✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I noticed...

Chris Maritn

I noticed one thing today, the most of the people playing an instrument here on the Coldplaying forum is taking lessons!

I’ve played the guitar since i was 11 yrs old and I’ve never had any form for a teacher. Maybe i learned the basic chords by my music teacher (at school) when i just started, but nothing more than that!

So i have a friend that's been going to a teacher for about 3 years.

And every single time we are playing together, I’m the one teaching him!

It’s taking weeks for him to learn a song that I learn in a minute!

I’m just asking watt’s the negative and the positive in taking lessons?

What do you get from a teacher that you don’t get from a book?

I know what you mean! I went to "Guitar Club" after school once a week for 3 years from the ages of 9 -11 and thats what got me started on guitar. Then I just carried on by myself and I am pretty good now. My argument would be that without a teacher you can go at your own pace and personally I think it is more satisfying to do it yourself!

Without a teacher you won't get any recognition for you hard work, you can go at your own pace at home, and still have a teacher. This way, your teacher can set you up for the exams, because like it or not, if you don't have proof that you are level ***, then you won't get into any sort of music school, or any music program at a post secondary school.

If you heard of the band called the darkness (off course you have) booth guitarist has always learned them self’s, and they are good! So i just wondering if it’s necessary start taking lessons when i don’t think i need it?

And another thing.. Do you guys know ho to read notes? Do you learn that in the guitar lessons, ore do you just read tabs?

You will learn on sheet music (or at least you should). If you end up taking lessons, make sure you learn how to read music off of a staff, or you might as well teach yourself from a book.

Like I said above, there are some thnigs you can learn for yourself, but there are also things that you need to be taught to learn properly.

Im a pianist and a violinist, and personally taking lessons have come along way from 6-7 years of playing. Its always a great thing to take lessons, because you have someone there to give you advice on how to improve, instead of going by your own judgement. Learning how to read by yourself is fine, but when you have a teacher to polish it, the process goes much faster.

i agree with motoi, i had lessons for violin, and piano for a little bit because it was compulsory at my school for piano lessons. if you have a teacher, you push yourself more i guess and you learn much quicker. if you go to lessons and practice alot then the process is much quicker.

^Good luck ;)

I'm trying to learn the piano by myself, and it's hard.

I guess I’m not trying my best.

I got my keyboard for a year ago, and i can do one song (trouble).

Just one single song :confused:¨

I’m not as motivated as i should be.

Any suggestions off a essay way to learn the basic?