✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A letter to Asma al-Assad, which you could sign here.

Gautama

A great idea of two UN-Ambassadors' wives, I think. You might have read about it already. Asma al- Assad's behaviour during the ongoing Syrian bloodshed has been quite irritating, since she once claimed and portrayed herself as being all for a modern, free and just way of running things in Syria.

If you share that irritation, you could follow this link and sign it, but please- as always- read it carefully and make up your mind first. You can also tick an option where you may sign anonymously, which I'd advise for the younger of you.

Personally, I regard it to be a splendid way of politely reaching out to Asma herself, confront her with said irritation in a pretty straight way and ultimately hope for a reaction, which for her to ignore will be increasingly difficult in the long run, if there are thousands and thousands of people challenging her conscience publically.

If there are people from the middle East here on this board ( I for example remember Indanomati, who is from Jordan, I think?), it'd be interesting to get your take on the situation in Syria.

http://www.change.org/petitions/asma-al-assad-stop-the-bloodshed-in-syria

This is the Youtube bit of the petition. It contains graphic material, so only click if you can stomach scenes of war.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUViTShIAo]International Letter & Petition to Asma al-Assad - YouTube[/ame]

I'm Algerian. Whilst I have a few cultural and familial ties to the region, I can't identify very closely with Syria specifically.

My thoughts on this petition are the same as my thoughts on most internet campaigns against the al-Assad regime. The time for this has long passed.

Asma al-Assad knows the situation. This isn't a case of her being ignorant or unaware. I think despite the warm intentions, stuff like this is largely pointless. But I guess it is a way for people to get their voice heard which does matter in some capacity, however small it may be.

I'm Algerian. Whilst I have a few cultural and familial ties to the region, I can't identify very closely with Syria specifically.

My thoughts on this petition are the same as my thoughts on most internet campaigns against the al-Assad regime. The time for this has long passed.

Asma al-Assad knows the situation. This isn't a case of her being ignorant or unaware. I think despite the warm intentions, stuff like this is largely pointless. But I guess it is a way for people to get their voice heard which does matter in some capacity, however small it may be.

Hi Kiame, I am Valerie.

Ah, I see, you still then have a more in depth understanding of the complexities connected to the 'arab spring' than me and this forum's more caucasian/ christian backgroundish people though, I reckon.

A friend of mine who's got a lot of friends in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (both muslim/ christian Palestinians and Jews) said that they told her that the Syrian people are an incredibly ununified lot of different nationalities and clans, so initially the only feasable reason for whatever Assad's doing there possibly being to avoid an agonising neverending civil war. Well, then Bashar and Asma could enlighten the world about this. Or isn't it largely self-sustaining motifs? Quite seems so...

Yeah, there are so many petitions to sign on the net and most don't lead anywhere. But this has a fresh angle, I think. Women and mothers from around the globe wondering how you can possibly act how she does. And btw. I think most of the signing people are aware that she's aware of what's going on, which makes it the issue in the first place.

Her silence (let alone the content of those emails, which might have been legit, non?) casts a massive shadow of doubt over her love for anything STYLE and seems obscene and ultimately vulgar. People are disgusted, why not let her know openly, and give her the opportunity to explain herself. And let the people of Syria know, that we actually care? To challenge the Assads eye to eye. It's never too late, imo.

I don't think it's pointless at all when people declare their solidarity with people in danger, no matter how small the impact eventually is. And yes, even if it's only for venting the anger in the end, again- at least people care and show that they see it.

The women who started this are affiliated to high levels of international politics and its diplomatic corps. Asma might not be totally indifferent to critique from them, since that's her caste.

Hi Kiame, I am Valerie.

Nice to meet you :)

A friend of mine who's got a lot of friends in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (both muslim/ christian Palestinians and Jews) said that they told her that the Syrian people are an incredibly ununified lot of different nationalities and clans, so initially the only feasable reason for whatever Assad's doing there possibly being to avoid an agonising neverending civil war.

