✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

1 100 000 People March in Barcelona !

bart

Catalonia is one of 17 autonomous regions in Spain More than a million people held a march in Barcelona to call for greater autonomy for the Catalan region.

The demonstration comes a day after a constitutional court declared that there was no legal basis to recognise Catalonia as a nation.

The ruling also said the Catalan language should not take precedence over Castilian Spanish.

It followed a challenge to the region's statute by the opposition People's Party, which favours Spanish unity.

The statute of autonomy was approved by Catalan voters in a 2006 referendum.

It gave greater powers to the regional parliament in taxation and judicial matters.

Continue reading the main story In pictures: Catalan march

BBC European regional analyst Sean Fanning says that just how much power should be devolved from Madrid is a constant process of negotiation and that the constitutional court acts as a referee.

Spanish TV reports showed crowds of many thousands in Barcelona waving flags and red and yellow banners reading "We are a nation".

"This demonstration is the start of independence that we want for our country (Catalonia)," one student told AFP news agency.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/videos/politica/20100711/catalunya-grita-prou/278610.shtml

My friend said this was going to happen and it was going to be big. I never expexted it to be this big.

If the Popular Party in Spain win the next Spanish Election, there could be some major problems coming to Spain.

Zapertero Spains current Prime Minister.. has some hard work to do now.

I seen all these people yesterday, they were angry, some I think will be willing to fight for the cause.

This protest was organised in 10 days I think.

A few years I go, i was told 75 % of the catalan people voted for greater freedom from Madrid.

They belived they got it until this ruling of this court.