✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[17-Nov-2012] Coldplay @ Allianz Stadium, Sydney, Australia

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a time that comes around every few years, that time is when Coldplay tour. Recently they just completed their Australian leg of the Mylo Xyloto World Tour, and I of course was there! For those who know me, they know Coldplay is my favourite band, end of. This time I went to see their shows in Sydney and Brisbane, this blog is about the best week I've had since they last toured. First stop, Sydney.

I flew down to Sydney on Friday the 16th of November, James a friend I met on the previous tour was kind enough to let me stay with him while I was there, big thanks to James and Susan. I spent Friday afternoon getting myself to James' house through Sydney public transport, which is interesting for someone who never uses public transport, might I add Central Station is huge! Once I got to James' place we just chatted and caught up on the past few years since I was last down for The Temper Trap at the Hordern Pavillion, James also showed me his impressive music collection, one of the best I have ever seen. James had to go and see Grizzly Bear in the city so I tagged along and roamed the streets solo, winding up down at Circular Quay, it was raining all night, but something about a city as scenic and beautiful as Sydney in the rain makes it all the more pretty, romantic even.

I stood under the Harbour Bridge for the first time, it was a humbling moment, so massive, a truly amazing piece of architecture and engineering. There was a big cruise ship, the Carnival Spirit, never seen a ship so close, this baby was monstrous, like a floating city. I made my way around the other side toward the Opera House, out to the end where Coldplay were performed for Sunrise. It was quiet, hardly a soul around, but not so long ago would of been filled with a sea of people. I sat down there and watched as that huge cruise ship pulled out and left the Harbour, it was really cool to watch. I made my way back into the city to meet up with James and head back to his place, grabbing a Sydney kebab too, much better than any Kebab I have had in Queensland.

My alarm went off at 6:45am, I got myself ready and tackled the public transport system to Moore Park, where Allianz Stadium is for that nights Coldplay show, my first show of the tour. To my surprise, even at 7:45 I was the 34th person in the queue, I thought I was going to be first, how wrong was I. Turns out a girl named Mel was there from 2am! (Last tour the queue at Acer Arena was all of 3-4 people at 9am, but I have came to the conclusion that seeing as two of the four previous Sydney shows were announced later, which were the ones I attended, that the bulk of the die hard fans would of been seeing the other shows, hence why when I went I had thought people started queueing at around 9am and didn't realise that they actually queued up a lot earlier, lesson learnt) After sitting down for all of 20 seconds a lovely girl, Olivia greeted me with a sharpie in her hand, she explained that we were all doing numbers on our hands to keep the order of the queue so people couldn't push in, I thought and think that is a great idea, and it works, albeit sometimes less effective given the crowd.

I was bored out of my mind, there was no one to talk to, I was flying solo, to the left were chats of how amazing One Direction were, and to the right were people sleeping or reading, so I just sat there, counting down the hours. Soon enough the queue was stretched out to about 50 people, and venue security moved us out to line up infront of Gate A, reason we didn't line up there first was security needed the space to move in trucks and what not. I couldn't stand to be sitting there going stir crazy and plucked up the courage to talk to Olivia up the front, they all seemed to be having a good time, certainly better than me picking at the ground. This is where it was at. These were the people to know, interesting conversation, good people, the kind of die hard fans Coldplay are known for, the people I will remember and want to see queueing up in another 3/4 years.

It was a hot day, the sun beating down on us, the ground was asphalt, hot and dry. Water and food was a good 20 minute walk away, right down past the Hordern Pavillion. About 4:30 a buzz comes over the crowd, like it always does, everyone gets yet another wave of adrenaline hit their system, the queue would be over 1000 people long, the security presence builds, the tension build, because gates will soon be opened. The security team gets us ready to enter, telling us all the usual speech of not to run and all that. They start to open the gates and the crowd surges forward, your heart is beating a million miles per hour, to the left of me the crowd is stopped, but the right is open, I show the security guy my ticket and he lets me through. I'm not even looking back. I see that the crew I met at the queue are all good and I reach the turnstile, practically fumbling with my ticket, trying to get through that turnstile, there are people handing out Xylobands and they are getting slammed, I see there are about 10 people handing them out, and instead of waiting for the few people infront of me to get theirs, I just walk around and grab mine from one of the 6 or so people just standing there. Down the players tunnel and I get my Field A wristband from more people, same principle as before, get it from the person at the end and don't hold up the queue or wait behind anyone. There is the stage, there is the spot I want, and I got it, next to me is Mel and Olivia, success, time to let it sink in.

