✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jonny's Tele...

Eagle131

• 2 weeks later...
and what about his 2 Classic Thinline Tele's ('69 & 72')?

Are they Japanese or Mexican?

I'm gonna buy one as my second guitar

Fender didn't open factories in Japan and Mexico until the 80s, and I don't think Jonny's Thinlines are reissues so it's more than likely that they're USA-made.

edit - don't know when they stopped producing Thinlines originally though, so they could be Japanese

I don't think he plays '69s either - I've only ever seen him with '72s (Sunburst, brown (I think) and his new natural one)

i think i read on the official site's equipment list that they were Japanese

The gear list on the official site just lists the Thinlines as "Vintage Fender Thinline Telecasters (x2)". It lists the blue Tele as "Japanese Fender Telecaster" though, so you might be thinking of that.

and what about his 2 Classic Thinline Tele's ('69 & 72')?

Are they Japanese or Mexican?

I'm gonna buy one as my second guitar

Fender didn't open factories in Japan and Mexico until the 80s, and I don't think Jonny's Thinlines are reissues so it's more than likely that they're USA-made.

edit - don't know when they stopped producing Thinlines originally though, so they could be Japanese

I don't think he plays '69s either - I've only ever seen him with '72s (Sunburst, brown (I think) and his new natural one)

I've talked to some people and they say Fender don't produce experimental series in USA. And thinline is an experimental (relaunched in 1998-1999).

Also there is a version that mexican guitars have better quality, than japanese. So Jonny may prefer mexican, doesn't he?

I've talked to some people and they say Fender don't produce experimental series in USA. And thinline is an experimental (relaunched in 1998-1999).

Also there is a version that mexican guitars have better quality, than japanese. So Jonny may prefer mexican, doesn't he?

They might not any more, but Fender definitely made Thinlines in the US in the seventies - they've got an original at my local guitar shop (link). I guess the whole thing hinges on whether Jonny's Thinlines are originals or reissues. I reckon they're originals, but I could be wrong. He was playing a black one on Jools Holland last night, which I've never seen before.

I play a Mexican Thinline and it's a stunning guitar so I've certainly got nothing against MIM guitars - just don't know if Jonny feels the same way :)

They might not any more' date=' but Fender definitely made Thinlines in the US in the seventies - they've got an original at my local guitar shop (link). I guess the whole thing hinges on whether Jonny's Thinlines are originals or reissues. I reckon they're originals, but I could be wrong. He was playing a black one on Jools Holland last night, which I've never seen before.

I play a Mexican Thinline and it's a stunning guitar so I've certainly got nothing against MIM guitars - just don't know if Jonny feels the same way :)

Anyway, mexican and japanese cost almost the same (~1050 here) so i don't think there is a big difference. It depends on a particular model.

did you change anything in your mexican? I've heard that mexican have not so good electronics

Originals are too expensive))

I owe Schecter USA 'S' Custom Shop and I don't think I'll sell it in a nearest future. It's unique and I took my chance to buy it for a half-price.

New it costs about $2050

So I think about Tele Thinline as my second guitar.

Before Schecter I had Peaver Cropper Mahagoni Tele.

And I miss it...there were other advantages...)

did you change anything in your mexican? I've heard that mexican have not so good electronics

I haven't had to do anything to it yet (had it about a year and used very frequently). The only thing that annoys me is the horrible jack cup - it's the same one as every other Tele and it comes unscrewed very easily. I'm going to replace it with an Electrosocket soon.

I haven't had to do anything to it yet (had it about a year and used very frequently). The only thing that annoys me is the horrible jack cup - it's the same one as every other Tele and it comes unscrewed very easily. I'm going to replace it with an Electrosocket soon.

hm...maybe you just need to push a cable through your strap... usually helps to avoid such things...for example when you jump and accidentally step on it...

sometimes there are problems inside jack...it's much worse and annoys with noise, cause cable is now fixed well

hm...maybe you just need to push a cable through your strap... usually helps to avoid such things...for example when you jump and accidentally step on it...

sometimes there are problems inside jack...it's much worse and annoys with noise, cause cable is now fixed well

I already put my cable through my strap - it's not the jack socket itself that's the problem, it's the way it's attached. The little flat nut-type-thing unscrews itself from the jack very easily. With the Electrosocket, the jack is screwed into the jack cup itself instead of held in by a nut. I've already put one in another guitar and it works a treat.

