✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Let lessons begin: 'Million-to-one' black and white twins Marcia and Millie off to school for the ve

mc_squared

Let lessons begin: 'Million-to-one' black and white twins Marcia and Millie off to school for the very first time

By Andy Dolan

Last updated at 3:53 AM on 14th September 2010

When twins Marcia and Millie Biggs start school today, the teachers will have no trouble telling them apart.

In a million to one chance, Marcia was born with their mother Amanda’s fair complexion and golden brown hair, while Millie takes after their father – who is of Jamaican origin – with her tight curls and darker skin.

The four-year-olds were pictured as they tried on uniforms before their first day at Osborne Junior and Infant School in Erdington, Birmingham.

article-1311533-0B29C8AA000005DC-4_634x617.jpg Sisters in arms: Million to one twins Marcia (left) and Millie are all set for their first day at school

Their mother Amanda, 42, says people still can't believe the pair are twin sisters - including their old nursery teachers.

Amanda, a former Argos worker from Erdington, Birmingham, said: 'When they were growing up Millie was more timid and clingy and if anyone came to say hello she would take a while to say anything, but over the last couple of years she has come out of her shell a bit.

'Marcia is a bit bossier and is a bit more outgoing - she's a cheeky little monkey.

'Everybody is always amazed by how beautiful they have both become, and people still just can't believe they're related, let alone sisters.

More...

'I still get the same puzzled looks and questions just like I did three years ago.

'Even teachers at nursery refused to believe they were sisters.

'A couple could of the staff could see they were related, but some just wouldn't have it - but I've become used to that after four years.

'Millie has become a little bit darker, and her hair is curlier and tighter, whereas Marcia's hair is more of a golden brown.

Enlarge article-1311533-0B29B59F000005DC-790_634x566.jpg Proud parents: The twins with their mother and father Amanda and Michael

'Most parents say they can't wait for their kids to go to school, and even though I was really proud of them, I couldn't stop crying because I had spent so much time with them both.

'I've devoted my whole life to looking after them and I've treasured seeing them grow up.

'Millie will be more observant, but it will also take her longer to get to know people, whereas Marcia will go with the flow and be a bit more aware.

'They both love their reading and Marcia loves her 'Dora the Explorer' books, so they should both settle in well.'

Amanda and Michael, a panel beater, had been together 10 years when they conceived the girls through IVF treatment.

Amanda said they are hoping to conceive again soon - but would like to have a baby boy to add to their unique brood.

Michael, 43, said: 'When people see them they often do double takes because they can't believe what they're seeing.

'The girls are looking forward to it. They have different personalities and Marcia liked to think she was in charge while they were at nursery, but Millie was the bossy one at home.

'Hopefully they will feed off each other and really enjoy themselves.

'One of the girls will try to do something naughty and we will say 'no', so the other will try it instead - they are just like normal twins in that they are both double trouble.'

Michelle Gay, Head teacher of Osborne Infant and Primary School, said: 'As Osborne Primary is an inclusive school where we celebrate and appreciate all differences, Millie and Marcia will be made to feel extremely welcome and special in our school family.

'Whilst nurturing the special bond that exists between both girls as twins, we will also support each of them and anticipate their individual success.'

Back in July another set of miraculous black and white twins, Kaydon and Layton Richardson, celebrated their fourth birthday.

The boys were born 20 minutes apart in 2006, with fair-skinned Layton born before Kaydon, who was much darker.

At the time international clinical geneticist Dr Stephen Withers said the likelihood of their mother Kerry, who is mixed race, having eggs that were predominantly for one skin colour was rare enough, let alone releasing two of them simultaneously and producing twins.

'It's probably a million to one chance,' he declared.

article-1311533-01119876000004B0-207_634x738.jpg Amazing twins: Marcia (left) and Millie (right) pictured on their first birthday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311533/Black-white-twins-Sisters-Marcia-Millie-Biggs-set-day-school.html#ixzz0zUdwvFzp