The crowd slowly increases in density, and surprisingly doesn't try to push. A first for any crowd when I have been on the barrier. The first support act comes on, The Pierces, and I like them, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but I do enjoy their music. The sun starts to fade on the horizon and the temperature drops, a chill is in the air, then red lights flood the stage and a noise swells as The Temper Trap enter, playing a set half Conditions and half from the new album, which I am personally not too keen on. They do get the whole crowed singing with Sweet Disposition, arguably their best song and last of their set. The stage is reset again and the bassy house music is turned up while the roadies prep for the main event, at one stage Bash (Will's Drum Tech) came down and I managed to score what is apparently one of 200 MX branded picks.

99 Problems by Jay-Z comes blaring from the PA, the final song before Coldplay come on stage, we are all singing along, the front row of the barrier is pinging. The video screens throw up a "Please put on your wristband, it's part of the show" referring to Jason Regler's Xylobands, the whole crowd gets the idea the band is moments away from coming on stage. The track ends, house lights turn off and the Back to the Future theme plays, concentric neon circles flashing up over the five large circular video screens. The track finishes and the band walk on and the crowd roars, Chris gets on the piano and begins playing Mylo Xyloto, the title track from the album, toward the end fireworks tear up into the sky and Hurts Like Heaven begins, everyone singing along, an amazing moment. The rest of the concert was amazing, I could go into it, but there are already some amazing reviews out there, and really, you had to be there to understand how awesome it really was.

The gig finished through a spectacular fireworks display during Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, and security ushered us all out. I spent some time after with Olivia and Mel discussing the gig, and then made the trek back into the city, me not being a city guy and not to crash hot with public transport decided to walk it, worth it too, only 30 minutes and I get to see some of the lovely architecture Sydney has on offer. Finally back in bed and set my alarm for 5am, only three hours sleep.

James and I got up at five and left to pick up his cousins, making it back to Allianz Stadium by 6:30am I think it was, to be fourth in line! April claiming the #1 spot and seasoned gigging couple #3,4. Unlike the Saturday barriers were already in place and we were infront of Gate A, the team at Allianz Stadium seemed more onto it. The crowd took a lot longer to build in size compared to Saturday, but it was still just as hot, no shade, no water, no food nearby, nothing. And toilets that remained ferral for a long time which meant the closest ones were nearly 20-30 minutes away, top effort guys. The concert went the same except this time I took Guy's side of the stage. This time however only 50 or so were let to stand wherever then they blocked the stage left off and let the right floor section fill up before opening up and letting the rest of the floor to fill up where we were, while they held the crowd back I managed to take this photo, quite surreal because usually you don't leave the barrier at all once you get it.

The gig went off without a hitch, April claimed an MX pick too from one of the Coldplay crew who personally came down and handed it to her! The final fireworks rained down and just like that, Coldplay and Sydney were finished, crew started bumping out the gig and we all left, with one final gig to go, Brisbane, and what an epic day that was.

Up we got and made the drive into Brisbane, arriving just before 4am, both April and Olivia were there along with a group who made the journey up from Hobart, it was great to be with these guys again and I had the feeling that this was going to be a day to remember. Suncorp Stadium staff were on hand all day, they had medics there, full shade over the queue lanes, food vans, cloaking, pre wrist banded and officially numbered by the staff so there was no arguments over who pushed in and no one could as each ticket was numbered. Between Olivia, April and Myself we attracted both TV and Radio attention, appearing on the Channel 10 news and being broadcasted on B105.

Bob Molden and Graeme Kan made sure all we all got in safely and in order, hats off to them both, they really made the day so stress free and one I will never forget. Bob personally walked us down to the floor and it all went like clockwork from there on. There was a great crew of us on Guy's side, April to the left of me, my Mum on the right, and Georgie and Jess next to her, Olivia and Con and the Hobart clan on the other side of the centre runway. Nothing better than having great people to chat with all day and have next to you on the barrier.

First off to hit the stage was Chris Martin himself! Introducing the support bands, great to have a little cameo appearance from him. The show was amazing, probably the best for me on this tour. Chris even sung a line from Swallowed in the Sea from Con's sign! The show wrapped up for the last time, and one of Guy's picks was thrown down, the security guard picked it up and he knew instantly who it was going to, April. Even though others tried to take it, she got it, and we were all stoked she did, if there is another Guy Berryman fan bigger than her I challenge you to find that person.

We all left the floor and I started asking everyone if they were keeping their Xylobands, because I wanted one of each colour, after many death stares and no's plenty of people didn't want them and I now have one of each colour! We saw the band leave, but they didn't stop, understandable given the size of the band now. We all headed our separate ways home, seeing each other off until another time. Such an amazing day, such amazing people. My heart goes out to these people, I have left last names of certain people incase they are uncomfortable. In no particular order.

April, Olivia, Mel, Con, Georgie, Jess, James, Susan, My Mum, Chris, Nadin, Natalie, Coldplay, Jackie Jackson, Bash & Matt, Jason Regler, Bob Molden, Graeme Kan along with Belinda and Megan from Suncorp Stadium.

[thanks Sam Webster] http://samwebster.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/coldplay-live-2012.html

• 2 weeks later...