✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

National Geographic Book Club

Prince Myshkin

OK, I'm unsure of where to put this thread. I was thinking of News and Sports because it is discussing current news from around the world. Then I was thinking Entertainment and Arts because it is a magazine and it is famed for it's photography. Also, it seems like the place where a book club should belong. Please can somebody move it to the appropriate section of the board.

Anyway, the other day I bought my first National Geographic after my friend was letting me read his and I find it so fascinating. It is a monthly magazine and each issue costs £4.99, so quite expensive, but then I found out if you get a 12 month subscription you can get all 12 issues AND get them delivered to your house for a year for only £15! Ridiculously cheap.

I'm half way through reading mine and I just wish I had more people to discuss it with since my friend has gone back to uni and doesn't have internet access right now. He is the only person I know who reads it.

Are there any members on here who buy National Geographic and would be interested in discussing their issues in here? Or anybody who would be interested in getting a subscription? I really do recommend it since it's fantastic and so cheap! The articles are informative but not overwhelming and the photography is stunning. It is also distributed in a number of languages so that shouldn't be a problem for people here.

Let me know what you think about whether this thread would interest you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this should be moved to the Entertainment and Arts section.

I must have read National Geographic before. Yes, the photography is good, and the news is good too.

Have you tried Discover magazine or Astronomy (if you like astronomy)? I used to read those, but I rarely do so anymore.

I need to start reading back these informative magazines.

I think this should be moved to the Entertainment and Arts section.

I must have read National Geographic before. Yes, the photography is good, and the news is good too.

Have you tried Discover magazine or Astronomy (if you like astronomy)? I used to read those, but I rarely do so anymore.

I need to start reading back these informative magazines.

I haven't read those, no. I'd be interested to though. Since I don't have a job right now I cannot afford to buy them, however my parents have said they will get me two subscriptions for Christmas so I have chosen National Geographic and BBC History Magazine, so that I can cover a range of topics. When I get a job I'd be interested in purchasing those magazines with my own money though so I'll look into it.

You should get back to reading them. Especially so you can post in this thread :)

I haven't read those, no. I'd be interested to though. Since I don't have a job right now I cannot afford to buy them, however my parents have said they will get me two subscriptions for Christmas so I have chosen National Geographic and BBC History Magazine, so that I can cover a range of topics. When I get a job I'd be interested in purchasing those magazines with my own money though so I'll look into it.

You should get back to reading them. Especially so you can post in this thread :)

The good thing about these magazines is that you get to read it though the issue is outdated. I think I should be able to find cheaper priced copies.

History magazine, that would be interesting.

I have 2 volumes of Knowledge (magazine, if I'm not mistaken). Its superbly old and it actually belongs to my grandfather's school he taught in. He must have took it from the school and I'm glad he didn't give it back and now I have it! I wonder whether there's more though.

Yeah, I should. :wacko:

I think when I was younger I had a few issues that I read.

I know that my grandparents also used to keep them. I remember seeing some from the 60's, but I think my dad threw them away because they arent really worth anything.

That's a shame, he should have kept one or two, just to look back on it in a few decades time again.

The good thing about these magazines is that you get to read it though the issue is outdated. I think I should be able to find cheaper priced copies.

History magazine, that would be interesting.

I have 2 volumes of Knowledge (magazine, if I'm not mistaken). Its superbly old and it actually belongs to my grandfather's school he taught in. He must have took it from the school and I'm glad he didn't give it back and now I have it! I wonder whether there's more though.

Yeah, I should. :wacko:

Cheaper than £15 for 12 issues? Wow, how?

Woah, that's really old haha! What is the topic of that issue? Can you remember?

Cheaper than £15 for 12 issues? Wow, how?

Woah, that's really old haha! What is the topic of that issue? Can you remember?

Oh, I'm not sure about that.

But I know I can find second hand issues here, or the cheaper reissued ones.

It's basically a compilation of many Knowledge magazines into one big book/volume. So there are many many topics in there.

Oh, I'm not sure about that.

But I know I can find second hand issues here, or the cheaper reissued ones.

It's basically a compilation of many Knowledge magazines into one big book/volume. So there are many many topics in there.

Ah, I see.

