✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

hey guys i gotta question about the song politik

curlyfry

help! please! i have a huge dilemma! i need to do a project on the song politik, and i need to find the political meaning of the song. as in the exact issue that the lyrics are about. ive been searching all over the internet, and i even emailed the makers of this site and i got an email back saying that there wasnt much info on the song, but to post something on the messageboards, so i thought id resort to this. any replies with official info or opinions about the song would be GREATLY appreciated. thank so much!

I'm not sure it'd be specifically about any of the issues in the world today. I don't ever remember Chris saying he sat down and wrote it about Iraq, or Bush, or poverty, etc etc. I'll look around for a quote, though.

I think what Politik is about is a commentary on who we are as a person, on where the human race is going. It's an incredibly poignant song that can really be tied into any issue you want.

Should be an interesting project, is this an essay you have to write? If so, do share when you're done! I'd be interested in reading it, or maybe helping you out. :)

All I've read about Politik is that it was written soon after the September 11 terrorist attacks. I thought I saw it in an interview or something, but the only source I can find right now with that info is wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldplay , nearly half way down the page under the section "A Rush Of Blood To The Head (October 2001–Mid-2004)." Hope that helps a little! Best of luck!

EDIT: Ok, i found a bit more here, http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/364696/ref%3Ded%5Fart%5F429037%5Ftxt%5F1/026-4630172-6781204

Amazon.co.uk: The track "Politik" reflects on a world at war with terrorism. How important was it to comment on September 11?

Martin: Well that song wasn't really about September 11; it was written a few days afterwards when we were all a bit scared. The reason that song is important to me is because it defines some things that we all believe in, and it was nice to have a slightly angry song. Obviously it was influenced by the event, but it certainly wasn't a case of having to sit down and find something that rhymes with Osama Bin Laden!

Not a whole lot of info., but it may give you something to think about. So, there ya go.

curlyfry, this project you have due sounds very interesting!!! :dozey:

anyways as danielle said(an_cat), i really donnt think the song has any political reference to now, you know, everything that's been going on the world. since it was written after sep 11, when the world was very confused about whether the rely on politics or not, i believe that's what the song is about, a little more towards the "against politics side", it sort of has a sarcastic tone, specially in the ever popular" open up your eyes".....

Hey curlyfry, what class is this for? It sounds interesting, but I think you might be having some trouble for a reason.

Chris talks alot about how he doesn't usually write songs about one specific thing, but instead he writes about the feelings that things inspire. So like other people said, I don't think that you're ever going to get one specific meaning or political message from any song. He has said before that he likes it when people can interpret a song in their own way so that it has personal meaning for them.

I'm afraid I don't know where to find any of them again, but in some old interviews Chris has mentioned that Politik was meant to be about a series of personal beliefs and thoughts about the world. It isn't making a specific political statement, it's just expressing some feelings, which would kind of make sense if it was written right after 9/11. I remember being pretty emotional myself, but I had nothing to direct it at; the world was just a jumble. I guess the song kind of reflects that sort of confusion in a way. It seems to be saying I don't know what's going on, but I still know that this and this is true. If there was one cause that might be a bit relevant, it would probably be Make Trade Fair, but I don't know how much the guys were into that at the time. I don't think Oxfam had approached them yet when they wrote the song, but feel free to correct me on that.

If you look around for old magazine articles online, you might find something. In late 2002 there would have been alot of album breakdowns. The official coldplay.com site might have something too. I know that ezine #6 has a blurb of all the arobtth songs.

I don't know how you could cite this as a source in a school paper, but gas_man uploaded a cd with interviews about arobtth in his upload thread. The links are dead now, but I re-uploaded the one where Chris talks about writing Politik. It has a fair bit of info in it.

Here you go: http://rapidshare.de/files/7293305/62_-_Chris_-_So__Politik._Not_Normally_Spelt_With_A_K._Why_That_Way_.mp3.html

Anyway, I rambled for alot longer than I meant to, but I hope that something in there might help. Keep us updated on how it goes, ok? ;) Good Luck.

I also saw on VH1 Storytellers where Guy was talking about the song...he said it was written shortly before or after 9/11 and he said that he thought the world was coming to an end and it really struck a chord with him...or something like that...

Will went on to say that Politik is also a very personal song, a personal statement of belief...er...about what someone thinks is good or bad...

That's all that I've really heard about it..

That song is amazing...

hey guys, thanks so much for all the feedback, i didnt expect so much so soon. i will definately keep you guys updated about my progress and for those of you who wanted to see/ read what i end up with i will definately do my best to show you. today i was looking through my little album booklet for a rush of blood to the head, and sure enough there is a page about the meaning of politik. I guess what i took out of that is the frustration the band feels towards political leaders and their choices in making trade decisions, which can benefit or...if you will, counter benefit people. (coffee beans come to mind, lol). well anyway im off to bed but once again i appreciate it SO MUCH! thanks guys!! oh by the way, the project is for my politics class,coincidental eh?

Lyrics

Thought I'd post the lyrics on here for people to refer to whilst reading this topic. Your project sounds so amazing by the way, writing about the meaning of a song by a band you love! Much more interesting than some of the things I have to write about in school.

Look at the earth from outer space

Everyone must find a place

Give me time and give me space

Give me real don't give me fake (political leaders always lie!)

Give me strength, reserve control

Give me heart and give me soul

Give me time, give us a kiss

Tell me your own politik

And open up your eyes, open up your eyes, open up your eyes, open up your eyes

Give me one 'cause one is best

In confusion, confidence

Give me peace of mind and trust

Don't forget the rest us

Give me strength, reserve control

Give me heart and give me soul

Wounds that heal and cracks that fix

Tell me your own politik

And open up your eyes, open up your eyes, open up your eyes, open up your eyes

Just open up your eyes

But give me love over, love over, love over this

Sorry if this is a rather simplistic view of the song, but I think it's about how people can get caught up in the state the world is in and how political leaders try to influence us. "Tell me your own politik" seems to be a way of saying "Tell me who YOU actually are - no lies or anything". Chris is asking for things saying "Give me" throughout, so he's thinking of an ideal world or an ideal situation or relationship to combat the bad world we are living in. The really loud instrumental at the chorus also shows a degree of anger and frustration, I love Will's drums at that point.

^well coldplay write about emotions, feelings, states of the human being...i agree with ya in the last part of your post, when you stated that the "really loud instrumental at the chorus also shows a degree of anger and frustration"i believe that to be true. most of the song projects frustration and mostly anger(musically), then when chris comes on with piano solo, it shows the inability to do anything, a feeling that leads to extreme sadness and depression, ergo, the slow and dramatic piano solo.

also, the fact that the songs starts loudly, then slow, then loud but emotional expresses a message: stop and take time to reflect...then, in the end, you might just feel the same.

ok. im done now, with my attempt to a "wannabe philosophical and pysichological" interpretation of the music in politik! :/