✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Six reasons why I don’t buy CDs at the store anymore…

brookeburkesluvr

reasons i buy cd's at the store:

1. i can tell the difference between a cd-quality track and an mp3

2. i like having artwork, production credits, etc

3. i actually listen to entire albums and not just the radio songs

4. i usually am not looking for something specific; i like browsing and checking out new things on a whim

5. most of the artists i listen to are NOT living in a mansion lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills, and most of them are NOT on major labels that pay them a dollar for every cd they sell (which is the going rate for most major label artists, not 12 cents or whatever some people would have you believe). if you've ever seen godspeed you! black emperor's touring caravan (including 9 band members, all their equipment and several technicians that they pay for) you'd buy their albums instead of downloading them.

a little something about basic capitalistic concepts:

the actual cd may indeed cost one dollar to produce. however, it's not as simple as that. things that also need to be paid for:

- recording studio time for these bands

- royalties to band members for the actual composition

- royalties to band members and whoever was involved in the recording process for the sound recording

- promotion

- in-store displays and whatnot

also, if a record store wants to sell, say, the new radiohead album, they have to buy the cd's from the record label, then charge more than that so that they don't immediately go out of business. it sounds almost painfully obvious, but some people fail to realize that.

I agree with all your reasns for buying CDs in the store. I actually buy a ton of CDs in the store each month.

But the record labels are still raping us, plain and simple. All of the points you note under the "capitalistic concepts" do not justify a $15-$18 charge at the record store. It just doesn't add up at all in any form. THIS sounds almost painfully obvious and it's funny that people seriously think that CDs HAVE to cost $17. That's ridiculous.

If CDs HAD to cost $17 then you would never see a $9.99 CD. But you do. You see them all the time now. Labels produce CDs from their catalogue specifically for "Supersaver" prices. You think they're doing that and taking a loss? No way. not all CDs can be $9.99, but no CD should be $17.99.

Your CDs are $17 because that's what people have been shown they're willing to pay for them. Demand for CDs went up, up, up and then the internet hit households and people had alternatives. CD burners were in every computer. Windows made it easy for the home user to create digital audio files. Rather than realize there was now competition and ratchet down the prices, the record industry started campaigning and suing. It sounds like you're buying into it.

You're lying yourself if you've convinced yourself that they need to charge that much.

You people are missing the point, if you always download music and never purchase it there will be no reason for CDs to be made. There are some musicians that are very wealthy and have more money than they know what to do with, but there are still smaller indie bands that need people to buy their albums to get more popular.

BUY CDs.

Don't you like holding a real CD opposed to a burned one? Don't you like reading a CD booklet and looking for lyrics and pictures and all that? It's a dying art form and I will be so sad if it goes extinct!

No, I think you're missing the point.

There are very few people who want to get rid of CDs. Nobody is "never" going to purchase a CD. If CDs were cheaper, more in line with their cost, people would buy them.

You can't take an assymetrical hypothetical like never buying CDs, extrapolate it and call it a viable argument.

yes i did overexagerate my point but i still don't think that the best way for the consumer to prove that cd prices are too high is by downloading them off the internet. i'm not opposed to people who download their music, i am just upset with the people that think it is ok to not pay any money and only download their favourite songs.

i actually have no problem if somebody downloads 50 cents latest album, but i do have a problem with somebody who downloads interpol's album.

actually, the reason you see a $10 cd is so that you get drawn in to buy that, then buy something else that will make the record store a profit. record stores lose a ton of money every time they sell a release for 10 bucks, and most of them aren't going to be doing that for much longer.

you're right, they don't HAVE to cost $17-18, and we are getting screwed, but not as badly as you might think.

actually, the reason you see a $10 cd is so that you get drawn in to buy that, then buy something else that will make the record store a profit. record stores lose a ton of money every time they sell a release for 10 bucks, and most of them aren't going to be doing that for much longer.

you're right, they don't HAVE to cost $17-18, and we are getting screwed, but not as badly as you might think.