The UK has their own Knowledge magazine but it is only 6 issues a year. Looks quite good though. It also says it has selected articles from other magazines (including the History one), so I think I will just get that instead.

Ah, I see.

The UK has their own Knowledge magazine but it is only 6 issues a year. Looks quite good though. It also says it has selected articles from other magazines (including the History one), so I think I will just get that instead.

It should be the UK knowledge magazines (the big volume I have), because the price for the magazines are stated in pound. And it's states that it's printed in Great Britain.

Good grief, the contents are dated 1961. :laugh3:

A lot.

I actually just found them, lying around.. :thinking:

I wonder how they got here.

They escaped and are begging you to buy them some new ones for company!

ah Nat Geo magazine. I would only buy a buy-one-take-one of those because it's expensive.

and I used them (from the archives at my former uni's library) for my homeworks in our History. hah good times.

The yearly subscription costs the same as only three issues, plus you get a National Geographic fleece too :awesome: So the price is much better if you get the subscription.

If only I had used the library when I was at univesity :lol:

It should be the UK knowledge magazines (the big volume I have), because the price for the magazines are stated in pound. And it's states that it's printed in Great Britain.

Good grief, the contents are dated 1961. :laugh3:

Ah OK. Haha, well not quite up to date then :p

The yearly subscription costs the same as only three issues, plus you get a National Geographic fleece too :awesome: So the price is much better if you get the subscription.

If only I had used the library when I was at univesity :lol:

cool beans! I should tell my mom about this.

in many instances we would buy Time though (and I still find it expensive. although much cheaper than NGM.), so I'm still kinda unsure on which to subscribe to :tongue:

But the historical information it has in there is much better than my school's text book. LULZ.

Haha, school text books suck!

cool beans! I should tell my mom about this.

in many instances we would buy Time though (and I still find it expensive. although much cheaper than NGM.), so I'm still kinda unsure on which to subscribe to :tongue:

Yeah, it would be a great Christmas present! Well it's all good so I wish you luck in finding the magazine for you!

I guessed you made this thread before even clicking on it. NG is very interesting but I much prefer the sky at night magazines and Im already a subscriber to ImagineFX which is a digital art magazine. I know how it feels being the only one of your mates thats interested in this kind of stuff though, i end up venting various parts of my (limited) knowledge to people and I think they just switch off now lol.

I was thinking about what i should start reading!! My subscription with a French magazine called Sciences et vie just ended and i can't renew it seeing that it's too expensive and i'm getting ready for uni and not working:shame: i really should ask my parents.

I know how it feels being the only one of your mates thats interested in this kind of stuff though, i end up venting various parts of my (limited) knowledge to people and I think they just switch off now lol.

yeah i know how you feel, i could go on for hours talking about this stuff if no one shuts me up and whenever i try to bring something up my friends kinda zone out and just nod and agree, it's pretty annoying having no one to talk to about these things:(

I guessed you made this thread before even clicking on it. NG is very interesting but I much prefer the sky at night magazines and Im already a subscriber to ImagineFX which is a digital art magazine. I know how it feels being the only one of your mates thats interested in this kind of stuff though, i end up venting various parts of my (limited) knowledge to people and I think they just switch off now lol.

Haha, well I either make stupid threads or serious threads. Never anything in between. It's not that they don't have an interest in these things, it's more that if we were to discuss these things I would have to explain everything first since I would have just read up on it and that would get really old for everybody involved, like you said. If we had all read the piece we could bounce off each other and maybe teach each other things that some may not have picked up on. That's what I'm hoping to do in this thread if we get any subscribers, no matter how few.

I was looking at The Sky At Night and it looked really good. If I was to have a third subscription it would be that. Then I could have one on the environment and world events, one on history and then one on astronomy.

I was thinking about what i should start reading!! My subscription with a French magazine called Sciences et vie just ended and i can't renew it seeing that it's too expensive and i'm getting ready for uni and not working:shame: i really should ask my parents.

yeah i know how you feel, i could go on for hours talking about this stuff if no one shuts me up and whenever i try to bring something up my friends kinda zone out and just nod and agree, it's pretty annoying having no one to talk to about these things:(

If price is a huge factor for you right now National Geographic would be a good choice for you. What will you be studying at uni?