✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press – 6 mins ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A bill passed Friday by the Tennessee Senate would forbid public school teachers and students in grades kindergarten through eight from discussing the fact that some people are gay.

Opponents deride the measure as the "don't say gay bill." They say it's unfair to the children of gay parents and could lead to more bullying. Supporters say it is intended to give teachers clear guidance for dealing with younger children on a potentially explosive topic.

The bill isn't likely to be taken up by the House before lawmakers adjourn this spring, but the sponsor there has said he would push it forward in 2012 when the General Assembly comes back for the second year of the session.

Passage would make Tennessee the first state to enact such legislation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In 2003, Washington defeated a proposal similar to Tennessee's, as did California in 2005 and 2006. A Louisiana law forbids the use of sexually explicit materials depicting homosexuality in sex education classes.

Under the proposal, any instruction or materials at a public elementary or middle school would be limited to age-appropriate lessons about the science of human reproduction.

The legislation was amended from the original version, which said no elementary or middle schools will "provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality." Republican Senate sponsor Stacey Campfield of Knoxville said some of his colleagues were uncomfortable with that language.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat," Campfield said after the vote. "I got what I wanted."

He said the language is appropriate because "homosexuals don't naturally reproduce," and he said it's necessary because the state's curriculum is unclear on what can be taught.

However, a critic said the new wording could create other problems.

Sen. Roy Herron, D- Dresden, said it "may inadvertently prevent the teaching of ethics, morality and abstinence."

Stephen Smith, assistant commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Education, also said he's unaware of homosexuality being taught anywhere in the state. He said there is nothing in the state's curriculum standards that allows students to be taught about homosexuality.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_tennessee_schools_sexuality

I think this is ridiculous for them to pass a law like this. With kids at that age absorbing everything they can, it's just making them completely ignorant of others. How people can actually pass these kinds of bills or have that way of thinking is beyond me.

Unbearable. If something's to the possibility of rebirth, I'm choosing not to be born on this planet again. Heaven knows how much I love

this planet itself with all it's wonders, but I'm so incredibly tired of the delusional crowd that makes the masses of us humans.

Couldn't you organise a march in NYC, to show solidarity with the gays of Minnesota? I strongly believe the cool/warmhearted of us all should take to the street more often and show our solidarity. You know, I think it would have a tremendous impact. And not just the gays from the Village, but people like you, Mike. People of all sorts in support for the gay/lesbian minority. Good lord, the rednecks suck so much...

haha! I think that there will be a lot of people around the country that will be against this, as well as people for it.

But I think it's terrible for these stupid congress people to be so ignorant. And it's not just on the topic of banning the teaching of homosexuality. It's the ethical principal of the whole situation. Why should we be censoring our children to be learning about the world around us? Just because we think it's for their own good? It's so stupid. What is good for our children is to teach them as much as we can from all angles and then let them make their decision in life what is right based on facts. In the end all that censoring any topic whether it be on this topic or in terms of political issues or religions or cultures is just making people ignorant and stupid.

Also another issue is the fact that it's our elected officials that are telling the teachers what to teach. That's another ethical issue. It's not the governments role to tell us what we can or cannot read or learn about (which is essentially what this is). If anything it's the role of the parents to teach and influence their children whether it be for bad or good

haha! I think that there will be a lot of people around the country that will be against this, as well as people for it.

But I think it's terrible for these stupid congress people to be so ignorant. And it's not just on the topic of banning the teaching of homosexuality. It's the ethical principal of the whole situation. Why should we be censoring our children to be learning about the world around us? Just because we think it's for their own good? It's so stupid. What is good for our children is to teach them as much as we can from all angles and then let them make their decision in life what is right based on facts. In the end all that censoring any topic whether it be on this topic or in terms of political issues or religions or cultures is just making people ignorant and stupid.

Also another issue is the fact that it's our elected officials that are telling the teachers what to teach. That's another ethical issue. It's not the governments role to tell us what we can or cannot read or learn about (which is essentially what this is). If anything it's the role of the parents to teach and influence their children whether it be for bad or good

Let's concentrate on this!

Regarding the rest: I seriously don't know what to say to that ongoing senseless madness.

And you're right, there are enough people who endorse such politics to make you and your pile of co-marchers feel very miserable.

But it would still be the nicest thing to do.

As we see from certain elements from this board ( and no, I'm NOT refering to Nathan), stupidity prevails, no matter how nice or logical or

scurrilous and angered you'll try to reach them. That's so annoying. :bigcry: