May 3, 200422 yr Why in the english news when they are talking about the settlers in the Gaza strip and West Bank....they always say "...the Jewish settlers..." ...... why don't they say the Israelies or the Hebrew, since maybe not all of them are Jews....... :confused: or that's just an english generality thing? :/
May 3, 200422 yr :/ i dunno i guess it's cos in the 40s israel was created for all the jews hu were left homeless after the 2nd world war and they were all just put there. i guess they just presume evryone is jewish.
May 3, 200422 yr Author I know that part, but everyone is Jewish or a Jew...... I thought it was one of those generality things that english people, or the language has......... like you make no difference between a phrase with a verb or a phrase without a verb; but we, for exampe, make the difference..... I could be wrong though!
May 3, 200422 yr sternly's talking out of her ass again sternly's talking out of her ass again sternly's talking out of her ass again sternly's talking out of her ass again sternly's talking out of her ass again
May 3, 200422 yr oh cool did you learn that word today you try and fit in but you use words that no one knows :idea2:
May 3, 200422 yr Why in the english news when they are talking about the settlers in the Gaza strip and West Bank....they always say "...the Jewish settlers..." ...... why don't they say the Israelies or the Hebrew, since maybe not all of them are Jews....... :confused: or that's just an english generality thing? :/ from what i understand when they are talking about those people, those are the jewish settlers living in the Gaza Strip or West Bank. otherwise they will say palestinians or arabs. i may be wrong though.
May 3, 200422 yr Author Why in the english news when they are talking about the settlers in the Gaza strip and West Bank....they always say "...the Jewish settlers..." ...... why don't they say the Israelies or the Hebrew, since maybe not all of them are Jews....... :confused: or that's just an english generality thing? :/ from what i understand when they are talking about those people, those are the jewish settlers living in the Gaza Strip or West Bank. otherwise they will say palestinians or arabs. i may be wrong though. I'm not arguing that...... I mean is like shouldn't they speak about the Israelies or Hebrews ..... like in general, because not all of them are Jews! It's just like a silly thing to ask, I know, but english seems to generalise everything :confused:
May 3, 200422 yr guyputsasmileuponmyface is right, they aren't generalizing. if they say jewish settlers then they are jewish settlers...
May 3, 200422 yr Author But I can be a settle but not be Jewish.. a Jew (I always have trouble choosing which one to use!) It's like putting all in a bag! yes, that's it!
May 3, 200422 yr but if they were hindu they wud call them hindi settlers of if they were christian they would call them christian settlers......wouldn't they?
May 3, 200422 yr but if they were hindu they wud call them hindi settlers of if they were christian they would call them christian settlers......wouldn't they? YES!!!! you are correct. in Israel not everybody is Jewish, which is why they are called Israelis and not Jewish people.
May 3, 200422 yr yeah just like in every other country lol :rolleyes: man i really don't understand what's being asked here!
May 4, 200422 yr I think what Carla means is that she knows not everyone over here is Jewish, but why are they called on the media "Jewish" instead of "Israeli"? I have to admit I've been wondering the same thing :idea2:
May 4, 200422 yr but we are discussing two different things when the media says jewish settlers in the west bank, they are actual jewish people. are they not? when they talk about people that reside in israel they say israelis...
May 4, 200422 yr Author I've always heard about them as Jews........ never as Israelies, never, ever....... but that was the first example that came to my mind! (plus I still think the settlers are Israelies, not Jews all the time...... think so though!)
Create an account or sign in to comment