✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

(Almost) £9000 Raised for Benefit Auction! - April 2011 Review

BerrymanGirl1

:dance:

The great month of Guy. I mean April!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIf5cF_3K2nMYQq-HUyX4JA4aJ0c5vwLZfr3mD5JS8Esp1HyFC

Here a few events that happened in April, from the likes of Roadie #42 and new festival dates to raising money for the Japan earthquake victims.

05 April 2011

First off, a blog from Roadie talking about new things happening around the Beehive!

427.jpg

Roadie #42 – Blog #129 (Taken from Coldplay.com)

Beware: wonkiness.

#42 and the wonky studio:

Greetings folks, from my little room at the top of the Beehive. I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I could swear that things have got more wonky up here since we moved in. And I mean that in a purely physical sense, not a psychological one. We’ve got bits of wood under the fridge to try to level it up and there’s a pretty hefty crack appearing down the side of the staircase. Whether it’s just the building breathing, or whether I’ll find myself on top of a passing double decker one day soon, only time will tell.

Aside from the cracks down the stairs, there are further building modifications going on. Somewhat amusingly, before we moved in here, the place had been squatted and the walls were covered with graffiti. Part of the refit was cleaning up, re-plastering and re-painting so we were surrounded by pristine white walls.

More…

Since then, bringing everything full circle, Chris seems to have become very friendly with spray-paint and Will, with most of his parts recorded, has also begun to express himself rather colourfully all over the walls.

I didn’t find out for a long time that the Viva logo was something Will did whilst at a loose end during the last album sessions. The four bars, one red and three black with the V I V A letters across them had been up on the wall in the lounge area of the Bakery for a long time. Because I was so accustomed to seeing the logo all over the place - on the huge stage drape, on t-shirts, tour programmes - everywhere, I just assumed that the small one up on the wall in the Bakery was just another, maybe a decal or something. But when we were filming the band getting all the wonderful fan postcards a couple of years ago, the subject came up. Will proudly explained that it was the original and all his own work.

This week is eerily quiet here. From the look of things, this may be a “family week” at home for the band, which means everyone still here gets a chance to catch up with work and make a start on preparations for the festivals.

EJ, one of the bands lovely assistants dropped by the other day with passports fresh back from the travel company. I’m now on my fifth passport since starting with Coldplay back in 2002 - that’s a lot of pages stamped and an unthinkable number of miles travelled. The impending festival run is hardly a lengthy world tour, but it’s a reminder that we’re going to be back out in the world soon and that the warm comfy cocoon of the studio isn’t forever.

In an attempt to take the edge off the mad-dash panic that band rehearsals tend to be, we’re getting a head start on gear repairs and maintenance. Bash has been in with a new kit for Will, which has been suitably attacked with the spray-cans. I’m busily sampling a lot of the old keyboards that we’ve taken on the road with us for years - trying to shed a few cargo pounds. Matt McGinn is tearing apart Jonny’s world to satisfy Dan Green’s desire for true stereo.

20110405_2.jpg

It’s not all silence in the studio though, as Chris and Brian appear to have snuck back in during the ‘quiet week’. Like mischievous little boys, they’re pulling the songs out and seeing if there’s some interesting ways in which they can twist and distort them. Markus has been at the reins very solidly through this session and has done a sterling job at keeping everything progressing towards the finish line. A little bit of coaxing happy accidents from mad experiments can’t hurt though. And it looks like that’s exactly what’s happening downstairs. I want to find an excuse to nip in and take a look, but I also don’t want to break the spell.

Either way, I can’t wait to hear the results.

R#42.

06 April 2011

Raising money for Japanese earthquake victims:

Chris’ Viva Jacket in Japan Benefit Auction! :nice:

Bid for Chris’ jacket in EMI’s auction for the Red Cross

"Good evening. Coldplay's record label, EMI, has put together an auction in aid of the British Red Cross's Japan Tsunami Relief Appeal. The auction contains two Coldplay items.

zumawirewestphotos630798-20081125-zaf_chris_martin_coldplay_nc.jpeg

Lot 1: Chris's Viva La Vida Jacket & signed gold disc Chris's jacket as worn on the Viva La Vida world tour, PLUS a triple gold disc presentation which has been donated by Will and signed by the band.

auc1.jpg

Lot 2: Signed Brisbane tour poster A signed poster from Coldplay's Viva La Vida tour dates in Brisbane, Australia. The poster is signed by Coldplay and framed."

