✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mystic River

rf_ucsd

I just got out of the theater. Saw Mystic River. Anybody else seen it or wanna talk about it?

Although there were differing opinions from others as the crowd left the theater, I thought the movie was very good. It's been getting great reviews, and I can see why. THe actors are top knotch and give top knotch performances. That said, I didn't think it was as good as those critics would have your believe. While the acting was very, very good, the movie certainly isn't close to a classic (or even an Oscar nominee, IMO). But I definitely thought the acting was enough to make this a must see.

Sean Penn was great. Great is kind of an understatement. He gave me chills. There are were so many places he had to take this character. It was amazing. I thought this was the best performance I've ever seen from him and I would think that, given how much critical respect he carries, this would be his best chance to finally win an Academy Award.

Tim Robbins was great, too. He played more of a supporting role in this movie but was extremely convincing. I think he should also get a lot of credit for this performance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win awards (incidentally, I'm no expert).

Marsha Gay Harden plays Robbins's wife and is also very, very good. I'm running out of adjectives to describe these performances (partly because I don't want to give away too much to somebody who might be reading this and deciding whether to go to the movie). Needless to say she also deserves praise.

Laura Linney, Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishbourne also play prominent rols in the cast, but even those actors are overshadowed by the three formerly mentioned. Each of them are good also.

The movie's plot is well developed, the story good. The only problems I had with the movie involved the editing and direction, but those negatives are far over shadowed by the acting.

OK, enough pompus criticism. I recommend the movie.

Anybody else have thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

This movie was messed up! The ending sucked!! I can't believe they didn't even care about David in the end! What was up with that? I thought it was a pretty good movie, but these people definitely had problemos. Oh, and Sean Penn's wife in the movie freaked me out at the end. I thought the acting was decent, but not Oscar caliber. But who knows, if there are no good movies this year, maybe this movie will get some nominations for an award (even if not the Oscars). I didn't even realize until the end that Clint Eastwood directed this movie.

Decent, though, decent.