✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Grad Paper on AROBTTH

zaccor

Hello,

I'm a masters student at Northern Illinois University and I'm taking a graduate course on pop culture. For our final paper, we must explore something in the pop culture world that has had a large impact on our lives. For me, that is Coldplay's album A Rush of Blood to the Head. I'm a big fan of the band ever since I went to my first concert of theirs in Orlando in 2006. At the time they were promoting X&Y, but it was AROBTTH that really captured my attention and I think it is their best work.

I've been a member of this forum for a few years now and I would love to hear what you, my fellow fans, have to say about AROBTTH.

Specifically,

What makes AROBTTH Coldplay's best album?

What is your favorite song of the album, and why?

What impact has Coldplay had on you personally?

What is Coldplay's place in pop culture?

I want to thank any and all of you who decide to answer on here, and I will use some of your responses in my paper.

- Zac

Hi Zac, my name is Molly and I'm from England, I'm in high school.

AROBTTH is definitely my favourite Coldplay album with no doubt about it. I think it is their best album because each song on it (from track one, Politik to track eleven, Amsterdam) is an individual piece of art. Not only that but I find the artwork brilliant as well, I think it is extremely clever and a unique album cover.

My favourite song on AROBTTH is In My Place, it opens with Will Champions legendary drumming, then enters the guitars and then vocals, it is simply magnificent. The lyrics are also so interesting to listen too and sound so amazing sung by one of my heros Chris Martin. I love the track altogether. I think Jonny, Guy, Will and Chris's musical talents are shown in this song, it's stupendous.

What impact has Coldplay had on me? To me, Coldplay are not just a band I like to listen to, they are my lifestyle. They influence the way I dress, my room is a shrine to Coldplay, I could quote lyrics to people all day, they even inspired me to play piano/keyboard, my list is endless. The thing I am most grateful for from them however is the music they make for reasons I'm not even sure of myself yet, I just have this deep obsession with them and their music, it is wonderful.

Coldplay are an EXTREMELY popular band and have millions of fans across the world! However, although they have lots of fans, there are haters too, one in which I know, he calls them "slow, boring and depressing", he doesn't properly listen to them and the beauty of their songs and lyrics. They aren't constantly in the Top 10, but personally if they were I would be shocked because its people like Justin Bieber, One Direction and Nicki Minaj up there and to be honest that's music I completely hate.

Coldplay are my heros, my inspiration, motivation and have made me who I am.

I hope that helps, not sure if its what your looking for but hey, it's there if you want to use it :)

Hello,

I'm a masters student at Northern Illinois University and I'm taking a graduate course on pop culture. For our final paper, we must explore something in the pop culture world that has had a large impact on our lives. For me, that is Coldplay's album A Rush of Blood to the Head. I'm a big fan of the band ever since I went to my first concert of theirs in Orlando in 2006. At the time they were promoting X&Y, but it was AROBTTH that really captured my attention and I think it is their best work.

I've been a member of this forum for a few years now and I would love to hear what you, my fellow fans, have to say about AROBTTH.

Specifically,

I want to thank any and all of you who decide to answer on here, and I will use some of your responses in my paper.

- Zac

Maybe you should rephrase the first question because it already contains a personal preference in there, if that makes sense. It implies that I find it their best, and I don't :P Maybe something more along the lines of: "What makes it stand out between their other records?"

I really SUCK at writing down how I feel about this band and this particular record, but I'll do my best. I hope you can use some of it.

AROBTTH combines the Coldplay we knew from Parachutes with new influences; they were a bit more adventurous, they tried more. However, they still stayed true to themselves and I think you can hear that in the record. The songs have this honesty in them, and openness. It makes them vulnerable, but powerful and stronger at the same time. I have a personal connection to each song on this record and I will never get tired of listening to it. Ever. I absolutely love it.

It's difficult to pick a favorite, since I love them all. But if I had to choose one, it'd be (how cliche) The Scientist. It describes feelings that everybody can relate to in their own way, and that's probably the biggest strength of this song. Personally, I link it to a past relationship and health issues that my father had 2 years ago. The Scientist has helped me through very difficult times, and I can't imagine what it would've been like without it.

It's actually a very simple song in terms of the music itself, but the simplicity of it is what makes it so beautiful. In combination with the lyrics it becomes a real tearjerker :lol: Finally being able to experience it live in December and September made it even more special.. I think overwhelming is the word to describe what it felt like. It felt like he was singing it just for me, that he knew what I had gone through. Not many songs can accomplish that, especially in a live performance.

A huge impact. Like I mentioned above, Coldplay's music has helped me through some rough patches in the past. They helped me deal with emotions I hadn't experienced before in situations that were new to me. The songs just matched my life at that time. But before I get stuck on the negative side of things: Coldplay has a place in some of the best moments of my life as well! They're basically the soundtrack of my life :lol:

Other than that, I met some amazing friends on Coldplaying. I've been active on here since December '11, and in that time I met some truly amazing people which I now cannot imagine living without. We have contact every day, and it's very nice to share this passion with people who love them as much as you do!

They show all the Biebers and Minaj's that it's actually still possible to make GOOD music:lol: Coldplay do what they want; they write and compose everything themselves and perform it with enthusiasm. I think that's what makes them such a great band: they stick together and keep it real! I think they left us with some of the best albums and singles of the past decade, and they'll probably be remembered for that. Songs like Clocks and Yellow will still be played in 20 years. Nicki Minaj hopefully will not :lol:

Good luck on your paper!! :)

Reworded question 1: What distinguishes AROBTTH from other Coldplay albums?

It if the follow up from their first album Parachutes. It is slightly more upbeat and has a totally new energy. If you compare songs from Parachutes, for example, Trouble to AROBTTH song like Politik, the band have created a totally new atmosphere.