Anchorman

The jacket was bought £8,600 and the poster for £390 For the Japan Tsunami Relief Fund :heart:

08 April 2011

Our favourite thing in the world: rumours. :P

Here's the rumour about Coldplay performing at the opening ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics.

London Olympics 2012

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-hnMgxC-Mi_XHqMOLlZWYn2uTunahKAUJBIE17mjZWPsW8Y1oyg

Coldplay top the list of bands organisers want to perform the official Olympic song at the opening ceremony for the 2012 games in London. Whoever is chosen will play the specially-commissioned song to a TV audience in excess of two billion, reports say.

Organisers have delegated the responsibility of finding someone to write what will be called 'Welcome Song' to arts charity the Dartington Hall Trust. According to an inside source, Chris Martin and company are their first choice to perform it.

More…

The source told the Daily Mirror, "Chris is at the top of the list to front the official record. He's a huge star and a British musical icon, with an international profile. We're pulling out all the stops to get hold of him, ideally with the rest of Coldplay involved, too."

The source added, "Coldplay are the biggest stadium rockers in Britain today and their style of anthemic music would be perfect for the Olympics. It needs to be something inspirational. The hope is that they would perform at the opening ceremony, as well as produce a recording of the track, which could help fund good causes in British sport."

Coldplay aren't the only act in the running to perform the track on July 27, 2012. Muse, Joss Stone and Damon Albarn are also rumoured to be in contention to feature at the Danny Boyle-orchestrated opening ceremony.

12 April 2011

SPLENDOUR IN THE GRASS! Festival date announced

affc1_1057103.jpg

Band to play Australian festival in July

"Good evening (or morning, if you're down under). We're pleased to report that Coldplay will headline this year's Splendour In The Grass festival in Queensland, Australia."

Anchorman

(ps - The festival takes its name from a line in a William Wordsworth poem)

Pictures and Videos (but not too many, since the performance was in July) in spoiler :cool4:

One is quite large... :uhoh:

6001058223_b50587c069_m.jpg (Photo by tauiwi)

02082011291.jpg(Photo by Connor!42!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mu_87YmNt8]Coldplay Fix You Splendour 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoBMiAm12pU]Coldplay - Viva La Vida [Live @ Splendour in the Grass 2011] - YouTube[/ame]

More importantly, this was Guy’s birthday. :wacky:

tumblr_ljjum9d4JP1qc91avo1_500.jpg (Photo by oleolecoldplay.tumblr.com)

14 April 2011

Chris Martin Covers Oasis at a Secret London Gig

20110413diy3.jpg

On April 14th, Chris made an appearance at a locul pub charity gig in London. His long time mate Simon Pegg was the one who organized the “benefit night” at the Boogaloo in Highgate, North London. It was a tribute to the former landlord John Parkhouse who had passed away.

Chris Martin performed not only many Coldplay songs such as Wedding Bells, Yellow, and Green Eyes during which Simon Pegg joined him on stage to play harmonica, but Chris also covered Oasis’ hit Wonderwall (1995). When he performed the Oasis track, he brought a lucky audience member to the stage to help, saying, "Fuck it I'll do it, but only if you do it with me."

Other celebs in the crowd included Ant and Dec and the pub was the inspiration for 'The Winchester in Simon Pegg's film Shaun of the Dead.

Thread for comments and photos here: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76313 (Thanks Mimixxx)

Video here ( Wonderwall :wacky:) : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2_hipDIYk0&sns=tw]Chris Martin - Wonderwall @ The Boogaloo 13/4/11 - YouTube[/ame]

18 April 2011

thewebbyawards.jpg

Coldplay.com is Webbys Honoree! :awesome: (Taken from Coldplay.com)

"And we couldn’t have done it without your help

Good evening. We’re very pleased to report that Coldplay.com is an Honoree at this year’s Webby Awards (a bit like the Oscars of the internet world).

According to the Webbys, to be an Honoree is “an incredible achievement worthy of praise”. Given that our website is currently centred around Exhibits that you’ve uploaded, Hypnofeed videos that you’ve suggested, Live Tranmissions you’ve submitted and Oracle questions that you’ve asked, we’d like to thank you very much indeed for helping us to achieve this recognition for the site. We quite literally couldn’t have done it without you."

