✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Manchester M.E.N October 2002

Rob W

Just wondering who was at the October 2002 MEN Gig, i was there and remember it being superb, although the album was still pretty new so the songs were not as familiar, clocks hadnt been a hit by then, neither had god put a smile...... infact i think the only hit at that time was In My place.

I remember MTV being there and heard that it was being shown on MTV either live or the day after, has anyone seen it? i Missed it and only heard about it after it was too late :(

Every so often it's shown on MTV2 every so often...i bet they have a coldplay weekend at some pointcloser towards the album release and show it. it was an excellent show though...i thought...but, i remember reading this review from the bcc website:

There is still something lacking in their performance. They are like a teenage striker thrust into the Premiership, holding their own but showing their naivety every so often. One day they will be up among the stadium rock greats like U2 and Oasis, but that day is yet to come.

It was, to pull the footballing analogy further along, a concert of two halves, mainly down to the fact that the assembled masses were simply waiting to singalong to Yellow from the start.

That's the punters that stadium gigs attract and that's the reason why Coldplay aren't there yet. When they have recorded a few more albums, they will be able to drop the album fillers like Daylight and Green Eyes from the show and everyone will be able to sing and sway from start to finish.

When this could happen, Coldplay looked every bit as if they deserved to be on an arena stage. In front of four screens and on a stage edged with blue lights, Chris Martin (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the band) took a while to get going.

From the opening punch of Politik, the gig looked set to drag, particularly when Martin stopped a shimmering Trouble to request a singalong, something that destroyed the glory of the tune in one swoop.

But from the hilarious cover of Nelly's Hot In Herre onwards, the show began to produce, soaring with the undeniably glorious Yellow (with the crowd lifting the roof in response), stunning with the heart-wrenchingly gorgeous The Scientist, and showing the band's glory in the soon to be classics, A Rush Of Blood To The Head and In My Place.

Singalongs, screams and unbridled adoration. The sell-out crowd at the MEN Arena believe that Coldplay, with only a handful of hits and great tunes behind them, have made it. The truth, however, is a little below that mark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/music/2002/10/12/coldplay_review.shtml [that's the source of it]

Just wondering who was at the October 2002 MEN Gig, i was there and remember it being superb, although the album was still pretty new so the songs were not as familiar, clocks hadnt been a hit by then, neither had god put a smile...... infact i think the only hit at that time was In My place.

I remember MTV being there and heard that it was being shown on MTV either live or the day after, has anyone seen it? i Missed it and only heard about it after it was too late :(

I was middle front row standing :cool3:

I was middle front row standing :cool3:

Really! you lucky thing! i was sitting but still had a good view.

Thanks for that review gas_man, i can understand what the reviewer is saying, because it was an early gig on the tour, and Hits such as Clocks hadnt sufaced as mainstream by that time.