That's an interesting view point, and it is similar to the view some expressed during the war I grew up in. I certainly don't agree with it. I think too many people insist on creating excuses and explanations for evil. We always try to think that people are doing these bad things for actually valid reasons.

I don't think in this case, or in most cases, this is true. I think the reason the Syrian Government is doing this is 100% motivated by issues of control and power. They may very well believe they are in the right and believe they have a right to the power and without them everything would be worst - but no matter how you dress it up it's still a case of power.

As for my personal feelings, I don't take sides in things like this. The actions of the government have been completely disgusting and they certainly need to be removed - but I don't think violent religion based uprisings are the way to do it. That is what it will come down too though. The UN really can't do much and no foreign nations want to get involved in another war in the Middle East over it.

Yeah, there are so many petitions to sign on the net and most don't lead anywhere. But this has a fresh angle, I think. Women and mothers from around the globe wondering how you can possibly act how she does.

She acts the way she does because she is married to the man who is doing it. We really have no idea what her personal interpretation of the situation is - but whatever it is, she clearly doesn't care too much about it.

But maybe she does care? It is a not a woman's place to control and influence these matters. Besides, if she actually spoke out and tried to stop it - wouldn't Assad put her down? I assume he would.

But I do agree the general rhetoric behind this petition is fantastic.

And btw. I think most of the signing people are aware that she's aware of what's going on, which makes it the issue in the first place.

But the only way this letter would be truly effective is if she wasn't aware. Because she already is aware - no matter how many appeals to emotion this letter contains, she won't care. She ignores the screams of dying children shot by sniper fire. Why wouldn't she ignore this too?

Likewise! (:

I think that's always the reason regimes use as an explanation for clinging to their structures.

And it can't be denied that after an initial wave of unity in the face of opression, a people will split up again and might not be able to calm down and find peace in a carrying democracy.

But yeah, if a people is as enraged about its government as the Syrians, and that government doesn't listen, doesn't offer dialogue and reforms, than it's getting very evil.

You are right, the UN and whatever actions from the outside won't achieve anything.

As to Asma's motifs...hard to tell. To be honest, she got dodgy the moment she let herself get tapped by Bashir, like eurgh, but that's another story and doesn't help much.

I'm not sure I get your estimation of a woman's role as a first lady/ in politics generally right?

Do you personally think women can't influence anything, or do you think women in Syria do not?

I think it could be effective. It's one thing to be aware of this crazy massacre but to somehow maybe justify it and put it on inner ignore, while moving in your circles. But if other women, other mothers confront you with it as explicitly as they do here, and confront you with the great things you once said, and the responsibility you do have as a first lady, this self-defence might crack.

And if her husband has any cojones left, he should react too, because this is about him ultimately.

I'm not sure I get your estimation of a woman's role as a first lady/ in politics generally right?

Do you personally think women can't influence anything, or do you think women in Syria do not?.

I was mostly speaking about her specific context in Syria. I don't think she can really change anything. But women in general have a much lower chance of influencing politics. The only first lady who seriously impacted the world was Eleanor Roosevelt. They are rare. Most of them certainly influence and do their part - but stopping a whole campaign of bloodshed? Nah, I don't think she has the power to do that at all. Even if she did try to do something Assad's thugs would get rid of her and she'd have no where to hide because everyone knows her history, who she is and who her family is.

I truly think she is next to powerless here.

She sure is rather powerless. I still think they will discuss this, because they are increasingly isolating themselves internationally. She does have a British passport, I suppose she wouldn't want to give up on spending time in London, but how will she and her family live with this isolation? Don't underestimate peoples' wish for ties among their peer group. Times are changing, it's getting very untrendy to socialize with families just because they allegorise power, which hasn't always been so.

And the cool people who have never been corruptible to start with don't keep silent about their disgust any longer like they used to, because it felt decent to not to.

I see a shift there, a good shift, imo.

Anyhow, one should never desperately expect anything from such actions. Let's wait and see. :)