Anchorman

Yay Coldplay.com! :clap:

26 April 2011

Lollapalooza date announced!:dance:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoigsUGRaBsvpSk_sEpRhzHnha4JCQmociwJdFDMp7Mk7gT2zW

So on the 26th of April, Coldplay announced that they were going to headline the North American festival. They were headlining Lollapalooza over the summer along with the rest of the many summer festival dates! (Coldplay headlined on Friday August 5th, which pitted them against another headliner, Muse. :surprised:)

27 April 2011

426.jpg

Roadie #42 – Blog #130 (Taken on Coldplay.com)

#42 is busying himself for the festival season :vuvuzela:

We had an email go around recently from our fearless new production manager (you’d bloody have to be…), Wob Roberts. It had the subject line “More changes – No change there”. Now, that could come across as snidey moaning, but given Wob’s unflappable nature, it’s clearly just the knowing wink of someone who’s seen it all before.

The process of getting a tour together, much like any creative endeavour, is something that starts with a blank sheet of paper (or in the festivals’ case, an empty field). The change from the empty field to the huge event doesn’t happen in one big lightswitch-like flick. It happens over the course of an incredible number of planning meetings, decisions, experiments, triumphs and trashings.

More…

20110423a.jpg

The entire journey is a procession of changes – some tiny, some huge, but all whizzing past you and altering the landscape at an alarming rate. When you first experience this, it can feel very uncomfortable. There is almost nothing solid to build from, because nothing stays the same for very long.

It never really gets any easier, you just get better at ignoring the voice in your head that is constantly screaming “run away”.

None of this is to say it’s any less unsettling. When one job is reliant on another being finished so that you can get started being ready for a third, things can soon get quite interesting. When the deadline for the thing you’re waiting on shifts a few weeks back and the thing you need to be ready for gets shifted forwards – you’re left needing to finish the job two weeks before being in a position to even start it.

Anyway, nobody likes a moaner and in reality, besides the workload, I’m looking forward to escaping from the studio for a bit.

The fellas themselves are on great form. Perhaps it’s the weather, perhaps it’s the idea of escaping from the studio and going outdoors to make a massive noise again, who knows? I’ve just come up the stairs past the ‘art room’. This often acts as a meeting room and a place to listen back to work in progress. The door was firmly closed. I always assume there are serious discussions and furrowed brows when the door is closed, but as I pass, I hear Jonny make a comment and Phil explode in genuine and joyous laughter. Sounds like the vibe is very up.

The greatest thing for me about the festivals, is that they’re a very solid framework for what’s coming up. Everyone knows where they’ll be and what they’ll be doing for a good deal of the summer – and in an environment where constant change whips you like the wind, having absolute certainty about something (or the closest you get to it in this game) is a very good thing.

Hope it stays sunny…

R#42

As you can see there weren't many huge events which took place in April particularly because they were busy working on the album. :smash:

Last but not least, here are just some extra photos, it's a present :santa2: for reading my horrible review :shame: :whip:

These people got to meet Coldplay near the studio in the month circa/in April :dead:

20110328cpz2.jpg

20110328cpz4.jpg

20110328cpz5.jpg

20110328cpz6.jpg

20110328ilc1.jpg

20110328ilc2.jpg

Photos: coldpatrix, illuvcoldplay and Gabriele

Thank you for your time! :hug:

I hope you liked my review :shy:

edit: oops I forgot to add a poll :uhoh:... why don't you just tell me what your favourite event was :awesome:

Another great review. :clap: :clap:

And now I understand why you were so anxious to cover April - because that it the month with Guy's birthday.

Even the balloons at the gig in Berlin found Guy awesome (according to a post from Raphaële who was there) - she wrote that 6-7 balloons surrounded Guy.

Another great review. :clap: :clap:

And now I understand why you were so anxious to cover April - because that it the month with Guy's birthday.

Even the balloons at the gig in Berlin found Guy awesome (according to a post from Raphaële who was there) - she wrote that 6-7 balloons surrounded Guy.

Thank you Nance! :hug:

Hehe yes, just like last year!

:wink3:well, we all know Guy is attractive :laugh1:

Oh, double entendres. :awesome:

• 2 weeks later...