✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

University advice

MyloXyloTom

Linguistics. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

I can't give you any advice, though, because I don't know how good those universities are. But here are some questions I'd ask myself when deciding between the unis: Have you ever visited either of them? Do they have a student messageboard on their website where you could ask about the student life, modules etc.? Would living in London be too expensive to manage, despite the loan? What's the tuition fee vs. quality ratio? How many modules can you choose and how many are core modules?

You might wanna check the league tables if you haven't already done that but I'd say York is probably the most prestigious one. Don't just look at general league tables also look at the ones for your subject.

Having said that, it's really important that you're actually happy with your uni course and I think it's important that you actually like the city. You should definitely try to visit all of these places.

Also look at the course description because it really matters where you're going.

I haven't been to any of those universities but I know someone who went to Queen Mary and he loved it there.

London is a great place to study but it is very expensive. QM is part of the University of London so you'll probably have access to the libraries of the other universities and you can also go to the British Library. I'm not gonna lie though, I haven't been to any of the other university libraries but I will probably use them when I'm writing my dissertation.

Good luck with your decision!

You might wanna check the league tables if you haven't already done that but I'd say York is probably the most prestigious one. Don't just look at general league tables also look at the ones for your subject.

Having said that, it's really important that you're actually happy with your uni course and I think it's important that you actually like the city. You should definitely try to visit all of these places.

Also look at the course description because it really matters where you're going.

I haven't been to any of those universities but I know someone who went to Queen Mary and he loved it there.

London is a great place to study but it is very expensive. QM is part of the University of London so you'll probably have access to the libraries of the other universities and you can also go to the British Library. I'm not gonna lie though, I haven't been to any of the other university libraries but I will probably use them when I'm writing my dissertation.

Good luck with your decision!

Yeah, I've looked at quite a few league tables, and Lancaster rates highest overall (marginally above York, although York holds greater prestige), ranking in the top 10, with Queen Mary usually around the 30 mark. But QM is aiming to be a top 10 uni by 2015 and is really only held back by the entry standards (it's ranked top of research in many subjects).

In terms of living costs, that's definitely the one big thing going against QM. But being East London, it's relatively cheap compared to the rest of the city, and the fact that it's the only campus uni in London (cheaper accommodation and transport) means that my London-rate loan should go a little further (especially with the job opportunities).

Yeah, I've looked at quite a few league tables, and Lancaster rates highest overall (marginally above York, although York holds greater prestige), ranking in the top 10, with Queen Mary usually around the 30 mark. But QM is aiming to be a top 10 uni by 2015 and is really only held back by the entry standards (it's ranked top of research in many subjects).

In terms of living costs, that's definitely the one big thing going against QM. But being East London, it's relatively cheap compared to the rest of the city, and the fact that it's the only campus uni in London (cheaper accommodation and transport) means that my London-rate loan should go a little further (especially with the job opportunities).

Interesting. They're probably about the same then?

Do you think you're gonna live on campus for three years though? Because I think most people live in a shared housesin their second and third year. It might be different if it's a campus uni though, I don't really know. If you are gonna use the tube, it's very expensive. I paid £780 for the year, I think. I don't live close to my uni because the area is very expensive (Bloomsbury) and most people who live in student accommodation that is close to my uni pay about £170 a week.

Anyway feel free to ask me if you got any questions about living and studying in London.

You might wanna check out the student room. You can get quite useful advice there but most people on there are a bit obsessed with league tables.

• 10 years later...