✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay fan orchestra/band/choir...

coldlocked

Okay, I've only seen one response to the same thread in the Coldplay section so I'll try here....

I was thinking of having something like the Doctor Who and Sherlock fan orchestras where people submit videos of themselves playing/singing along to a song from their respective fandom, in this case, Coldplay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1YhlEmXkw]Doctor Who fan orchestra[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPO35TycXCw&feature=player_profilepage]Sherlock fan orchestra[/ame]

I just really think it would be a fantastic idea! Then somehow we can let Coldplay know...:sneaky:

I'm not meaning to be rude, but if this thread hasn't worked out in the Coldplay section, where a lot of the fanbase resides, what made you think it would work better in the Lounge, where such people are more scarce?

Anyway, as a musician, I could maybe imagine myself doing something like this. Maybe. Doesn't this require a good amount of people, though?

I'm not meaning to be rude, but if this thread hasn't worked out in the Coldplay section, where a lot of the fanbase resides, what made you think it would work better in the Lounge, where such people are more scarce?

Anyway, as a musician, I could maybe imagine myself doing something like this. Maybe. Doesn't this require a good amount of people, though?

It's good to be inclusive of everyone on coldplaying. Like I never go on the coldplay section anymore but I think it's a really cool idea. Sadly I don't play an instrument well enough :sad:

I just checked the submission list for Pursuit for the Sherlock Fan Orchestra, we had 96 participants (we have about 300 members total, but this song was ridiculously difficult so a lot of people pulled out). In the first video, the Main Theme, we had about 70 participants but that was out of about 100 members. The good thing about doing this arranging through online submission is that you can make sections louder and others quieter; you can control the balance. The bad thing about doing this through online submission is that you often get people who don't follow the click track, or who are horribly out of tune, or who really can't play, and you have be able to deal with that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you can struggle through an easy enough first piece with a few members, you'll get a bit of recognition and then people join pretty quickly.

With the SFO, I was one of the first ten members simply because I stumbled upon a post on tumblr. If you decide to do this, set up twitter, tumblr, facebook pages, etc. and try to get the word out there. This forum would actually make that really easy; it has a lot of traffic and a good amount of musicians (although you want a fan orchestra, yes? Not a guitar/bass/drum/piano sort of band).

We were lucky enough with the SFO that the composers are super nice; Michael Price and David Arnold are always promoting us and through twitter, we showed our video to Steven Moffat (creator of the show), Amanda Abbington and Martin Freeman, and Lara Pulver I believe. If you do this with Coldplay, don't be surprised if Coldplay never even hear the finished product.

Well I did it that way because the people in the Coldplay section tend to pay attention to just a few threads.... yeah.....

It does. But hey, it's worth a shot!

Not really the same, but a couple of us have Ben trying to get a Coldplaying band together for a while now. Here the link if your interested. I could maybe see us doing something like this (if we ever got our act together :P)

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92868

Coldplaying band. .-. WHY DID I NOT LOOK AT THAT?! But this could be bigger if we try? I guess?

It's good to be inclusive of everyone on coldplaying. Like I never go on the coldplay section anymore but I think it's a really cool idea. Sadly I don't play an instrument well enough :sad:

You can.... Be our first fan? Hm?

That awkward moment when I'm in one of those videos :|

I think it's a decent idea, if you can find people that are good at arranging music then plenty of people sign up. It's the organization that's difficult.

I'll try to find some people with arranging skills to help and I'll do some of it too I guess...

I just checked the submission list for Pursuit for the Sherlock Fan Orchestra, we had 96 participants (we have about 300 members total, but this song was ridiculously difficult so a lot of people pulled out). In the first video, the Main Theme, we had about 70 participants but that was out of about 100 members. The good thing about doing this arranging through online submission is that you can make sections louder and others quieter; you can control the balance. The bad thing about doing this through online submission is that you often get people who don't follow the click track, or who are horribly out of tune, or who really can't play, and you have be able to deal with that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you can struggle through an easy enough first piece with a few members, you'll get a bit of recognition and then people join pretty quickly.

With the SFO, I was one of the first ten members simply because I stumbled upon a post on tumblr. If you decide to do this, set up twitter, tumblr, facebook pages, etc. and try to get the word out there. This forum would actually make that really easy; it has a lot of traffic and a good amount of musicians (although you want a fan orchestra, yes? Not a guitar/bass/drum/piano sort of band).

We were lucky enough with the SFO that the composers are super nice; Michael Price and David Arnold are always promoting us and through twitter, we showed our video to Steven Moffat (creator of the show), Amanda Abbington and Martin Freeman, and Lara Pulver I believe. If you do this with Coldplay, don't be surprised if Coldplay never even hear the finished product.

Dang. I was kinda hoping for like an orchestra with all instruments and even drums and piano and bass and guitar.... This is going to be hard.

It's still worth a shot. So who's in?

I'll try to find some people with arranging skills to help and I'll do some of it too I guess...

Dang. I was kinda hoping for like an orchestra with all instruments and even drums and piano and bass and guitar.... This is going to be hard.

It's still worth a shot. So who's in?

I'm not trying to put you off, I think it's a good idea and I'd be more than willing to participate. However, I would suggest starting to arrange a song/finding someone who can arrange it first, and then once that's set and you feel comfortable with the arrangement, open it up to members. You don't want to get people's hopes up, then find out that Coldplay pop music just doesn't work with the instrumentation you have.

Also, I would suggest doing either an orchestra, or more of a rock band setup (guitar, bass, drums, piano). The electric instruments don't really mix with strings, woodwinds, brass, etc as a general rule; obviously that's different when you're making accompaniments for a rock song but that's not what you're doing here.

However, in the Sherlock Fan Orchestra, we have woodwinds (including double reeds), high and low brass, strings, piano, percussion, vocals, but we also have acoustic guitar, which I've seen in symphonic bands before.

If you want, I can send you a link to talk to some of the SFO organizers, maybe they can give you some pointers with arranging the music and mixing the submissions?