✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Mathematician, Engineer, And Physicist Joke Thread!

hotdensestate

I'll start with one of my favorites.

"A mathematician, an engineer, and a physicist are all given the task of removing two nails. One of them is completely nailed into the wall, and the other is stuck out almost all the way. The engineer pulls out the second nail and then hurts his fingers tugging on the first for thirty minutes before finally pulling it out. The physicist calculates for ten minutes, returns with a metal contraption, and removes the two nails with the exact minimum amount of force necessary to do so in each case. The mathematician ignores the nail sticking out, because it is less interesting, and works for hours on an elegant way to pull out the nail that's nailed in, and writes a paper about how doing so has furthered the entire field of carpentry's understanding of their job. After finally removing the nail, he looks distastefully at the one sticking out, says, 'This problem can be simplified into a previously solved case,' nails it in, and then leaves."

LOL

TROLOLO

An engineer, a mathematician, and a physicist are testing the theory that all odd numbers are prime.

Physicist: "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 - must be experimental error, 11 is prime, 13 is prime. That's enough data points; the theory is true."

Mathematician: "By convention, 1 is not prime, but 3 is prime, 5 is prime, and 7 is prime. Using mathematical induction, we can infer that all odd numbers are prime."

Engineer: "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, 15 is prime, 17 is prime, 19 is prime... Hmmm, theory appears to be true."

Second Engineer, who slept through some early math classes: "What do you mean, '1 is not prime?'"

CHORKLE CHORKLE CHORKLE

TROLOLO

An engineer, a mathematician, and a physicist are testing the theory that all odd numbers are prime.

Physicist: "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 - must be experimental error, 11 is prime, 13 is prime. That's enough data points; the theory is true."

Mathematician: "By convention, 1 is not prime, but 3 is prime, 5 is prime, and 7 is prime. Using mathematical induction, we can infer that all odd numbers are prime."

Engineer: "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, 15 is prime, 17 is prime, 19 is prime... Hmmm, theory appears to be true."

Second Engineer, who slept through some early math classes: "What do you mean, '1 is not prime?'"

CHORKLE CHORKLE CHORKLE

I must be stupid because I don't see what's so funny

The one I heard just has the Mathematician pwning everybody by saying that 9 is not prime and leaving.

Interesting how the diffusion of the joke has changed its structure so much. Wouldn't you say?

That'd make it more funny.

:shrug:

I just went on google and chose the first joke I saw.

It took me a while to figure out how it could possibly be funny, actually.

I literally read it for ten minutes and felt like a fool for not getting it. :bigcry: