✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Czech speedway rider is knocked out in crash... and wakes up speaking perfect English

mc_squared

Czech speedway rider is knocked out in crash... and wakes up speaking perfect English

Last updated at 17:46pm on 13th September 2007

A vicious bang on the head was enough for a Czech speedway rider to suddenly start speaking perfect English - even though he barely knows the language.

Matej Kus, 17, was racing in Glasgow when he was knocked out cold after a crash.

But when he woke up in the back of an ambulance, Matej, whose English was described by his team boss as being "broken, to put it mildly", started speaking to medics in fluent English.

Scroll down for more ...

MatejKusNNP_468x645.jpgCzech Matej Kus, 17, was banged on the head in a racing accident - and came to speaking perfect English

Peter Waite, promoter for Berwick Bandits speedway team said: "Matej was out cold for a long time and woke up in the ambulance.

"I was talking to someone by the ambulance door when he did come round and he started talking to the doctor and the medical staff - it stopped me dead in my tracks, as it did the rider I was talking to.

The teenager didn't know who he was when he came round. "He was asking who he was and he didn't even know he was Czech! It was all in perfect English. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

"Before his crash Matej's use of the English language was broken to put it mildly.

"It was in a really clear English accent, no dialect or anything. Whatever happened in the crash must have rearranged things in his head."

Mr Waite said Matej had been keen to learn English but had struggled to make himself understood.

"I've heard of other people getting knocked out and waking up talking fluent Italian or in one case even developing a Welsh accent, but never really believed it possible, but this incredible thing was happening in front of us!"

Mr Waite is hoping it will be permanent.

"I've no idea if it's long lasting or only a short term mastering of English, but it would be good for all of us if it's permanent - it will save Matej hours and hours of grasping the language."

Unfortunately the smash has put Matej out of action. "It's sickening losing him as it was only his second match for us and he was really showing some bite in his racing."

The rider has gone home to Plzen, a city west of Prague, to recuperate - and to celebrate his 18th birthday two days after the crash.

"He's on crutches because he had really bad ligament damage to his left knee," Mr Waite added.

He has been told by the doctors to rest for at least a month because he was unconscious for about 45 minutes.

"We all hope he makes a full recovery though, he got a big future ahead of him and if he can come back still speaking English then that'll be a big bonus."

Interesting. Sometimes it would be really good to crash somewhere and then find yourself speaking fluently a language you've always wanted to master. *g*

Well I have a strange feeling it might have already happened to Spamarek, because he now speaks fluent "gobbledygook"!!:P