my heart they are)

DONT COMPARE THEM--------two different bands

you start a thread asking people for their views then start getting angry with them when they say things you don't like ...

Coldplay is coldplay and U2 is U2 is just a dumb reply,i'm not angry with who's able to reply in an intelligent way.

i think she was saying that they are different bands and therefore they have their own ideas and styles