Jump to content

British climber with broken leg survives two freezing nights on snowy mountain before hobbling down


Recommended Posts

British climber with broken leg survives two freezing nights on snowy mountain before hobbling down 11,400 feet to safety



By Tom Worden

Last updated at 12:22 PM on 06th January 2010



article-1241015-07C5F06F000005DC-678_233x423.jpg The Sierra Nevada mountains in Spain. Climber Sean Moore who had a broken leg spent two nights on the range's highest peak


A British climber with a broken leg survived two nights in freezing temperatures on a snow-covered mountain top.

In an astonishing tale of survival, Sean Moore, 44, somehow managed to make his way down the 11,423 feet (3,482m) Mulhacen peak in the Sierra Navada, near Granada in Spain.

He found a bar where locals raised the alarm by calling the Civil Guard.

Moore went missing on Sunday after setting out alone to tackle the highest peak in mainland Spain.

A six-man Civil Guard rescue team spent two days searching for him after his wife raised the alarm when he failed to return to their hotel.

The rescue effort was hampered by heavy snowfall, high winds and poor visibility.

Temperatures plummeted to -6C on both nights, and Mr Moore had not taken a mobile phone with him on the climb.

Mr Moore was taken to the emergency room at Granada's Hospital Clinico where doctors were last night preparing to operate on his broken leg.

His relieved wife was at his side.

A Civil Guard source said: 'It's incredible that he survived two nights on the mountain.

'The conditions were horrendous. It was snowing very hard, there were severe winds and temperatures of -6C.

'Our six-main mountain rescue team spent two days looking for him but in the end he made his own way down and found a bar where he raised the alarm.

'We urge people never to go climbing alone, it's not a sensible thing to do.'

Mr Moore set off in the early hours of Sunday morning and his wife expected him to return to their hotel in Pradollano that lunchtime.

She called the emergency services on Sunday evening when he failed to show.

The rescue team set off early on Monday morning and spent Monday night on the mountain.

The treacherous weather conditions prevented rescue workers from using a helicopter or other vehicles in the search.

A spokeswoman for the hospital where Mr Moore is being treated said last night: 'He is in the emergency room with his wife preparing for surgery on his broken leg, but his injuries are not life-threatening.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1241015/British-climber-broken-leg-survives-freezing-nights-snowy-mountain-hobbling-11-400-feet-safety.html#ixzz0bqkrniY0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...