🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Double GRAZING??

mc_squared

Double glazing salesman 'punched customer for getting quote from a rival firm'

Last updated at 15:14pm on 23rd October 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments (7)

birkenshaw2310_228x606.jpgAllegations: Salesman Carl Birkenshaw claims he only defended himself

A double glazing salesman punched a customer in the face and sat on him shouting "I've got you now" after he found out they had a quote from a rival firm, a court heard.

George Dixon was left bleeding from his mouth and with injuries to his face and shoulder after being attacked in his own lounge and in front of his wife, Evelyn.

Salesman Carl Birkenshaw had been invited to the couple's home in Cramlington, Northumberland to give them a quote for fitting a conservatory but things turned nasty when they mentioned they had already been given a price by another company.

Yesterday Mr Dixon told the court: "I said all we wanted was a quote, not to hear him slagging off the other company.

"He started shouting and ranting that we were wasting his time and so I stood up and asked him to leave. My wife was becoming very upset," he said.

Mr Dixon put his hand on the salesman's shoulder and ushered him towards the front door.

But the court heard Birkenshaw grabbed him by the throat and swung two punches at him, one of which connected with his neck after missing his face. Mr Dixon retaliated by punching Birkenshaw on the chin, knocking him down on to the settee.

Mr Dixon said he tripped and fell over backwards on to the floor. Birkenshaw then said "I've got you now you bastard" before getting on top of him and punching him at least three times in the face, as his hysterical wife telephoned the police.

Mr Dixon managed to get up and heard his wife tell Birkenshaw that the police were on their way. Birkenshaw then ran past him, grabbed his briefcase and left the house.

Outside he shouted at Mr Dixon that he would bring people round to "sort him out" before driving off in his car.

Mr Dixon said: "I asked him four times to leave the house but he refused to move. We went through a horrendous night with this bloke for no reason at all."

Birkenshaw, 42, of North Shields, a sales manager with Paramount Windows and Conservatories, denies assaulting Mr Dixon in February.

He claims he acted in self-defence after Mr Dixon became aggressive, told him to leave the house and hit him first.

Mr Dixon denied suggestions by Birkenshaw's solicitor, John Monkhouse, that he was making parts of his story up and that he had "assaulted the salesman first."

The case was adjourned until next month.