✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Financial Times Review - 4 Stars

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

Here's a short but sweet review from every businessman's favourite broadsheet. It seems the quality press here in the UK have very much warmed to Coldplay's new album!

By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Mylo Xyloto, EMI

Rating ****

A concept album of sorts which proves unexpectedly dynamic

Where previous Coldplay records have grown ever more insipid, like a cup of tea repeatedly made with the same teabag, Mylo Xyloto proves unexpectedly dynamic. A concept album of sorts, it tells the story of a romance between the titular Mylo and Xyloto, two young lovers who meet in a dystopian city. The plot is thin, but it appears to have stopped Chris Martin and co from lapsing into their usual wooliness. “Hurts Like Heaven” sparkles with vibrant guitar-playing, “Paradise” is a stomping stadium anthem about thwarted hopes, and “Princess of China” teams Martin with Rihanna in an illogically catchy R&B-pop/arena rock crossover.

Brian Eno’s production is crisp, and while the lyrics contain the odd clunker – “Life goes on, it gets so heavy,” groans Martin, auditioning badly for Radio 4’s Thought of the Day – they also capture a topical sense of a lost generation struggling to get by in an unforgiving world.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2a7618ba-f910-11e0-9d4e-00144feab49a.html#axzz1bT6mNXbI

For more music reviews by Hunter-Tilney

http://journalisted.com/ludovic-huntertilney?allarticles=yes

Guest howyousawtheworld
The British papers have for the most part been favourable (minus The Independent) however Mylo is still their lowest rated album to date: http://www.metacritic.com/music/mylo-xyloto

To be fair there are plenty of positive reviews that haven't been posted to metacritic yet. The album though has gained more higher scores (4-5 stars) than any of their previous efforts.

Yes but metacritic only uses reviews from certain publications, not all of them and previous metacritic scores from CP albums range from 70-80. Even once they've added everything I doubt highly it's gonna jump up at least 8 points.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, what matters most is what you personally think of it, I'm just saying it hasn't been as well received as it seems :)

Guest howyousawtheworld

For sure critical opinion is polarized. It has had better reviews than VLV but it has also had worse reviews than VLV.

I haven't listened to the record yet, but I do hope I find myself agreeing with the likes of Neil Mccormick, the above review and other reviews but I could so easily find myslef agreeing with the likes of the guardian's scores and such.