Very true, stores like Best Buy will have CDs on sale for $10 because they know once you are in the store you will be tempted to buy something else to go along with your $10 CD.

i buy cds.

just to say i have them and for the cover sleaves and booklets. i'll admit to downloading music just to see if it's worth buying but that is it, but i get it if it's available on the official site of the band. i can't share files anyways. my stupid school put up a firewall. plus at home i have a slow connection, so it's not worth waiting forever for a song to download.

would you burn a cd then go to their concert and have the artist sign it for you?

:lol:

that be so funny

Very true, stores like Best Buy will have CDs on sale for $10 because they know once you are in the store you will be tempted to buy something else to go along with your $10 CD.

over here the new releases are as low as 8 dollars. then the price is brought up later.

thats ridiculous the artists dont get cheated out of money by the people who download stuff its the record companies that cheat the artists. i'll buy cds but if i can find it on kazaa i'll get it through there. i havent bought a cd in like a year ahah. but anyways why would you want to listen to 30 seconds of the song when you can get the whole thing on a file share service? its always the bad 30 seconds of the song anyway but you may like it if you hear the whole thing...

am i the only one that thinks like this?

I agree completely! DOWN WITH THE RIAA!! The way it works is the artists sells to the record company who sells to stores who sell to people. The Artists are the least if at all affected by downloading music. I've really only bought two cds the rest I either burned got for free or was given. They overprice CDs so much it is really ridiculous. The Cd costs less than a dollar so what they are selling is music. You can't sell music... thats just wrong. I could understand if they wanted a dollar or two extra for their troubles, but thats not good enough for them. The RIAA is pure 3Vi1!!!

or for example, there's songs i like from the artist that aren't on the album i buy, for example, i bought more than you think you are by matchbox twenty and some of there older songs, push, if you're gone, 3am, real world, back 2 good, arent on there, so, i burn the actual more than you think you are album with the other songs and just use it like a regular cd, cause i love having the booklet and the actual cd case so thats why i wouldnt just burn it.

You people are missing the point, if you always download music and never purchase it there will be no reason for CDs to be made. There are some musicians that are very wealthy and have more money than they know what to do with, but there are still smaller indie bands that need people to buy their albums to get more popular.

BUY CDs.

Don't you like holding a real CD opposed to a burned one? Don't you like reading a CD booklet and looking for lyrics and pictures and all that? It's a dying art form and I will be so sad if it goes extinct!

No, I think you're missing the point.

There are very few people who want to get rid of CDs. Nobody is "never" going to purchase a CD. If CDs were cheaper, more in line with their cost, people would buy them.

You can't take an assymetrical hypothetical like never buying CDs, extrapolate it and call it a viable argument.

yes i did overexagerate my point but i still don't think that the best way for the consumer to prove that cd prices are too high is by downloading them off the internet. i'm not opposed to people who download their music, i am just upset with the people that think it is ok to not pay any money and only download their favourite songs.

i actually have no problem if somebody downloads 50 cents latest album, but i do have a problem with somebody who downloads interpol's album.

The only way Cds will be extinct is if a better format comes along. Is everybody crying about the fact that you can't go to the typical music store and buy a vinyl record anymore? No. It was fun while it lasted, but imagine having a damn vinyl record-changer in the trunk of your car. Not happenin'. As for 'supporting' the artist, well too many artists have "filler" on their CDs. I think it's perfectly fair to pay my hard-earned dosh just for those tracks which appeal to me. It's not like ordering a meal at a restaurant where you HAVE to pay for the whole meal, even if you only really liked the chicken. If every track moves me, then I'll pay for every track. If not, then don't rip me off. Nobody's throwing money at me for every creative idea that pops into my head, so why should I have to support the "help us get rich & famous fund" for every wanna be star who puts out a decent tune? Hell, I play guitar and write songs too. Maybe that's why I have no sympathy.