I already put my cable through my strap - it's not the jack socket itself that's the problem, it's the way it's attached. The little flat nut-type-thing unscrews itself from the jack very easily. With the Electrosocket, the jack is screwed into the jack cup itself instead of held in by a nut. I've already put one in another guitar and it works a treat.

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll have to put it, too)

johnnys thinlines are vintage and are both 72s. Hes got a sunburst and a natural. he used thos on the AROBTTH tour and i think he may of had a brown one on the dvd. but he definitley has a sunburst and natural. Recently on the Jools Holland show he plaed a black thinline on white shadows though,

• 7 years later...
johnnys thinlines are vintage and are both 72s. Hes got a sunburst and a natural. he used thos on the AROBTTH tour and i think he may of had a brown one on the dvd. but he definitley has a sunburst and natural. Recently on the Jools Holland show he plaed a black thinline on white shadows though,

i have no idea how old this thread is but just in case you're still wondering:

jonny has a 74' sunburst finnish, called "Sunny" which is his favorite guitar of all time. this is the first ever thinline that he has ever owned, he mostly uses it for studio work, but at the last part of the MX tour he also used it on stage for song like the scientist, in my place, poc, yellow, up in flames and warning sign.

a 77 black finnish, called "blacky" this guitar was used on the x&y tour, viva album and viva tour, this was the one with "VIVA" painted on the pickguard, howerver it was sold on an auction back in 2010.

a 74' walnut finnish, this one is a rather special guitar, extremely rare, and extremely good!

this guitar is mostly used for the slide songs (AROBTTH) and song where jonny has to play very fast (DLIBYH), and that is all due to the very small frets on it.

jonny has used it since AROBTTH tour, and is stil using in both studio and on stage.

a 72' natural finnish, this one has been used since the X&Y tour, it appears in the video for fix you... it was used for many songs but later on only used on 42, due to the song's weird #FFFFFF tuning...

jonny also has a number of reissues of this guitar, mostly used for backstage warm up.

he also has a "non-thinline" JD tele in lake placid blue, which was used on "Parachutes" (album and tour), and on "AROBTTH" (also album and tour).

however, he hasn't used i since, now he uses it as a warm up guitar...

hope this help's ;)

cheers

i have no idea how old this thread is but just in case you're still wondering:

jonny has a 74' sunburst finnish, called "Sunny" which is his favorite guitar of all time. this is the first ever thinline that he has ever owned, he mostly uses it for studio work, but at the last part of the MX tour he also used it on stage for song like the scientist, in my place, poc, yellow, up in flames and warning sign.

a 77 black finnish, called "blacky" this guitar was used on the x&y tour, viva album and viva tour, this was the one with "VIVA" painted on the pickguard, howerver it was sold on an auction back in 2010.

a 74' walnut finnish, this one is a rather special guitar, extremely rare, and extremely good!

this guitar is mostly used for the slide songs (AROBTTH) and song where jonny has to play very fast (DLIBYH), and that is all due to the very small frets on it.

jonny has used it since AROBTTH tour, and is stil using in both studio and on stage.

a 72' natural finnish, this one has been used since the X&Y tour, it appears in the video for fix you... it was used for many songs but later on only used on 42, due to the song's weird #FFFFFF tuning...

jonny also has a number of reissues of this guitar, mostly used for backstage warm up.

he also has a "non-thinline" JD tele in lake placid blue, which was used on "Parachutes" (album and tour), and on "AROBTTH" (also album and tour).

however, he hasn't used i since, now he uses it as a warm up guitar...

hope this help's ;)

cheers

That's a necropost if I've ever seen one, but a good one nonetheless.