✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay doesn't have the thematic range...

Dejan

Well, I have to say I don't know U2 too well... But after having seen U2 at Live8, I do feel a tad disturbed that Coldplay seem to be following U2's mould a bit too much. Seeing Bono bounding around the stage gave me deja vou ... Maybe it's just Chris doing the copying... But lately Jonny's guitar-playing mannerisms when playing live do look like the Edge.

Or is it somehow possible that it's the other way round- U2 are copying Coldplay? :lol:

One thing I will say in defence of CP... U2 will never manage the intimacy and tenderness of their accoustic songs

that would be because U2 has been playing together since the mid to late 80s!! Thats about 20 yrs and they have reached a level Coldplay can only dream of. (which by the way they do) When Chris said he wants to be better than U2.. he uses this as a tool for measurement.. somthing to strive for... compare yourself to the best... and strive for it.. (his words) and thats what they intend to do. I also think if any band is capable of doing this.. its Coldplay. :)

i consider Coldplay better than U2 [although U2 have soem amazing songs]...but i agree, that Coldplay are not as big as U2. But, it would be impossible for Coldplay to be as big because of the length of time U2 have been together

...and depth or sheer musical originality of U2.

What's your thoughts about it ?

Coldplay doesn't have the depth and sheer musical originality of U2? You're basing this on what?

U2 has been around way longer than CP and therefore you always run the risk on stepping on toes with these types of comments, but the feeling I get when listening to CP is way more intense than that of U2. That's enough for me.

I am a huge U2 fan. I am a huge Coldplay fan. And sometimes it's very hard to be both, since everyone's always saying one's not as good as the other or one's copying something from the other. It's starting to really. Really. Annoy me. There are so many essential elements from each band that are completely opposite. The song writing subject, for instance. Would Coldplay do a song like "40"? No, I don't think so. Would U2 do a song like Yellow? Or Speed of Sound? No.

Probably the only thing similiar about the 2 bands is the guitar playing. Edge doesn't solo as much as make a melodic statement on his guitar, much like Jonny does. They're both not Jimmy Page's, they don't go on for 20 minutes with violin bows, etc. But there are thousands of bands that do similiar things to Edge's style, or to Jonny's, or ANYONES.

Ah. I'm just so tired of the majority of U2 fans hating Coldplay and vice versa because the media has made up this whole "Are they the next U2?!" crap. As a fan and not a column writer? No. They are not. And I hope they never will be. *breathes and gets this out of system* There. :lol: I feel better now!

(oh and what you said above to frostbitepanda is absolutely uncalled for, kthnx.)

"Bands like U2 have been able to shed their skin once they've explored a sound for all it could offer; Coldplay is early in its career, but it hasn't hinted at a similar capacity for reinvention. If the band still sounds like this in five years, it won't have the same impact."

If you're talking about U2 shedding it's skin, they did this a little over 10 years into their musical career with the release of Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV tour.

So. Maybe we should just wait 5 more years and see what happens?

U2 has released 11 studio albums. Countless live albums, movie soundtracks and have done some of the biggest tours ever seen.

Coldplay has 3 albums, one live album and one major tour. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about here, are you implying that Coldplay sound the same on every single album so far? To me, X&Y is completely different from Parachutes, which is completely different from ROBTTH. It's half the reason why I didn't like X&Y at first.

Alright. Enough from me on this topic. I get very heated when someone puts my 2 favorite bands in the world head to head.

And, they aren't U2. U2 is U2. Coldplay is Coldplay.

And you got issues. Go do something else,you are not able to stay in a forum!

excuuuuuuuuse me! i thinks shes entitled to her view ...... so don't tell her to go and do something else! :angry:

and they are different bands and they aren't like eachother in my opinion ..... i prefer Coldplay :D

You are really starting to annoy. What kind of person ask for "thoughts about this" as you wrote in your first post, and then insult someone when you get it? :rolleyes:

You are really starting to annoy. What kind of person ask for "thoughts about this" as you wrote in your first post, and then insult someone when you get it? :rolleyes:

You cand find the answer looking @ your silly replies

Old U2 - great!

Newer U2 - :dozey:

I like Coldplay much better than U2. Could be that U2 is more original, all in all they've been around much longer. But I don't care too much about it to be honest.

I don't get it.

But that's because I'm silly. :P

Thanks for the defense victaniac. ;)

ETA: And Swollowedinamessage of course.

They probably don't. But I don't care. I'm not interested in them having as much originality as U2. If the music's good' date=' that's all I care about.[/quote']

you just roasted any person trying to compare for the

sake of comparing. you deserve an oatmeal raisin cookie.

seriously.. comparing things just leads to bullshit.

this is music not the nba.

cause.. really what the hell does it matter if Coldplay

doesn't have the thematic range of U2? or Queen?

or.. fucking MOZART. and if they did..

what then?

"...well Coldplay is certainly not as loud as an F-18

fighter jet..."

:confused: ???

frostbitepanda wrote:

You are really starting to annoy. What kind of person ask for "thoughts about this" as you wrote in your first post, and then insult someone when you get it?

GOSH you're all SILLY!

Is it worth it to draw comparisons between such a matured band as U2 and such a young budding new artist as Coldplay? mmmm...yes...but you have to keep that in mind: that one is much more seasoned than the other...

Hmm...i wish i could make an educated statement on whether coldplay or u2 has more thematic range...but i dont know u2's music very well at all....but i would say that most bands have a limited "thematic range" and coldplay is no exception... But time and song-writing experience definitely help to develop that...which u2 has.

Also, i think that varying song content helps to increase a band's thematic range. Coldplay's songs focus on love and romance and heartache (those are the ones that really get me... :cry: ) but take Dave Matthews...id say he has quite a wide range of sounds and his content varies from the story of the birth of christ to anti-war sentiments to the story of an old man and his "dreaming tree"...(i also think dave....um...uses....creativity-inducing... ... ...well, its called weed...) So I am sure with time we'll hear coldplay branch out into new musical territory....can't wait!

GOSH that was long.... does anyone agree?

-mmmmmatt

U2 were once a great band years ago, but if you ask me they have been greatly affected by their musical decline in the past five years or so. I think if Coldplay decide to stick together and keep producing music at such a colossal scale; then U2 will eventully fade into nothing more then a distant memory. overall I like U2, but it seems that their only capable of producing one or two good songs on any given album. Bono's voice is also going to shit imo.